please help... texas resident, chances in state? and out? where to apply? hellpp

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asneakyrocker

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok since this entire section of the forum is kind of redundant ill try to cut to the chase....

Undrgrd school: University of Houston
Major: Economics
Minor: Biology

cum GPA: ~3.6
sGPA: ~3.5

MCAT: 32 (fairly balanced scoring in each section)

EC:

-research from May '08 - Dec. '08 in biofunctionalization of semiconductor surfaces for stem cell attachment and differentiation
*received Welch Foundation Undergraduate Research Fellowship but no publication

-Many many volunteer hours with different projects- hwy cleanup, blood drive, helping children with cancer at MD anderson, help and fund raising for refugees that came from over seas, volunteer work and fund raising with a foundation that helps people all around the world during times of crisis ( kashmir during earthquake, Darfur, Somalia, Chechnya, Haiti)

-Shadowing of a Physician since high school (4 yrs) and volunteering with him at free community clinic

-Bone Marrow Donor

-and couple of other things here an there

Ok so what do u think my chances are of getting into a med. school in texas? I am applying to all Texas med. schools.

And what about out of State? Which schools do you think I should apply to out of state?

I would really appreciate if someone could help me out... I am alittle stressed since my GPA is avg. and MCAT isn't amazing either....

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

With an average-ish (for acceptees) cGPA and above average MCAT score, I think your chances look to be pretty good for Texas schools and some OOS places too. You are particularly strong in clinical experience and have a lot of shadowing hours. You have some research and it looks like your nonmedical community service is pretty good too. If you have any leadership or teaching/coaching/TA, be sure to list that too.

I'd go to a Texas school if possible since the in-state tuition is so cheap, but what other areas of the country would you consider relocating to?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies...

And I really don't have any TA experience or coaching, although I tutored for my physics teacher which is why she volunteered to write me a letter of rec. is that worth adding on my resume?

Also I am really willing to go anywhere in the US as long as it is a decent MD school...

Thanks again

I tutored for my physics teacher which is why she volunteered to write me a letter of rec. is that worth adding on my resume?
Tutoring=teaching. Definitely add it.

Consider researching MSU, Virginia Commonwealth, EVMS, Drexel, NYMC, Tulane, UIllinois, Rush, GWU, Temple, Toledo, Buffalo, Loyola, Loma Linda, (below your range)

MCW, UVermont, Jefferson, SUNY Upstate, UCentral Florida, Albany, Creighton, Wayne, Rosalind Franklin, Georgetown. (all matches for your stats)

Last edited:
Thanks Catalystik, you really helped me out...

On a side note... I just saw on the tmdsas website the statistics they posted for people who were extended offers last year and man my scores do not look too promising...

are the schools you listed more around my range of grades and scores?

can you list any other schools with even lower ranges than mine?

Sorry for the trouble but I figure if I apply to enough schools I should get into at least one...

and i dont mind spending any amount of money really applying to a large number of schools as long as I am somewhat competitive...

thanks again..

Last edited:
Thanks Catalystik, you really helped me out...

On a side note... I just saw on the tmdsas website the statistics they posted for people who were extended offers last year and man my scores do not look too promising...

Sorry for the trouble but I figure if I apply to enough schools I should get into at least one...

and i dont mind spending any amount of money really applying to a large number of schools as long as I am somewhat competitive...

thanks again..

What were teh stats?

I just saw on the tmdsas website the statistics they posted for people who were extended offers last year and man my scores do not look too promising...

With a 3.6/32, I think you're in a very good postion to end up with an acceptance in Texas by the end of the entire process.

I specifically chose the schools I listed so that some are below your range (the first half), most are on target (second group), and none a reach. I put them in order of least to more selective.

If you want some slight reaches: UWisconsin, Penn State, Wake, UNCarolina, SUNY Upstate, SLU, UMinnesota, UIowa, UMiami.

Thanks for your help catalystik,

You really cleaned up my list of schools and narrowed things down for me.

For a DO school, TCOM has a pretty high average accepted MCAT (28), so I don't think it skews the numbers. If you think TCOM skews the numbers, you could say that UTSW balances them out.

As long as you have a strong PS, thoughtful secondaries, good LORs, and interview well, you have a great shot at TX schools. My GPA is close to yours and MCAT slightly lower and I did fine. I applied to 7 schools, interviewed at 4 of them, also interviewed at Baylor and both OOS schools I applied to.

Oh, for more specific stats, sometimes you can find avgs on the specific school websites, but not always. They really are all similar to that chart.