Please Help! UNLV vs Rutgers NJMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spstudentdoc

Reaction score
Please help me decide or give me some insight, UNLV is my state school and I would be living with my parents. The Tuition is 40k per year so that would be my only cost. Rutgers is about 70k in just tuition not accounting for living expenses. I want to do a competitive specialty, so is it worth leaving all my family and the cost?

Members don't see this ad.

UNLV did fine w its first match, specialty wise. From either school, you’ll have to finish at the top of your class to stand out and match a competitive specialty. This might be an easier feat at UNLV anyway. I would just make sure there’s research in your areas of interest that easily accessible there.. going to be equally as important as your academic performance

UNLV, especially with how much you would be saving in the long run

Members don't see this ad :)
I would look at the Match lists for both schools. There were more students from Rutgers that matched into very competitive specialties, probably to due to better research opportunities as well compared to UNLV. Rutgers is also in the top 100 best medical schools for research.

I would look at the Match lists for both schools. There were more students from Rutgers that matched into very competitive specialties, probably to due to better research opportunities as well compared to UNLV. Rutgers is also in the top 100 best medical schools for research.
lol top 100 encompasses nearly every ranked MD school. also, be sure to standardize for class size, since Rutgers’ class size is far larger than UNLV’s iirc. rutgers is no doubt the better school, but whether or not that outweighs OP’s pros for UNLV is the question

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
UNLV and it’s not close. Anything competitive will be tough from either school post p/f step 1 so might as well take the savings and run

Reactions: 1 users