Please help with school list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cptnemo56

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks for viewing this post, I really appreciate any advice.

Reapplicant
ORM
State of residence: KY, not much love for KY students out of state as far as I can tell

cGPA: 3.41
sGPA:3.31
Upward trend, 4.0 last year in upper-level science courses

MCAT: 510 (128/127/126/129), considering retake July 7th (didn't take a lot of the pre-reqs before, think I could do better now - is it worth a retake?)

Shadowing: 160 hours between general surgery, internal medicine, neurology, cardiology, emergency medicine, orthopedic surgery

Research: about 5000 hours over 2 years between cancer research, and currently designing an early diagnostic test for kidney disease - will publish eventually, after patent verified. Paid for both experiences

Non-clinical volunteering: ~75 hours early education tutor, ~ 60 hours food pantry
Clinical volunteering: ~150 hours ER volunteer

Eagle Scout (I know, mostly before high school - but you can be in scouts until age 21 and I continued camping trips, teaching merit badges to younger scouts, and volunteer work)

I'm trying to cast a wide net for MD programs as my GPA is pretty low. As such my school list is basically every school where I fall above 10%ile of GPA for out of state students. Please help me narrow it down or add to it any schools which might consider me. I'm going to apply to DO schools as well, but not as informed on that yet - so any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks all

• Carle Illinois College of Medicine
  • Nova Southeastern University Dr. Kiran C. Patel College of Allopathic Medicine
  • Albany Medical College
  • Wake Forest
  • Tulane
  • Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine
  • Rosalind Franklin
  • East Virginia Medical School
  • Dartmouth
  • Emory
  • Rutgers
  • Cooper Medical School of Rowan University
  • University of Nevada Las Vegas
  • Rush
  • Geroge Washington University
  • Uniformed Services University
  • University of Illinois
  • University of Kentucky
  • University of Louisville
  • SUNY Downstate
  • Loyola
  • University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine
  • University of Arizona
  • Univerity of New Mexico
  • Toledo
  • Central Michigan Univerisity
  • Tufts
  • University of Vermont
  • Florida International University
  • Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine
  • Univerisity of Missouri-Kansas City
  • Wayne State
  • University of Connecticut
  • Western Michigan - Stryker
  • Wright State
  • Quinnipiac
  • Marshall
  • Virginia Tech
  • Cal Northstate

Members don't see this ad.

Here is a more realistic list.

U Toledo
Miami
Tufts
George Washington
Georgetown
SLU
Albany
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
MCW
VCU
EVMS
Wayne State
Wake Forest
Netter
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Oakland-B
Seton Hall
Nova MD
U WV
Your state schools
Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Here is a more realistic list.

U Toledo
Miami
Tufts
George Washington
Georgetown
SLU
Albany
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
MCW
VCU
EVMS
Wayne State
Wake Forest
Netter
Jefferson
Temple
Drexel
Creighton
Tulane
Loyola
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Oakland-B
Seton Hall
Nova MD
U WV
Your state schools
Any DO program. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide.

Thank you for the input, I appreciate it. Do you have any advice on applying to DO schools? I don't have any real experience with a DO physician and from what I understand many schools like a LoR from one and a clear reason to go to osteopathic medicine. I don't want to insult a school by making them feel like a "fallback" or that they're an afterthought, which is absolutely not the case

With your GPA you should also apply to at least 6 DO schools. Include MU-COM, UP-KYCOM and WVSOM.
Thank you for the suggestions, I'll add those as well. Do you know of any others I should include? From what I can tell there is no MASR-like tool for DO schools so it is hard to determine which to apply to.

Thank you for the input, I appreciate it. Do you have any advice on applying to DO schools? I don't have any real experience with a DO physician and from what I understand many schools like a LoR from one and a clear reason to go to osteopathic medicine. I don't want to insult a school by making them feel like a "fallback" or that they're an afterthought, which is absolutely not the case
Find a DO to shadow.
Not having a DO letter won't hurt, but having one will help.

Thank you for the suggestions, I'll add those as well. Do you know of any others I should include? From what I can tell there is no MASR-like tool for DO schools so it is hard to determine which to apply to.
You could add LECOM (all schools) and VCOM (all schools).