Please Help!! (Verbal Reasoning)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

junjunkk33

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have been doing verbal passages (2 or 3) almost daily since January and while I've definitely seen improvements.. I can't seem to get past a 9/10 in this section. I've worked through a ton of TPR passages and after some analysis, I noticed that 85%.. yes 85% of the questions I get wrong are what TPR calls Specific Inference questions. I've read both the TPR and EK strategy on VR and tried a bunch of different strategies of my own but I still can't seem to get these darned Specific Inference questions right. Is there anybody who can give me some advice on how to tackle these particular types of questions? I would really appreciate that as my MCAT date is coming up in roughly 2 months. :)

P.s. I am brand new to SDN so I apologize if there's already been a similar question posted. There are so many threads I can't navigate through them all to verify.

Members don't see this ad.

I scored a 10 and 11 on the actual thing and studied in a similar manner. I would suggest trying verbal passages from other sources (although the TPR verbal workbook is awesome) consider mixing in some EK, TBR, AAMC.

Can you elaborate a bit more on the "specific inference" questions?

I hate to say it but I think luck does play a big part on test day. I was fortunate enough to have some passages that were actually interesting to me and I enjoyed reading. This really helped me focus and have deep understanding before heading to the questions.

With all that said, scoring consistent 10's is very good.

I agree with Waggles. I'm actually in your position - minus the daily passages - and I think that variation in study approach will get you - and me - above the 9/10 mark. Good luck on test day.