Please help! Question regarding my 5 yr undergrad and being a transfer student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

firebird69guy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone has had problems getting into medical school coming from a junior college.

Quick bio:
I went to a JC for 3 years before transferring to UC Davis (as a junior). My grades were good (3.7 GPA) but I just had to take a lot of prereqs because I came from a private Christian high school that didn't give much opportunity to excel in bio, physics, chem and math. So I basically started at the bottom at a JC... After transferring to UC Davis, I majored in Neurobiology Physiology and Behavior with a 3.67 overall GPA after graduating with lots of research, some clinical experience and 1 publication (second author). My BCMP GPA is approximately 3.6. After a 26R on the April 2004 MCAT (10P 9B 7V), I am retaking April 2005.

So with my 5 year undergrad, which I took about 12-16 units per semester/quarter, am I at a disadvantage? I know some people that have in 5 years have graduated with a double major... They've done 2 majors in the time it took me to do 1.

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

You won't have any problems. Besides, you can't contol it now anyway. Improve your MCAT and you will have the stats to get in.