*Please Help!* Small Fib on Application Okay? :T

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

princessbbn

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here's the problem: I am debating retaking the MCAT (mid-late July) BUT I definitely do not want AMCAS/TMDSAS to hold my application until mid-late August (when my scores would come in) because an application that late (and *especially* without spectacular stats) is essentially ----->:beat: Therefore, I was planning on just submitting (and stating on my application that I do not plan on taking the MCAT again :oops: ) and just updating all the schools later once my score is in....my MCAT at the moment is subpar (29) but I would still much rather risk them considering my application with just that score than a late application with a slightly higher score.....therefore, do you think this would be allowed? I mean....what happens to applicants who really do decide to take the MCAT after submitting their application? So basically, in summary, is the intent of not taking any future MCATs *binding*? ANY and ALL help would be appreciated.....thanks so much in advance! :hardy:

Members don't see this ad.

Just state that you plan on taking the MCAT again, they'll still look at your application with your current 29. Mid-August isn't late for getting your application in and what happens if you score lower than a 29???

So here's the problem: I am debating retaking the MCAT (mid-late July) BUT I definitely do not want AMCAS/TMDSAS to hold my application until mid-late August (when my scores would come in) because an application that late (and *especially* without spectacular stats) is essentially ----->:beat: Therefore, I was planning on just submitting (and stating on my application that I do not plan on taking the MCAT again :oops: ) and just updating all the schools later once my score is in....my MCAT at the moment is subpar (29) but I would still much rather risk them considering my application with just that score than a late application with a slightly higher score.....therefore, do you think this would be allowed? I mean....what happens to applicants who really do decide to take the MCAT after submitting their application? So basically, in summary, is the intent of not taking any future MCATs *binding*? ANY and ALL help would be appreciated.....thanks so much in advance! :hardy:

A 29 isn't exactly sub-par. I'd say it's average. Average MCATs get into medical school. What's your GPA?

Statistically, you have a higher chance of scoring lower the second time around than you do improving. Do you really need to take it again?

Mark that you plan on taking the MCAT again. Schools will process your application up until the secondary, maybe further if 29 sits well with your application and schools don't need to see another number. For the schools that want to see the next score, they will decide on an interview as soon as they get the second number. This is not a big deal. You will still be early in the process.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't lie, they'll still look at your app I think but wait for the 2nd set in case you're marginal. If they were gonna take you with the 29 it wouldn't really matter that you were taking it again you know.

for some schools i applied to, they specifically said that they would look at your file once..plus, on their secondary they ask you if you are waiting for mcat scores or plan on taking it soon...so, since you've taken the mcat, if you want you can have them look at your 29 now, expediting the review of your app..or wait til the new mcat score comes out, which might pose a delay in them looking over your app..but if your app is strong in other areas, this "delay" shouldn't be a problem...

with a 29 and around a 3.5 gpa i would think at least your state schools would interview you (unless you're from california).

do you really have to take it again?

Reactions: 1 user
Just state that you plan on taking the MCAT again, they'll still look at your application with your current 29. Mid-August isn't late for getting your application in and what happens if you score lower than a 29???

OP, PLEASE READ:

What the posters above are saying was NOT my experience. I was pretty much in the same boat last year around. I had scored a 31 in Aug '05(but that included a 7 on PS, and I personally KNEW I could do better) so I planned on retaking it Aug '06.

I just assumed that the schools would consider my application with my original score, and I would just be able to update them with my new score. I decided to call and check to be sure. I applied to 25+ schools, and each of them told me that if I checked the "taking MCAT again" box - my application would not be complete until the scores came out. I decided to check the box anyway, hoping my better score would make up for my lateness.

I found out that even though they all told me that my application wouldn't ce complete until scores came back, it meant different things for different schools. For instance: Pittsburgh and Utah (my state school) invited me for an interview the very day that scores came back. I think that Pittsburgh has an auto-invite system, but it leads me to believe that Utah had already considered my application and decided to interview me (based on my original score) .... but they couldn't extend the offer until they got my scores and I was officially complete.

I filled out all of my secondaries quite awhile before my scores came back (even some schools that screen your secondary) but as I returned secondaries and paid fees, I was told that my application would not be "reviewed for an interview decision" until they received (in in some cases "verified") my MCAT score.

Call each school you are applying to so that you know exactly what is going on.