Please help: RUSH vs. SIU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mandark20

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to decide between these two. Southern Illinois U SOM will be ~60K less over 4 years but they have a 100% Pbl curriculum and I don't know whether I will GET everything and be prepared for boards and such. Though I know I'm self-motivated for self study, it scares me that I won't get all I need to know. Also, the first two years of siu are P/F whereas rush is P/F/H. The last two years are PFH for siu and p/f/hp/h, i think for rush. Is there a reputation diff between the schools, one is obviously in Chicago and I know Rush-presbytarian and cook county are better hospitals. Their curriculum is also more traditional/lecture based. Will my residecy/board scores be affected? Thanks a bunch.

Members don't see this ad.

thanks, but what is your rationale, if I may ask, just so I know. thanks for the reply though. Anyone else with thoughts is greatly appreciated.

Also will it make a diff as far as competitive residency? thanks.

And how different are these schools from MCW?

Members don't see this ad :)
Mandark20,

If you don't mind me asking...what were your stats? I'm from Southern Illinois and will be applying to both schools next year. Your response will be greatly appreciated. Also, if you don't want to post your info here, you can send me a private message and I can get it that way. Thanks again.

Atlas

I've read that RUSH students are polled as being some of the happiest and most content med students in the country (the data came from a med school book from 1998-1999). Good luck, and I'm sure that you'll enjoy your experience regardless of your selection.

Mandark,

I interviewed at both schools. From your post, it seems that you are mainly concerned with the quality of education and price, so I'll address those.

From what I gathered, you will get just as good of an education at SIU as Rush. They both emphasize primary care. Rush is nationally recognized in Primary Care whereas Rush is not. But I have heard that SIU emphasizes "rural" primary care. Both schools seemed to have a very friendly, non-competitive, and in fact collaborative atmosphere.

The biggest or most noticeable difference between the schools that I found was location. Rush is in Chicago, and SIU is in southern Illinois. So basically do you think it is worth the extra money to be in a metropolitan area? If a small, rural setting and the people doesn't bother you then go to SIU. On the other hand, if you think you will be miserable in "po dunk" Illinois go to Rush. While I have heard that people are generally pretty satisfied at Rush, I have heard that people are either disatisfied or satisfied with SIU primarily b/c of the town and people.

Just a note to add to md_2005's post...
SIU is (according to US News) ranked/recognized in both primary care and rural medicine.
However, this gets into the whole business of rankings, etc, which was not my intention. I would also agree with md_2005 that the atmosphere is collaborative and friendly. the MDs and PhDs are also (in general) friendly and willing to help out.