MD & DO Please help... Rough MCAT... School List Overhaul

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

awils77

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! First, thanks for taking a look here and thank you in advance to anyone who leaves their input.

- 3.85 cGPA, 3.83 sGPA Kinesiology Major
- IL resident
- student-athlete
- solid LOR's
- good interviewer
- 1 year of research (3 different projects), 20 hrs shadowing, 50 hrs DPT shadowing at hospital, 1 year tutoring, 1 year chemistry teaching assistant, CNA experience
- non-traditional: just graduated this past May and will be working in a physiology lab at a top tier pharmacy school this year, also will be adding more shadowing hours
- first time applying (originally pre-PT, but changed last minute right before my senior year)

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask! I feel as though I will still be competitive at DO schools, but I need to modify my MD list and possibly add some I do not currently have.

I would like to apply to a few more than just the instate schools I have listed below. If you agree with my current choices or have any additional schools in mind in which I may at least have a shot at an interview, let me know.

Current MD schools applying to:
Southern Illinois
University of Illinois

Original List that I am iffy about now:

Rosalind Franklin
Medical College of Wisconsin
Rush Medical College
Loyola

Original List that I have deleted after preliminary score
:
University of Indiana
University of Iowa
University of MN
Saint Louis University
Georgetown
Creighton

Currently have my application in at 8 DO schools as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hard to recommend applying to many MD schools outside of Illinois. Maybe try your luck and pray at WVU, TCMC, Penn State, Loma Linda(if you fit the mission), particularly if your MCAT score ends up on the high end of that range and equates to a 27. Maybe give a stab to some of the new schools Oakland, Quinnipac and Western Michigan as well.

Your best shot MD wise will be at Southern Illinois. You'll be fine for almost any DO school.

You have a chance at your 2 state schools and Rush, Loyola and Rosalind Franklin. You could add some of the newer MD schools such as Quinnipiac, Oakland Beaumont, Western Michigan and California Northstate (new school). You should be fine for a DO acceptance as long as you apply to at least 12 schools.

Thank you both for your replies! This helps out a lot. Here is the new list I am thinking of.

U of Illinois
SIU
Indiana
Loyola
Rush
Rosalind Franklin
Penn State
Western Michigan
Qunnipiac
Oakland Beaumont
TCMC
MCW
Creighton
(Plus the 8 DO schools I have applied to)

For the next few weeks, I will also keep it in my prayers that my final score ends on the high end of my percentile range!:xf: