PLEASE HELP! Special CASE.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The MCAT doesn't test in depth physics. Nobody said in depth anything. Everyone needs a strong foundation in the basic scientific disciplines which include chemistry, biology, and physics. To understand the circulatory system, you need physics. To understand trauma or injuries you need physics. You don't need to study heavy physics, but you need the concepts. Furthermore, being able to demonstrate it on the exam that decides your medical school chances shows how well you understood your school work and how competent you are. It is only one subject though. Same thing holds for chemistry, orgo, sociology, psychology, biology, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
The MCAT doesn't test in depth physics. Nobody said in depth anything. Everyone needs a strong foundation in the basic scientific disciplines which include chemistry, biology, and physics. To understand the circulatory system, you need physics. To understand trauma or injuries you need physics. You don't need to heavy physics, but you need the concepts. Furthermore, being able to demonstrate it on the exam that decides your medical school chances shows how well you competent you are.
So please answer my questions how can physics relate to you being in the OR repairing a hernia?

Does calculating voltage and resistance make you interact better with a patient? or even help diagnose the patient?
The hurdles to physicianhood are many.
In order to get to the point where your skills may be employed to a patient's benefit you have to pass them all.
There is no need to curse them or those who did well on them.
The people here are giving realistic reflections on the challenges ahead, not judging you for weaknesses in your application. The admissions committees will be doing that in good time.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like you have already made up your mind. Not gonna fuel this any further. Wish you the best of luck because I looked at this thread to help you, not to argue.

Boy-That-Escalated-Quickly-Anchorman.gif

Does calculating voltage and resistance make you interact better with a patient? or even help diagnose the patient?
It's the reasoning abilities being tested that matter, not the content itself. Problem solving skills are important.

I didn't study actually and got these scores. Of course you are gonna think I'm a liar.
I absolutely believe you, your first score was less than 30th percentile, I have a hard time believing anyone scores that poorly unless they're going in grossly unprepared

Go study physics because this will somehow make you a better doctor.

:eyebrow:

You don't know what is my native language, you ignorant person. Please let's not talk about countries because this can be really offensive and serious.

Word of advice: if you need help, take it. Don't attack people for no reason. And seriously, you need to grow a much much thicker skin.

The admissions committees will be doing that in good time.
Holy **** gyngyn...savage
Judging is our job. I think OP knows that.
It's not personal. It just feels that way.

That'll be one sight to see for sure.

Reactions: 1 users
So a person who didn't get the MCAT score they were hoping for and a person got a 40+ are arguing about the merits of the MCAT...........what a shocker. Never saw this one coming.

So a person who didn't get the MCAT score they were hoping for and a person got a 40+ are arguing about the merits of the MCAT...........what a shocker. Never saw this one coming.
I think the MCAT is a steaming pile of crap

Aside from the obvious that the adcoms and AAMC know best, the guy who got a 40+ is actually correct.

Members don't see this ad :)

Word of advice: if you need help, take it. Don't attack people for no reason. And seriously, you need to grow a much much thicker skin.

That'll be one sight to see for sure.
Trust me you don't need to tell me what to do or grow :) You don't know me so don't tell me what to do. You can do that to people who you know not people from another continent who have seen things you would never see in movies. :)

Trust me you don't need to tell me what to do or grow :) You don't know me so don't tell me what to do. You can do that to people who you know not people from another continent who have seen things you would never see in movies. :)

Cool story bro. Remember you're asking for advice on SDN, only to attack people who are helping you out. But hey, by all means, go for it and apply away. The adcoms will be having a lot of fun.

Ironically, it was you who asked for our opinion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users
How someone who went through hell like you is this easily hurt by posts on the internet is beyond me. The first things that set you off were not malicious in the slightest!

Last edited:
Funny how OP posted the same thread three months ago.

I'm going to be blunt. The GPA of 4.0 becomes very puzzling in light of MCAT performance like this. If language is the issue, how did the OP manage a 4.0 in undergraduate classes? The MCAT taken twice and worse the second time around and averaging 23 is of concern. Experience tells us that while the majority of students who are admitted to medical school with such a score are able to successfully complete medical school, the proportion who do so is less than the proportion of students with scores of 26 or more who graduate. Many (most?)schools won't take a chance on such a applicant.

The MCAT is a pain to prepare for and so are the Board exams and the re-certification exams that you will be taking for the rest of your life if you become a licensed, board certified physician. Maybe a different career is a better fit given your test taking skills.

Smacked it out of the ballpark.

So please answer my questions how can physics relate to you being in the OR repairing a hernia?

I'm a dermatologist who treats patients with lasers. I need to understand light and laser properties correctly or I can injure patients.

There is a reason why individuals who are not MDs may often have a higher likelihood of harming patients with these devices. Because they often do not have the basic understanding or grasp of the physical concepts relating to the devices.

I am 10 years post MCAT but am still asked questions where I have to apply light and energy calculation questions as they relate to narrowband UVB and other light therapy treatments.

Talk to a radiation oncologist and see how much a basic understanding of physics concepts relates to their field.

Your view of medical specialties is quite shortsided...not everyone who enters medical school will go into a field that doesn't rely on basic physics concepts at least in part.

Last edited:
Darn damning verdicts from the big three: goro, gyngyn, and LizzyM.

This is actually hilarious. Also...you said "you didn't study and got these scores"...well other people studied and got better scores and well they're going to medical school so who gives a f*ck if you didn't study and got those scores? That's like people saying "oh I didn't work hard I got a 3.0, but that guy over there busted his balls and got a 4.0"...well that guy who busted his balls is going to be succeeding in life whereas you won't lol. Natural intelligence doesn't replace hard work whatsoever.

also OP, knowing physics won't help repair a hernia. That you are correct on. You are missing the point the MCAT tests. It tests your ability to handle pressure. You're taking one test to make or break your medical career (obviously you get up to 3 chances ect so it's not that dire), but it's a reflection of handling pressure. Either way your score + your excuse for your score are showing character flaws. In the OR, you're not going to have the opportunity to say "i'll study more to reapir this dissecting aorta that's going to cause my patient to bleed to death in the next 20 minutes if I don't fix it".

Moreover, OP, you're making it sound as if your history and your 4.0 GPA makes you deserving of acceptance. Nobody deserves an acceptance. Everybody goes through something in their life. My freshman year, I was working 25 hours/wk while taking 5+ classes every semester to provide for my family since we had 4 other people living with us from India. My sophomore year, my grandmother and grandfather, the two who basically raised me since my parents are immigrants working double jobs everyday, passed away within 2 months of each other. My junior year, my dad was diagnosed with cancer. My senior year, I began working a full time job while researching, doing an internship and taking classes. My grades have gone up every semester, yet I'm not sitting here thinking that I "deserve" to go to medical school.

Ehhh I tend to think its in OPs best interest to give it a go this cycle and see what happens before retaking the MCAT for a 3rd time.[/QUOTE]

GrapesofRath, after being a long time lurker I would normally agree with you. However after looking at old posts OP's MCAT didn't go from a 21 to a 25 it actually wen't from a 25 to a 21. This gives no chance for any MD schools and I would be highly surprised if any DO schools in the country would accept this. OP your only chance for medical school at this point is to retake the MCAT and to score very high (29+ for DO school).

woah it went from 25 to 21....yeah that's a shot in teh foot

This is actually hilarious. Also...you said "you didn't study and got these scores"...well other people studied and got better scores and well they're going to medical school so who gives a f*ck if you didn't study and got those scores? That's like people saying "oh I didn't work hard I got a 3.0, but that guy over there busted his balls and got a 4.0"...well that guy who busted his balls is going to be succeeding in life whereas you won't lol. Natural intelligence doesn't replace hard work whatsoever.

also OP, knowing physics won't help repair a hernia. That you are correct on. You are missing the point the MCAT tests. It tests your ability to handle pressure. You're taking one test to make or break your medical career (obviously you get up to 3 chances ect so it's not that dire), but it's a reflection of handling pressure. Either way your score + your excuse for your score are showing character flaws. In the OR, you're not going to have the opportunity to say "i'll study more to reapir this dissecting aorta that's going to cause my patient to bleed to death in the next 20 minutes if I don't fix it".

Moreover, OP, you're making it sound as if your history and your 4.0 GPA makes you deserving of acceptance. Nobody deserves an acceptance. Everybody goes through something in their life. My freshman year, I was working 25 hours/wk while taking 5+ classes every semester to provide for my family since we had 4 other people living with us from India. My sophomore year, my grandmother and grandfather, the two who basically raised me since my parents are immigrants working double jobs everyday, passed away within 2 months of each other. My junior year, my dad was diagnosed with cancer. My senior year, I began working a full time job while researching, doing an internship and taking classes. My grades have gone up every semester, yet I'm not sitting here thinking that I "deserve" to go to medical school.
Who gives a f*** about you working this amount of hours. Who gives a f**k about your dad having cancer. My dad was gonna die in front of me, I didn't know he was gonna die like cancer patients do. I defended my home with my bare hands because people were attacking us. It was a civil war if you are not ignorant enough to know this. I'm not saying I deserve medical school. Thanks for everyone who offered me advice. I will re take the MCAT even though associate deans already told me you are good because of my background and life experiences. Everything here is biased and there is a lot of discrimination and racism. It is sad! But it is okay people here need to know that other people from other country can come and do better :) It is just a fact.

lolololol when your dad is in a hypotensive crisis due to a critically low hemoglobin level with no perfusion to his brain, kidney's or liver, I think that categorizes him dying in front of me.
Who gives a f*** about you working this amount of hours. Who gives a f**k about your dad having cancer. My dad was gonna die in front of me, I didn't know he was gonna die like cancer patients do. I defended my home with my bare hands because people were attacking us. It was a civil war if you are not ignorant enough to know this. I'm not saying I deserve medical school. Thanks for everyone who offered me advice. I will re take the MCAT even though associate deans already told me you are good because of my background and life experiences. Everything here is biased and there is a lot of discrimination and racism. It is sad! But it is okay people here need to know that other people from other country can come and do better :) It is just a fact.

Let it go, efle.

People with a 4.0 and 40 from my university have a 100% accept rate, in fact even a 3.8 and 39 puts you in the 100% accept rate bin. Nice try though.

I really hope something is lost in translation here, because it sounds like you think being a surgeon can be done by anybody and is basically following a recipe. That is hilarious.

Should you receive any interviews, you should try to conceal your hatred of "book" people, because strong test takers (esp from privilaged backgrounds) abound in the med process. You also should stop trying to use your 4.0 as a shield for questions about your academic savvy, because there are many, many 4.0s of little worth out there, hence the MCAT's role as The Great Equalizer in this process.

I think it's fair to say that this thread should be closed now. Not sure if that is standard practice though.

Who gives a f**k about your dad having cancer.

That is an absolutely horrible, awful thing to say. You should be ashamed of yourself. I would not want anyone with that attitude being a physician.

You have just displayed total lack of compassion. The antithesis of what a physician is supposed to be.

OP, I think it's important to say that I think most people here can respect the difficulty and the adversity you have been able to overcome. I think most would also say that going through those experiences would make a candidate a valuable member of a med school class and health care team.

All of this is true, only if they also had the academic chops to pass their classes and boards. You asked for people's opinions, and they said that they didn't think your stats show someone who is overly qualified to get a seat in a med school class. You admitted that you didn't study and did poorly on the mcat. That is not the decision making of someone who will be successful in this process. Why take the MCAT twice if you aren't going to work to improve? It doesn't make sense. None of what you have posted gives the indication that you have given much thought to your plan.

This doesn't begin to touch on how silly it is for people to make a thread and then get upset if they don't hear exactly what they want to hear. Especially if you just heard the same thing 3 months ago.

The fact that OP edited his original post and changed his stats makes me think we have a troll on our hands.

The fact that OP edited his original post and changed his stats makes me think we have a troll on our hands.

How about you let it go? it was just a typo? I'm pretty sure I have a 4.0 so I know how to add up better than you :)

He did a sloppy job of it, left references to the 4.0 that's now a 3.7

OP strikes me as being not quite in touch with reality, and clearly upset by his situation... I think it is more likely they're lying in an effort at self protection rather than trolling

One should not want to go into medicine with this level of insecurity and anger.... A physician should be calm at the very least.