Please help! (urgent)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theflute

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, Im new here I have my mcat test in june and I just got started to prepare for it, so I need to nail down pretty much everytihng til may..

so the question is i have EK verbal+math now and i can pick up kaplans "advanced mcat" and " practice test" at the local bookstore
oh and they said "cracking the mcat 2nd edition " by princeton review can be also available but for the other books, i have to specially order them as im out of the states and it wil take 4-5 weeks. I ordered EK verbal a month ago to see what its like and i t did take a month to get here seriously omg

so i think i should study those 2 kaplans and would need more books for mcat , should i order EK books? if i do , should it be the 1001 series or
the explanatory ones? and hows "cracking the mcat" , should i pick it up too?

please any advice would be helpful, and its kinda realy urgent as i need to order them right away..

good luck to you all, and i will wait for ur replies! the sooner the better

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I would avoid the Kaplan books and use the EK lecture books. SN2ed has a list of books that people suggest here so if you do a search I'm sure you'll find it if you want other suggestions.

Biology: 1. EK Bio (for content) + BR Bio (for passages and further topic depth if needed) 2. TPR Hyperlearning, detail oriented 3. Kaplan

Physics
: 1. BR 2. Nova 3. TPR Hyperlearning 4. EK/Kaplan

Verbal: 1. EK Verbal + EK 101 Verbal 2. TPR Hyperlearning 3. BR 4. Kaplan (Avoid if possible)

Organic Chemistry: 1. BR, by far 2. TPR Hyperlearning 3. EK/Kaplan

General Chemistry: 1. BR, by far 2. TPR Hyperlearning 3. EK/Kaplan

Extra Practice Material: 1. TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook + TPR Hyperlearing Science Workbook, good source of practice passages 1. AAMC Official Guide to the MCAT Exam (most representative material available) 2. EK 1001 series, helps nail down basics

NYR56 yea omg thank you for ur reply that was quick. however i already got the kaplan books just then and I will order some EK books anyway .. it will take 4 weeks so i guess i have to master the kaplan books that i have in the mean time, (Im taking the june 17 mcat) , SN2eds threads are incredible omg

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much SN2ed, I searched a bit on this site and your tips are just amazing. I would love to get the BRbooks mentioned here but when I asked the local bookstore they said they cant order them..:( so i should just order EKs.. but If i have only 1 month of time and should choose one from EK and EK1001 , which one should i go for? I have all the old textbooks like organic chems, gen chem, physics and such..from the first year of uni..

Definitely get the EK lecture books over the EK1001. Not only is the content review excellent, they all have passage based questions, which are critical to doing well. Only the EK1001 Bio has passage based questions, while the others are standalone questions. The only other thing you might want to consider is getting the EK Verbal 101, since it has plenty of passages to practice and they are a great representation of the real MCAT. I'm not sure where you are but it might be faster to order these (new or used) off of Ebay or Amazon.

NYP56> oh okey I will order the ek lecture books most def then. I quickly went thru the kaplan book I got ,"mcat advanced" or something and GOD OMG I realised I have so much work to do. That book looked quite intimidating LOL Hope you are doing well and do well on ur mcat too!

Since you're out of the states, the only way you'd be able to get BR books would be through a private seller. Hence, get EK's content review books. Also, make sure you get EK Bio 1001, EK 101 Verbal, FLs, and so on for practice material.

Lastly, ONLY use your textbooks for reference on particular items. Do not use them to review. Heck, you would probably be better served by looking up particular topics online more than opening a textbook.

NYP56> oh okey I will order the ek lecture books most def then. I quickly went thru the kaplan book I got ,"mcat advanced" or something and GOD OMG I realised I have so much work to do. That book looked quite intimidating LOL Hope you are doing well and do well on ur mcat too!

Heh, don't worry, just stay dedicated and stick to a schedule while reviewing. Turn it into a personal challenge to see how good you can really do. Thanks for the kind words, I wish you luck as well. I already took it and did well, which is why I am suggesting EK; I was very happy with their review books.

NYR56 yea omg thank you for ur reply that was quick. however i already got the kaplan books just then and I will order some EK books anyway .. it will take 4 weeks so i guess i have to master the kaplan books that i have in the mean time, (Im taking the june 17 mcat) , SN2eds threads are incredible omg

Why the rush? :confused:You can push it to July. I have friends who are in medical school and most of them took the test in July/August.