PLEASE HELP:Voided my april mcat, when should I retake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

25maya

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I just took my mcat on April 17th, and I ran out of time on the sections, and felt really bad about the test so I voided it. I had taken the MCAT last JUly as well, and got a really bad score, a 24 after alot of studying. So this year, I focused more on practice tests, took all the AAMC tests, averaged between a 30 and 32. Used EKs books, 1001 VR EK, and the Gold Standard Silver Bullet book. I felt really confident about taking the test this time, but I just felt horrible after the real mcat. I knew how to do most of the problems, it's just I always run out of time, and end up guessing on so many or them. I would greatly appreciate any advice. I have studied so much for this test but can't seem to do well. My biggest weakness was time on the test. I run out of time alot!!! Are there any tips to get quicker at doing the problems? Any books I should get? And what date should I sign up for , (I want to apply this summer)? How much time would I need to improve? I feel like I have put so much time into studying, but my method or my strategies are not working at all. PLEASE help me, as I need to sign up for a test ASAP! Thank you all for any advice :).

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately, I don't think anyone can tell you when you should take the test as only you know when you are ready. However, I think planning out to give yourself 2-3 months for review is good (shorter and you might feel rushed, longer and you'll start to forget things). If time is your problem, I think doing a ton of practice problems help. Try to see if you can get your hands on Princeton Review's science workbook. Time yourself when you're doing passages too. After enough practice, you'll remember how to solve certain types of problems fastest for you. Also, did you have a firm understanding of all the concepts before starting practice tests?

On the real test, do all of the discrete questions first. That way you have a lot of time for the passages, and they help to build your confidence.

Hi,
I just took my mcat on April 17th, and I ran out of time on the sections, and felt really bad about the test so I voided it. I had taken the MCAT last JUly as well, and got a really bad score, a 24 after alot of studying. So this year, I focused more on practice tests, took all the AAMC tests, averaged between a 30 and 32. Used EKs books, 1001 VR EK, and the Gold Standard Silver Bullet book. I felt really confident about taking the test this time, but I just felt horrible after the real mcat. I knew how to do most of the problems, it's just I always run out of time, and end up guessing on so many or them. I would greatly appreciate any advice. I have studied so much for this test but can't seem to do well. My biggest weakness was time on the test. I run out of time alot!!! Are there any tips to get quicker at doing the problems? Any books I should get? And what date should I sign up for , (I want to apply this summer)? How much time would I need to improve? I feel like I have put so much time into studying, but my method or my strategies are not working at all. PLEASE help me, as I need to sign up for a test ASAP! Thank you all for any advice :).

The first time you took the exam, did you run out of time because of taking too much time reading the passages? Was it because of taking too much time solving problems? I remember the first practice test I took I got a 24, this was due to me not being prepared for the MCAT timing. I just skimped through all of the passages instead of reading them so I could solve the problems(AKA: I freaked out). Then I realized that I made several mistakes other than timing. The biggest was not using a MCAT prep book. There is a 30+ MCAT post here that will give more info. Moral of the story...use all resources ( BUY ALL AAMC PRACTICE EXAMS, GET A GOOD MCAT REVIEW AND STRATEGY BOOK, AND PRACTICE UNDER TIMED CONDITIONS). I took heed and wound up scoring ~36's on the rest of my AAMC exams. If you are studying hard then there must be a tiny error in your study plan that's propagating itself into your overall performance. This is all the advice I can give. I'm sure you'll get more feedback soon. :thumbup:

Have you tried time restrictions more severe than the actual MCAT timing heard it works for some people

Do you continually go back to the passages several times when you are doing questions?