Please help with a list of schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chad5871

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I don't really know if this belongs here or elsewhere, but I need help picking a list of schools (and I guess a general reaction to my profile). It's basically copied directly from my MDApps profile.

22 year-old white male
Virginia citizen (in-state eligible)
Undergraduate Institution: VCU
MCAT Score: VR 10, PS 9, BS 12, R = 31R
BCPM GPA: 3.80
Overall GPA: 3.86

Extra-Curriculars:
●Non-medical mission trips
●Music volunteer at church
●Professional training and experience in singing, acting, piano, and dance
●Sunday school volunteer
●Children's musical co-director
●Worked at a grocery store for 2+ years in a leadership position where I won several awards
●Dean's list for 7 out of 8 semesters
●Dean's scholarship recipient for 4 years
●Volunteer Medical Clinic Assistant at Free Clinic
●Shadowed a pediatrician (15 hours)
●Graduate research assistant in a basic science lab
●Mentored incoming freshman students
●Honors College Member
●Active member of the Pre-Med Society
●Forensic Science Club officer
●Nursing home volunteer
●Preceptored upper-level Biology class for 1 semester
●Unit Secretary in Emergency Room
●Lab & Research Assistant in a Clinical Research Group

I'm looking for schools near in the mid-Atlantic and upper-Atlantic region (basically north of Richmond, VA and west of Chicago, IL) and I prefer schools in an urban or suburban environment. I also prefer curriculum that is organ-based and has some PBL, but these are not necessarily deal-breakers for me. I would like to apply to about 20 schools.

Here are the schools I am applying to for sure:
-VCU
-UVA
-WVU
-University of Maryland
-University of Pennsylvania
-University of Pittsburgh
-NYU
-Mt. Sinai
-NYMC

These are the other schools I am considering (of which I can only choose about 10):
-Albany Medical College
-Albert Einstein of Yeshiva University
-Columbia University
-Cornell University
-Drexel University
-Georgetown University
-Indiana University
-Jefferson Medical College
-Loyola University Chicago
-Medical College of Wisconsin
-Northwestern University
-Ohio State University
-Rosalind Franklin University
-SUNY Buffalo
-SUNY Downstate
-SUNY Stony Brook
-SUNY Upstate
-Tufts University
-University of Illinois
-University of Kentucky
-University of Michigan
-University of Rochester
-University of Toledo
-University of Vermont
-Vanderbilt University

Although I'm in-state for EVMS I do not really like the school and I can't stand Norfolk - so I decided not to apply there. Perhaps it's a bad move, but that's the way it goes. George Washington is also traditionally fond of VCU undergrads but I was relatively unimpressed with their facilities and I don't like that the 3rd and 4th year are done at separate hospitals.

Any thoughts on these schools? What about others that I didn't list that you think I might have a good shot at or be a good fit for?

Members don't see this ad.

For a regular Joe Schmo applicant, your MCAT scores would probably be too low for Penn through Sinai on your list. However, your success as an entertainer/musician can make a big difference, as it gives you an edge that many (if not most) other strong applicants lack.

You're a lock at VCU and have an excellent shot at UVa (though, sometimes, state schools place less weight on EC success than private schools).

Apply to less Public schools and more Private schools. I'd keep 8 of the 9 for sure schools except Maryland.

For the schools you're considering, again focus on the private ones: AMC, Einstein, Columbia, Cornell, Drexel, G-town, Jefferson, Loyola, MCW, NU, RFUMS and Tufts.

That gives a total of 20. The likelihood of you getting into at least one of the following is extremely high: VCU, UVa, AMC, Drexel, Jefferson, Loyola, MCW, RFUMS and Tufts.

On top of that, I wouldn't be surprised if you got into at least one of the other schools as well.

Good luck!

Thanks so much for the response and advice. I hope it's okay that I'm trying not to focus TOO much on the performing arts side of things in my PS. I will probably talk about it during secondaries and interviews but I didn't want it to take away from the whole "why I want to go to medical school" topic.

I'll definitely consider your suggestions as I make my final considerations. Thank you so much!

Any advice from other members?

Members don't see this ad :)
And I forgot to say, the reason I really want to apply to Maryland is that I simply love that school. It has pretty much everything I'm looking for (except that it's not too open to OOS applicants). I think I'm still going to apply even though I don't stand much of a chance because I just really like the school. :D

For a regular Joe Schmo applicant, your MCAT scores would probably be too low for Penn through Sinai on your list. However, your success as an entertainer/musician can make a big difference, as it gives you an edge that many (if not most) other strong applicants lack.

You're a lock at VCU and have an excellent shot at UVa (though, sometimes, state schools place less weight on EC success than private schools).

Apply to less Public schools and more Private schools. I'd keep 8 of the 9 for sure schools except Maryland.

For the schools you're considering, again focus on the private ones: AMC, Einstein, Columbia, Cornell, Drexel, G-town, Jefferson, Loyola, MCW, NU, RFUMS and Tufts.

That gives a total of 20. The likelihood of you getting into at least one of the following is extremely high: VCU, UVa, AMC, Drexel, Jefferson, Loyola, MCW, RFUMS and Tufts.

On top of that, I wouldn't be surprised if you got into at least one of the other schools as well.

Good luck!

Just wanted to list an update - I applied to Maryland because it is one of my dream schools, and although it was an incredibly long shot being out-of-state, I was invited for an interview today!

The lesson here is to a ALWAYS apply to your dream schools. You never know what could happen!