USMLE Please help stuck at 239

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Md Blast

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please advise me to what I can do to raise above a 245, I take the exam in 1 week. After taking nbme 16 I decided to give Rewatch all pathoma vids in 2 days followed by Reading FA a second time. I am about halfway through FA but I dont feel it is helping. I've been doing 1 block uw a day just to keep up with the questions still have about 400 to go.
Nbme 16 239(10 days ago)
Nbme 17 239(today)

What is the best move for my last weak? Finish reading FA? Reread weak areas of FA only? Go balls out doing questions on UW & redo my wrong questions? I noticed nbme 17 had quite a few neuroanatomy images(brainstem etc) where I'm kind of weak should I focus a day on that?

Please help me out here I'm getting desperate any and all advice will be appreciated! 7 days till step.

Members don't see this ad.

Please advise me to what I can do to raise above a 245, I take the exam in 1 week. After taking nbme 16 I decided to give Rewatch all pathoma vids in 2 days followed by Reading FA a second time. I am about halfway through FA but I dont feel it is helping. I've been doing 1 block uw a day just to keep up with the questions still have about 400 to go.
Nbme 16 239(10 days ago)
Nbme 17 239(today)

What is the best move for my last weak? Finish reading FA? Reread weak areas of FA only? Go balls out doing questions on UW & redo my wrong questions? I noticed nbme 17 had quite a few neuroanatomy images(brainstem etc) where I'm kind of weak should I focus a day on that?

Please help me out here I'm getting desperate any and all advice will be appreciated! 7 days till step.

T-7 days here too!

I can only tell you what I'm doing, hope it helps...

1a. 3rd pass through first aid (I'm more than halfway through atm) and starting a 4th pass when that's done
1b. Doing first aid q&a questions in tandem with the chapters in first aid.
2. NBME 18
3. Uworld incorrects and the rest of my unused <150 questions
4. After NBME 18, compiling all my NBME incorrects from NBMEs 11-18 except 12 which I didn't do
5. anatomy questions from Lippincotts Q & A (probably pelvis, abdomen and limbs)
6. Quick look through grant's atlas, visualizing were everything is helps me remember stuff, also it has some radiological scans
7. Free 120? questions using the FRED thingy on the USMLE website
8. I've been hearing parasites are being tested on more? so I'll go over them using flashcards...better safe than sorry.

I am kind of all over the place but my priorities are first aid and uworld. Best of luck.

Reactions: 2 users
T-7 days here too!

1a. 3rd pass through first aid (I'm more than halfway through atm) and starting a 4th pass when that's done
2. NBME 18
4. After NBME 18, compiling all my NBME incorrects from NBMEs 11-18 except 12 which I didn't do
5. anatomy questions from Lippincotts Q & A (probably pelvis, abdomen and limbs)
6. Quick look through grant's atlas, visualizing were everything is helps me remember stuff, also it has some radiological scans
8. I've been hearing parasites are being tested on more? so I'll go over them using flashcards...better safe than sorry.

I am kind of all over the place but my priorities are first aid and uworld. Best of luck.

Thanks for sharing your schedule!
Got a few questions:

Ive heard of the "free 120" but have heard its "too easy" or "over predicts exageratively" you think its worth it?
I also read some say that 18 score was much higher than 16/17. Do you believe spending 4 hours on another nbme at this point is worth it?(I've only taken 3)

Would you say your are going to spend more time on FA than questions? Or vice versa? I feel I read in zombie mode when I read FA although I know it's high yield but I believe I learn more concept with Qs and only memorize details in FA.

So at this point what is more high yield? Memorizing small details/Facts to regurgitate or learning/refreshing concepts? I'm stressing because I feel like I can either Half ass both FA & UW or choose one of the two & hit that one hard with the time I have left.

Reactions: 1 user
T-7 days here too!

2. NBME 18

What questions Are u referring to in 1b? Usmle rx?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for sharing your schedule!
Got a few questions:

Ive heard of the "free 120" but have heard its "too easy" or "over predicts exageratively" you think its worth it?
I also read some say that 18 score was much higher than 16/17. Do you believe spending 4 hours on another nbme at this point is worth it?(I've only taken 3)

Would you say your are going to spend more time on FA than questions? Or vice versa? I feel I read in zombie mode when I read FA although I know it's high yield but I believe I learn more concept with Qs and only memorize details in FA.

So at this point what is more high yield? Memorizing small details/Facts to regurgitate or learning/refreshing concepts? I'm stressing because I feel like I can either Half ass both FA & UW or choose one of the two & hit that one hard with the time I have left.

I'm a 'do everything possible even at the last minute' kind of person so I wouldn't say doing NBME 18 or the free 120 are a waste of my time. Whether you want to spend 4 hours of your time and $60 is completely up to you. But, what I do when I'm short on time is make a scale of preference i.e. prioritize what I think would be more beneficial ('high yield') for me to spend my time on while the other stuff I can do after, if there's time. My point being, I think you're in the best position to decide between uworld and first aid if you can't do both.

In these last days, all we can try and do is consolidate what we have already learnt so trust in your preparation thus far...Rome wasn't built in t-7 days.

Nbme 16 239(10 days ago)
Nbme 17 239(today)

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/limited-time-uworld-or-fa.1208970/

Don't touch UW within 10-14 days of the exam, even if you haven't finished it. Final days should be alternating/intercalated NBMEs and FA. The NBMEs are the USMLE, not UW. If you don't allow your mind to disengage from UW-thinking during your end-game you're going to over-think things on the real deal.

Thanks for the link ashniffler.

Do you or anyone else have an opinion about taking nbmes the last 2-3 days?

I'm debating whether or not to take nbme 18 just for the experience & to get me "warmed up" for the real deal type of question.

I'm debating whether or not to take nbme 18 just for the experience & to get me "warmed up" for the real deal type of question.

I took NBME 18 yesterday, can't say I regret it. But I wouldn't do it super close like the day before or something.

I did the free 120 the day before, and that was good for me. I had a friend take NBME18 and their score went down 10 points compared to NBME 17, so I Was very hesitant to take it (I was a week out) becaus I didn't want to mess with my head. I took it anyway and ended up going up, but if you are a person who can be easily shaken by a score change I'd be hesitant.

If youve only done two NBME's I would spend the last days doing as many questions as I could. I took my test a few days ago, and having several assessments under my best was definitely to my benefit.

I did the free 120 the day before, and that was good for me. I had a friend take NBME18 and their score went down 10 points compared to NBME 17, so I Was very hesitant to take it (I was a week out) becaus I didn't want to mess with my head. I took it anyway and ended up going up, but if you are a person who can be easily shaken by a score change I'd be hesitant.

If youve only done two NBME's I would spend the last days doing as many questions as I could. I took my test a few days ago, and having several assessments under my best was definitely to my benefit.

When you say questions do you mean uw or nbme or other? In the link above phloston has a good point about not doing uw the last few days/weeks because it makes you overthink. I'm trying to take in everyone's opinions to help me decide if I should do the nbme tomorrow or something else.

Ps I already did 15 & uwsa 1 & 2 about 6 weeks ago before my study period began. 16 & 17 were just my two most recent.

When you say questions do you mean uw or nbme or other? In the link above phloston has a good point about not doing uw the last few days/weeks because it makes you overthink. I'm trying to take in everyone's opinions to help me decide if I should do the nbme tomorrow or something else.

Ps I already did 15 & uwsa 1 & 2 about 6 weeks ago before my study period began. 16 & 17 were just my two most recent.

Oh ok, that's good then! When I said questions I just meant from anywhere.

I did Uworld up until the day before my test (finished a second time), and I'm glad I did. I thought NBME 18 was differnt than the others in that the stems were a bit longer. Since its the most recent one out, I'm glad I did it. A lot of people swear they see NBME questions on their Step, and this wasn't the case for me, but just seeing tons of questions was good.

I guess it just depends on how youll be mentally. If seeing a drop in NBME 18 will shake you up I wouldn't do it. I would highly recommend the free 120 though

I did Uworld up until the day before my test (finished a second time), and I'm glad I did. I thought NBME 18 was differnt than the others in that the stems were a bit longer. Since its the most recent one out, I'm glad I did it. A lot of people swear they see NBME questions on their Step, and this wasn't the case for me, but just seeing tons of questions was good.

I guess it just depends on how youll be mentally. If seeing a drop in NBME 18 will shake you up I wouldn't do it. I would highly recommend the free 120 though

Agreed. I was mentally prepared for a drop, it happened, I'm over it. If you know it will scare the crap out of you don't do it.

Agreed. I was mentally prepared for a drop, it happened, I'm over it. If you know it will scare the crap out of you don't do it.

Sounds good thank you both. I may be a little late in the game for asking this but where exactly are the free 120 located?

Sounds good thank you both. I may be a little late in the game for asking this but where exactly are the free 120 located?

http://www.usmle.org/practice-materials/ Here yah go, you can click on the downloadable or web based version and do it there. The interface is exactly the same as the real deal, including the tutoral. I skimmed through the tutorial doing the free 120 and was able to skip it during my test.

Be sure to write your answers down on paper as you go, because there is a key at the end and you grade it yourself.

http://www.usmle.org/practice-materials/ Here yah go, you can click on the downloadable or web based version and do it there. The interface is exactly the same as the real deal, including the tutoral. I skimmed through the tutorial doing the free 120 and was able to skip it during my test.

Be sure to write your answers down on paper as you go, because there is a key at the end and you grade it yourself.
Thank you!

In my final days of prep I will be reading first aid and reading pathoma. By the time I get to a few days out I will most likely have done upwards of 8-10k questions, so trying to add another couple of blocks won't make much of a difference.

In my final days of prep I will be reading first aid and reading pathoma. By the time I get to a few days out I will most likely have done upwards of 8-10k questions, so trying to add another couple of blocks won't make much of a difference.

Agreed. However, doing questions keeps me somewhat sane. Anytime I try to relax I feel like I should be doing something. I have to give into my obsessive compulsions until the day before...

Agreed. However, doing questions keeps me somewhat sane. Anytime I try to relax I feel like I should be doing something. I have to give into my obsessive compulsions until the day before...

Glad to know I'm not the only one :p

I've only done a fraction of what you have in questions. I'm just breaking 2k(not including the nbmes) so I guess doing a block or 2 per day till the last day might be beneficial for me.
Same here

I've only done a fraction of what you have in questions. I'm just breaking 2k(not including the nbmes) so I guess doing a block or 2 per day till the last day might be beneficial for me.

Same here

Same here

Well mine is just an estimate but I have done Rx, Uworld, 50% Kaplan, Uworld Sims, Kaplan Sims + NBMEs
...If you havent done many questions I would keep doing more