1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Please Help!! Take 12 hour a day summer fellowship post M1?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by Saradoc, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Saradoc

Saradoc Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hi, i am finishing up my first year and after getting married/going on a short honeymoon at the beginning of summer i was scheduled to do a 4 week ob-gyn clinical fellowship. I found out today this this will be five days a week from 6am-6pm and is paid next to nothing, which is of course not why im doing it but still a factor. I am interested in ob-gyn and i think we get a letter of evaluation to put in our academic record, but then again this is our last summer everrr and im just not sure i want to be quite so crazy and tired after a whole year of studying. This is through my schools hospital which is most likely not a hospital i would consider for residency either. Any opinions on whether i should turn it down? thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ClockworkDoc

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Maybe I am ignorant, but is OB/GYN really that competitive? As far as an academic letter goes, it would not hold nearly as much weight as your clinical rotations letters. My vote is to skip this experience.

You would be able to get more bang for your buck by doing some related research.

4. kdburton

kdburton Ulnar Deviant
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Its only 4 weeks which leads me to believe that you're going to have at least a month of summer left after you get done with this program? Regardless of whether or not you get some sort of eval from this doctor, if OB/GYN is what you want to go into then this may be a good chance to meet some people in the field. Also if you need the $$ (I know you said it wasn't that much), its probably still a good idea, because chances are that you're not going to find another job for just this summer. Plus you're getting done at 6 every day, so its not like you're whole day is gone. I suggest do it if you're still "on the fence"

5. DrBubbles

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm doing the same thing:

4 weeks, 6am-6pm
    and 2 more weeks, although I'm not sure of those hours

It's our last summer.

I feel like I wish I had a bit more extra time, but I get bored after three weeks off anyway. Additionally, I would be lucky to match at my academic institution, in my home state, in family med, so that does make a difference.

All in all, do what you gotta do. If you want to enjoy your new marriage a bit, or paint your living room, or travel, or sip martinis and read gossip magazines, it's your last shot--go for it! If you want to be productive, and have a small leg up to add to your resume, take the four-week vacation cut.

I do agree it's a tough decision, but the good news is there won't be severely negative repercussions from your decision.

Best of luck!

6. OncoCaP

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Don't do it unless you really want to. It sounds like this isn't something you really want to do. There will be plenty of opportunities to explore ob-gyn down the road and get the recommendations you need.

7. Saradoc

Saradoc Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    thanks for the replies, what other opportunities to explore ob-gyn/get letters of rec will i have? i guess i mean when besides the third year rotation/sub-i? or do you think those are really enough...

8. Saradoc

Saradoc Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    also, how much of an edge does a fellowship like this after first year really give me? i've heard its mostly something to talk about at residency interviews...

9. Monica Lewinsky

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You are going to have a rotation in obgyn during 3rd year. It'd be different if this fellowship was in radonc or plastics.

10. I agree with the above - this rotation doesn't sound particularly invaluable or anything (unless you're getting a strong letter from a well-known attending).

11. Medinsane

Medinsane Music in Asian Form
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'd say skip it and enjoy your summer, especially with your new spouse. You'll have rotations your third year and electives if you're really interested in OBGYN.