PLEASE help!!!! Switching Career Paths!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrMable

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How many years of science undergrad will you be doing? The more you do, the more you'll be able to increase your GPA. Also, while American medical schools do look at what you majored it, it doesn't matter, I don't think. I've ever heard that many prefer unique non-science majors!

Hello everyone, I'm going to try to keep this short.

I am from Canada, and I just finished my 2nd year at an Ivy league business school. The first two years have been a bit rough and I finished with a 3.0 GPA. I've also taken science courses as my electives and have a cumulative science gpa in these courses of 4.0/4.0. Throughout high school I've always been interested in science and have done well (95+ in all science courses) but because of personal reasons I didn't go through with it. Just these few months, i've applied to transfer into a science undergrad because my parents thought it was right for me to study something I really enjoy and I was accepted into the other universities. Right now I'm taking my science courses in biology and chemistry and midterm grades are released and I also have a 4.0 in both courses.

I know medical schools often don't look at what you majored in during your undergrad; at least that's what it's like with Canadian medical schools, I was wondering if that was the same with American medical schools?

Also, one of my biggest concerns is my 3.0 GPA in my first two years of BBA. I will be doing another 4-year science undergrad starting this fall, but I know a lot of schools look at your cGPA which means my first 2 years of BBA will also be counted is that correct? I'm really worried how this will affect my chances despite me trying my hardest to pull up my GPA the next few years and scoring highly on my mcat. If someone could give me some insight on this that would be very much appreciated!

Thank you so much in advance!

You will need to maintain high grades throughout the rest of your schooling because a 3.0 GPA is a strong start as is. If you do this, your GPA will continue as an upward trend which is what schools want to see. Through your experiences already in science electives, you should have no problem doing that.

Be sure to have a strong explanation as to why you decided to change to pursue medicine. Probably leave out anything that has to do with parental approval, AdComs are focused on your reasoning and character and don't want to see that you shift with the tides easily in that manner.

Best of luck to your pursuing medicine!

Members don't see this ad :)
How many years of science undergrad will you be doing? The more you do, the more you'll be able to increase your GPA. Also, while American medical schools do look at what you majored it, it doesn't matter, I don't think. I've ever heard that many prefer unique non-science majors!
Hello neuronerd24, thank you for your reply!

Last edited:
Hello emagavin, your reply surely gave me hope, thank you so much.

I was told Canadian students, as international students, have a much lower chance in applying to American medical schools. For example, if the average acceptance GPA for domestic applicants was a 3.6, international applicants would be looking at a 3.9-4.0, which I'm going to be honest; I am not completely confident in achieving just because 4 years is a lot of time for any slips to happen; that being said I will put all the time and dedication needed to pursue but I just want to be realistic as well~ Do you have any idea as to how Canadian students are perceived by American schools?

And thank you so much for your advice regarding my explanation as to why I switched majors, I will be sure to keep that in mind!

Hey no problem at all I'm glad to help! From what I've perceived thus far, it seems the only reason US schools are so uninviting to international students is due to the lack of funding by the student. Perhaps research future loans to US med schools and gain "admission" to that loan and be sure to have proof of statement of that loan when applying through AMCAS or such (not sure what you apply through and an international). Here are some links I found.

-Below was found on a John Hopkins Website regarding a pipeline program to a US DO:

http://com.msu.edu/Admissions/CanadianApplicants.pdf

-Below is an SDN thread about your general concerns:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=108285

-Below is a link to USNews on tips for international students to enter US DO/MD:

http://www.usnews.com/education/blo...ional-students-applying-to-us-medical-schools