Please help! September MCAT - should I take a gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spyderweb

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm in a bit of a serious predicament right now in terms of app cycles and I wanted everyone's advice.

I was scheduled to take the July 25th MCAT (less than 3 weeks away), but I got deathly sick about 3 weeks recently and lost a lot of studying time. I took my practice test yesterday and got a 26 (8P/10V/8B), this is without finishing content review/not having done practice problems in nearly a month. Most of my errors were stupid math mistakes, and the others were things I didn't know at all because I hadn't studied them yet.

I was thinking of rescheduling the MCAT to September 12th so I have more time to improve my score. That means I'll get my scores back mid October (around the time most schools are giving out their first acceptances). Assuming I got a 30+, I'll be getting secondaries/interviews in November?

I started my application but haven't submitted it yet. I have my LORs in, my transcripts in, my personal statement is done, and I'll be finishing up my activities. All I have to do is submit it and get verified.

My question is -- should I apply this year, if I take the September 12th MCAT? Or should I take a gap year? If I decide to go through with applying this year, how much will it hurt my chances of getting accepted somewhere this year? The reason why I haven't submitted my app yet is because I don't want to apply this year and for whatever reason have to be a reapplicant next year.

I am not a URM, though I am disadvantaged, I have a 3.82 cumulative GPA, 100 hospital volunteer work, about 400 hours in other community service, 70 hours in shadowing, 300+ hours in research, I've attended several conferences and won 2nd place in one of them for my research. I'm also involved in many clubs.

Thank you so much.

EDIT ---- I am also verified for FAP so I get to apply to 15 schools for free (primary app), since I know people bring up application fees a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

You will be at a disadvantage, and ultimately waste time. You might get an acceptance, if you get a 33+, but you will have to do really well on the MCAT. I suggest you reschedule for October/November, kill the exam then apply for the next cycle.

Even though you will have everything done Mid-October, it still takes time for them to receive all your information and by the time you finish secondaries it will probably be November. You have a great GPA and with a solid MCAT you will be very competitive come next cycle. Also, you can beef up your application even more during the Spring time before you apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
September 12th MCAT means you will be complete mid October at the earliest, which is rather late. So it would be a gamble; if I was in your position I would wait and apply next year. It'll give you extra time to study and build your ECs as well.

Reactions: 1 user
What if I went ahead and submitted my application, took the July 25th MCAT, signed up for September MCAT (there are a lot of spots open in my area), and if I scored low, retake in September and go with that? Or does that just hurt my chances even more, had I just taken it once in September and scored well?

What if I went ahead and submitted my application, took the July 25th MCAT, signed up for September MCAT (there are a lot of spots open in my area), and if I scored low, retake in September and go with that? Or does that just hurt my chances even more, had I just taken it once in September and scored well?

Or you can do well on the MCAT in september and apply on time in next cycle...

If you rush to take the July 25th MCAT and score low, now you're in trouble. You'll have to score very high to offset the low score. It's always best to put your best foot forward; don't take the MCAT anticipating retakes, and don't apply if you're significantly late. You want to maximize your chances and be successful in 1 try.

So, just timing wise, it's just better to take a gap year overall? Even if, let's say, I only take the MCAT in september once and score 30+?

Also, I've heard that most people who end up as re-applicants have to reapply because they applied so late into the cycle, despite being a good candidate. Is that true?

Also, I've heard that most people who end up as re-applicants have to reapply because they applied so late into the cycle, despite being a good candidate. Is that true?
That, or they didn't have all the usual and customary ECs, which they amended throughout the first application season.

Some schools don't begin to review applications until fall. You might check on your state schools and see if any follow that path, as they'd still be decent shots for you.

That, or they didn't have all the usual and customary ECs, which they amended throughout the first application season.

Some schools don't begin to review applications until fall. You might check on your state schools and see if any follow that path, as they'd still be decent shots for you.
I need to stop reading these posts about applying too late. My application is submitted but I'm scheduled to take the MCAT in August. Thank you for the advice to check with the schools I'm most interested in for when they start reviewing applications, which happen to be my state schools. Although I'm not exactly sure how much that helps. Wouldn't they still review in chronological order of application receipt?

Wouldn't they still review in chronological order of application receipt?
No. Are you familiar with the concept of "cherry picking" where the ripest, or lowest hanging, or the sweetest fruit is harvested first? Med schools often give first attention to applications that most strongly fulfill their favored criteria.

No. Are you familiar with the concept of "cherry picking" where the ripest, or lowest hanging, or the sweetest fruit is harvested first? Med schools often give first attention to applications that most strongly fulfill their favored criteria.
Guess I can put all that energy stressing about a later MCAT date into getting a great score...and make my application more favorable. You've been a huge help with your replies to my personal questions and what I've learned from your answers to other people's questions. Thank you.

So it sounds like you're telling me I should still submit my app and go through with this application cycle? I checked my schools (Florida) and they all start interviews in September, or August.

So it sounds like you're telling me I should still submit my app and go through with this application cycle? I checked my schools (Florida) and they all start interviews in September, or August.
Technically, August and most of September aren't "Fall", so I'm telling you not to completely dismiss the idea of applying until you check with an advisor or past Florida applicants, or review last year's School Specific threads to confirm that your application won't be seriously disadvantaged by a late application. I do not have enough insight into the precesses of your state schools to give you a green light.

Technically, August and most of September aren't "Fall", so I'm telling you not to completely dismiss the idea of applying until you check with an advisor or past Florida applicants, or review last year's School Specific threads to confirm that your application won't be seriously disadvantaged by a late application. I do not have enough insight into the precesses of your state schools to give you a green light.

Thank you so much for answering. The general consensus seems to be to take the gap year but it's nice to know there's still some kind of hope for interviews and such in case I decide to apply this year.

Do you really want to be a reapplicant to all your prime schools? As a reapplicant, ADCOM's will want to know what you've done to improve your application. Simply applying earlier is usually not a sufficient answer. Most Florida schools do rolling interviews. I was complete in July and already had an II in August. You're behind the power curve if you're complete in October. Wait a year, strengthen your app, kill your MCAT, and only have to do this dog and pony show once.

Do you really want to be a reapplicant to all your prime schools? As a reapplicant, ADCOM's will want to know what you've done to improve your application. Simply applying earlier is usually not a sufficient answer. Most Florida schools do rolling interviews. I was complete in July and already had an II in August. You're behind the power curve if you're complete in October. Wait a year, strengthen your app, kill your MCAT, and only have to do this dog and pony show once.
Do they ask you what you did to improve your application, or why did you have to reapply, or both? As in, is there a searate essay/section for applicants just for that? Sorry, I'm not familiar with that process... also, If the most likely reason you didn't get in is that you were late in the cycle, if you tell them that was the reason you had to reapply, is that looked badly upon?