mtmunie

John 14:6
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2005
Status
Ok, so here's my situation. I'm a junior Biochem major and I'm going to take a year off before going into med school. Which means that I'll be taking the April 2006 MCAT. Problem is, I hate Orgo and I really don't know how to study for it. I made a B+ in the class(my only B+ in a chem class), but now I really don't know where to start studying. Should I just buy a huge Kaplan review book and go from there, or what? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks

medicomel

Purveyor of short posts.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2004
a stone's throw away from reality
www.google.com
Status
Attending Physician
mtmunie said:
Ok, so here's my situation. I'm a junior Biochem major and I'm going to take a year off before going into med school. Which means that I'll be taking the April 2006 MCAT. Problem is, I hate Orgo and I really don't know how to study for it. I made a B+ in the class(my only B+ in a chem class), but now I really don't know where to start studying. Should I just buy a huge Kaplan review book and go from there, or what? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks
I would buy a kaplan review book and go over the orgo from there. they only cover the salient points, so you won't get bogged down with unnecessarily re-learning reagents and mechanisms.

it's not that hard; after taking organic, i thought the kaplan review notes were easy as hell.

cfdavid

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I found EK to be good for Orgo. But, I also have used Kaplan Online Science Review (I think you can just buy the Orgo part though). The Kaplan Online stuff was good, and it really helped.

It's been 10 years since Orgo for me, so I really needed to start from the fundementals. I feel relatively comfortable with it now.

Good luck.

tigress

queen of the jungle
10+ Year Member
Nov 29, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I had a really bad orgo teacher, so even though I did well in the class, I didn't actually learn anything. I was terrified about doing MCAT orgo. But when you look at the review books, you can see that the MCAT is on a much more superficial level than the actual class. You definitely don't need to know as many reactions or mechanisms (it couldn't hurt, but not necessary). Actually, from the practice tests I took, I think a lot of MCAT orgo is really 1st semester stuff, with a few 2nd semester reactions thrown in. You'll be fine, don't worry! Good luck

TwoLegacies

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2004
San Diego
Status
i absolutely agree with the above posters. orgo is not as big a problem for me as gen chem was... i was quite terrified to get to the acid/base titration and buffers section of the kaplan review notes. but when i got there, it was sooo much easier than i remember (took the classes ~4 years ago). so i imagine this would translate for the other science subjects.

you will be fine! i personally like the kaplan notes a LOT and wish i had them when i was actually taking the class, because they spell out the basic concepts that all the more complicated concepts are founded upon. good luck!

OP
mtmunie

mtmunie

John 14:6
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2005
Status
Thanks so much, guys. That really helped.