Please Help Us Convince Our School to Videotape Lectures :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ashmoney711

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
We realize that this thread has been started before, but we need an up-to-date count of medical schools that videotape their lectures for 1st and 2nd years. If you could please answer the following questions, it would be extremely appreciated : )

1. The Name of Your Medical School please
2. Does your school videotape lectures?
If Yes,
3. Is it a program that synchronizes audio w/ powerpoint (i.e. "Wimba") or just a camera that videotapes the entire lecture including the stage, powerpoints, professor, etc.?

Thanks so much for your help and good luck with classes.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
We realize that this thread has been started before, but we need an up-to-date count of medical schools that videotape their lectures for 1st and 2nd years. If you could please answer the following questions, it would be extremely appreciated : )

If Yes,
3. Is it a program that synchronizes audio w/ powerpoint (i.e. "Wimba") or just a camera that videotapes the entire lecture including the stage, powerpoints, professor, etc.?

private Chicago school
Yes
Synchronizes audio with powerpoint. Videos are available on the web (D2L, it's sort of like Blackboard if you've heard of that); some courses use iTunes U.

State school in Ohio
Yes, we use a program that syncs audio w/ powerpoint. Powerpoints are also provided online for download.

You would do better to list the schools that DO NOT provide electronic transmission of lectures for students. Few schools are not providing this service.

I would say that your best bet is not to try to "convince" your school that they should do or not do something because everyone else does it but point out how this service can improve scholarship (something they should have a vested interest in doing).

I'm guessing no school wants to be the last to institute anything.

And you're all doing a fabulous job of naming your school like the poster asked =)

USUHS (Bethesda, MD) records everything with cameras, providing both streaming and archived video.

My school has powerpoints synched with audio, videotapes of all the lectures, MP3s of all the audio by itself, as well as hard copies of all the lecture notes and/or powerpoint slides.

I go to a DO school -- KCUMB.

If Yes,

1. Washington University in St. Louis
2. Yes, for every class and for all review sessions. Can download and play at 2x.
3. Camera that videotapes the screen/lecturer. Also, .mp3 recording available for every lecture.

1. Western University of Health Sciences, College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific (it's a mouthful)

2. Yes.

3. Apreso is the main program that is currently used. It records the podium computer's screen, so not only is it automatically "syched up" with the powerpoint slides, if the professor uses the cursor to point something out, then we can see that as well. Additionally, there is a camera that records the lecture and is also displayed on Apreso.

For backup, there is an .mp3 recording available as well as an "enhanced audio" recording that is syched up (sometimes poorly) to the power point slides.

OP must be trying to majorly revamp his/her school. Jeez, no recorded videos, no touch screen netter displays in anatomy (wouldn't those get disgusting after the first day dissecting?) What did you use to compare medical schools when you were an applicant?

What school do you go to, OP?

You would do better to list the schools that DO NOT provide electronic transmission of lectures for students. Few schools are not providing this service.

I would say that your best bet is not to try to "convince" your school that they should do or not do something because everyone else does it but point out how this service can improve scholarship (something they should have a vested interest in doing).
Gotta agree with this, although it is amazing how often my own school does not seem to be interested in improving scholarship.

I think the OP may go to my school, as the Student Gov't has been fighting tooth and nail to keep recorded lectures available. Some classes don't have them, dropped them, or threatened to drop them. I believe it has to do with class attendance, but I think it's silly not to offer all resources that can help students learn.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. A&M med school
2. yes, we record videos (Mediamatrix, although they messed up twice this week, grrrrr)
3. we get audio synchonized with the slides and plain audio

School didn't videotape lectures...not a big deal.
School started audio taping lectures 2nd year...again, not a big deal.
School gave out note packs for all classes (maybe giving school away). Awesome.
School's class did pretty darn well on Step 1. (Confounders could exist)

Basically, is it that important to get info from a lecture at a different time or would one plan to 'watch' a lecture more than once?

If the former, just suck it up and go to the lecture. If the latter, one is probably not learning and studying optimally.

Basically, is it that important to get info from a lecture at a different time or would one plan to 'watch' a lecture more than once?

If the former, just suck it up and go to the lecture. If the latter, one is probably not learning and studying optimally.

It's neither. Lecture recordings have 3 advantages for me

1) I can play them at 2x speed. I can't stand how long it takes some lecturers to get to the point in real time.

2) I can stop and go back if I miss something, or pause if I want to write something important down.

3) Besides 1/2 the lecture time, it also saves me from 1.5 hours of commuting each day.

4) I get to sleep as long as I need, and enjoy a leisurely coffee and breakfast. That certainly won't last, and I plan on enjoying it while I can.

I really see no benefit to "sucking it up," academically or otherwise.

It's neither. Lecture recordings have 3 advantages for me

1) I can play them at 2x speed. I can't stand how long it takes some lecturers to get to the point in real time.

2) I can stop and go back if I miss something, or pause if I want to write something important down.

3) Besides 1/2 the lecture time, it also saves me from 1.5 hours of commuting each day.

4) I get to sleep as long as I need, and enjoy a leisurely coffee and breakfast. That certainly won't last, and I plan on enjoying it while I can.

I really see no benefit to "sucking it up," academically or otherwise.

That's the biggest reason for me. My mind isn't engaged in real time, so I find my self on facebook or here when I should be paying attention in class.

I also win back 3+ hours of my life every day. No commute, no coming home after lecture and feeling tired from sitting there for 4 hours without really learning anything.

VCU does the audio/ppt sync, mp3, and makes ppts available online for students in addition to the printed syllabus and online forum discussion for each course. We have video for anatomy as a sort of pre-lab.

I'd like to point out that our class attendance is NOT significantly different for recorded vs non-recorded sessions (instructors may choose to opt-out of recording). That's usually the faculty prob. w/ recording -they think no one will come to class, and that has not been true for our school. In fact, the technology has probably made life easier for faculty, because instead of 50 of us emailing or visiting to say, "so, I didn't quite catch what you said about x", we can just pull the audio, click on the slide when he/she mentioned x, and listen to it again. You can also pay attention better during lecture if you aren't worried about jotting down every last detail.

My favorite part isn't the recordings, it's the ppts in ppt format (not pdf) because I can make a set of review slides by pulling the most HY slides from each lecture, and it's all on my screen, so I'm not printing a bazillion slides.

Don't forget to mention that having recorded lectures would make it easier for them to comply w/ H1N1 policies, because students would be more able to keep up at home while quarantined.

Also, some faculty use the recordings to listen to each other; it helps them to know what we've already learned in lectures that may overlap w/theirs, and therefore they can speed through some of that material to devote more time to the less familiar stuff. Not everyone does that, but it's been particularly useful for new faculty.

My school podcasts all the lectures, but there's no video. That would be really nice to have.

I always go to class myself, but there are some lecturers who move so fast and pack in so much information that I have to listen to the recordings afterwards, just to take in everything they said.

Penn State uses a program called "MediaSite"
We get a audio+video recording of the lecture along with the powerpoint used for it. We can also speed up the rate of the playback (on Windows computers, not Macs). We have notes and powerpoints and other miscellaneous documents available for download from the lecturers. AND we have podcasts of all our lectures. I'm quite happy. :)

Watching at higher speed and going back for clarification are valid points. I stand corrected. Could always ask for clarification in class and tell the instructor to talk faster and end sooner. :p

If Yes,

1. UCSD...ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh yeah...surf's up dudes!
2. Nope...yep THAT's FREAKIN LAME!...The profs in one of our current courses will not even allow podcasting...FAIL squared!

UCSD needs to get with the times! They are just now modifying their curriculum, which should be pretty sweet for the first year students next year. Oh and we are building a new Med Education/Telemedicine building.......I am really excited about that!

Goal: Top 10...eventually...maybe?

That's the biggest reason for me. My mind isn't engaged in real time, so I find my self on facebook or here when I should be paying attention in class.

I also win back 3+ hours of my life every day. No commute, no coming home after lecture and feeling tired from sitting there for 4 hours without really learning anything.

4 hrs is nothing...try 8 :eek: at least one day a week...

how's everything going! I'm gonna be down in your neck of the woods right after Christmas! You gonna be down in the armpit of the country or are you heading back up to the city of big hair, ranches,and big spenders for the holidays?

Watching at higher speed and going back for clarification are valid points. I stand corrected. Could always ask for clarification in class and tell the instructor to talk faster and end sooner. :p

We also have a highly used message board system that the professors monitor and answer questions on. The message boards are also how we submit test challenges (max 3 posts per question, 1 post per person per question in order to keep the number of posts down for challenges). In both cases, all of the students taking the course can see what's been asked and answered so that the professors don't get asked the same questions over and over again.

1. Southern Illinois University School of Medicine
2. Lectures are not recorded by the school. Students are not allowed to record video or audio during lectures (some do it anyway)

It is a very anti-student policy

Penn State uses a program called "MediaSite"
We get a audio+video recording of the lecture along with the powerpoint used for it. We can also speed up the rate of the playback (on Windows computers, not Macs). We have notes and powerpoints and other miscellaneous documents available for download from the lecturers. AND we have podcasts of all our lectures. I'm quite happy. :)

Ditto for Vanderbilt. Mediasite, speeding up, everything is synced with the slides, slides are available for download, we have podcasts.
Incidentally, the videos are transmitted live so if you want to watch the video in real time you can do that. Or, you can watch it later.
The former has really helped me during review sessions. Going to school means waking up an hour early so I can get my butt over there in time, make a lunch to bring over (or spend money at the cafeteria) and then get all stressed watching other people study. This way, I can stay home before exams, study on my own, and watch the review session at the same time as everyone else. Not a bad way to go.

4 hrs is nothing...try 8 :eek: at least one day a week...

how's everything going! I'm gonna be down in your neck of the woods right after Christmas! You gonna be down in the armpit of the country or are you heading back up to the city of big hair, ranches,and big spenders for the holidays?

Thank God my parents are moving away from that area, so I'll never have to go there again.

In any case, I'll be in neither. My parents are moving to Florida, so I'm going to be with them when they close on their new house. Not sure how long the Florida trip will last, but the remainder will be in the armpit.

Bringing the Caribbean here, so I don't know how much gravity my input would have if you are compiling a list of schools to present to your administration:

1. St. George's University, Grenada.

2. Yes, to varying degrees. We used to be able to download but since the latest upgrade we can't (or haven't yet figured out how to).

3. All courses have at least audio (in three semesters, only two courses so far have done JUST audio). The next tier up is synchronized powerpoint, and then the third is video, audio, and powerpoint (most courses). Personally, watching the lecturer stand at the podium doesn't do much for me, so I like the powerpoint + audio format.

Our program is Mediasite, which is apparently "Award-winning." It's not bad though. You can adjust the speed in 0.2x increments from 0.2x to 2x. There's also a handy "skip three seconds back" - it's great for skipping back a few seconds in case there was a detail you missed without having to move the slider and overshoot.

As others have said, double-speed rocks, for a number of reasons - prevents your mind from wandering, able to rewind and fast-forward, and the savings in time, either from speed-listening to a lecture where the lecturer mainly just reads off his/her slides or in commuting. As another alluded to, by studying at home you prevent yourself from spending money, since you have to go out to do it (I once didn't leave my apartment for a week and a half because I just had lectures and no labs. The furthest I got was my veranda at about 3/4 AM).

Unfortunately, listening to lectures on normal speed now is like thinking while submerged in molasses.

University at Buffalo videotapes most lectures and they are synchronized with PowerPoint.

Pittsburgh also videotapes and synchronizes.

University of Arizona - Phoenix

Does not record video, only audio podcasts. We also don't record the video of the actual presentation on the computer either, like others have mentioned their schools do.