PLEASE help with school selection

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

newdude

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay I did not get response from my earlier post so I will change my post.

So, I have 3.63/30P (10P, 9V, 11B), from what is probably considered bad/low-tier undergrad.
decent EC's (nothing exceptional)/ 2 summer programs
probably decent LOR's.

I was wondering with my numbers which of these schools should I take off, they are too many (close to 40). Also, the ones with question mark are the ones where I don’t think I have a chance (so I need your advice). I would be considered out-of-state applicant to all of them. if there are any schools i should add, let me know.

GW
Georgetown
Emory
U. Chicago
Loyola
Ross Franklin
Rush
Iowa
Tulane
Boston
Tufts
Michigan
MSU
Minnesota
St. Louis
Creighton
?New Jersey
?RWJohnson
Albany
Einstein
?Mount Sinai
NYMC
NYU
Rochester
Wake
Case
?Cincinati
?Ohio
Drexel
Jefferson
PSU
Pitt
?Temple
Meharry
?Vermont
EVMS
VCU/MCV
MCW

Members don't see this ad.

Do you own an MSAR? If not, buy one, read it, and then make your own choices. This is too personal to ask us to do it for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, arbitrarily cutting down people's lists is fun. I'm trying to think of places that have strict MCAT cut-offs (or annoying secondaries), but this cut is mostly just based on my own personal preferences/impressions.

GW
Georgetown
Loyola
Ross Franklin
Boston
MSU
St. Louis
Albany
NYMC
NYU
?Cincinnati
Drexel
Jefferson
Meharry
?Vermont
VCU/MCV
MCW

MoosePilot said:
Do you own an MSAR? If not, buy one, read it, and then make your own choices. This is too personal to ask us to do it for you.

Someone was selling a new MSAR for real cheap on EBAY. I think there was a thread on here about it. If I can find it, I'll post it here.

okay so i checked the new MSAR:2005-2006, and was able to cut 10 schools.
since i live in tx, the total list is close to 40, which seems alot $$ with secondary, cause most of these schools will send everyone one.
so if anyone can cut them more from them personal experiences, it would help.

loma linda
GW
Georgetown
emory
u. chicago
loyola
ross franklin
tulane
boston
tufts
michigan
st. louis
creighton
albany
einstein
mt. sinai
nymc
nyu
rochester
wake
case
drexel
jefferson
psu
pitt
temple
meharry
vermont
evms
vcu/mcv
mcw

i'm considering adding dartmouth, oregon, vanderbilt, miami, howard, uconn, but i think these would be a long shot b/c of i would be out of state.

so if anyone can help cut them from the list based on my chances on getting interview b/c i'm OOS, it would help. thanks

MadameLULU said:
If you're a TX resident, why aren't you applying to any TX schools?

These are in addition to TX.
So any thoughts.

and u chicago :thumbdown: they werent very nice

MadameLULU said:
Remove Loma Linda, Harvard, Michigan
what % of students from evms and vcu are OOS?

oh harvard was a mistake, i removed it from post.

i thought umich and loma linda had about 50/50.
I don't know the percent form evms/vcu, but it was probably 40.

u. chicago has decent number.
thanks for input.

I just wanna get into a school, so i wanna know which gives me best chance.

newdude said:
okay so i checked the new MSAR:2005-2006, and was able to cut 10 schools.
since i live in tx, the total list is close to 40, which seems alot $$ with secondary, cause most of these schools will send everyone one.
so if anyone can cut them more from them personal experiences, it would help.

loma linda
GW
Georgetown
emory
u. chicago
loyola
ross franklin
tulane
boston
tufts
michigan
st. louis
creighton
albany
einstein
mt. sinai
nymc
nyu
rochester
wake
case
drexel
jefferson
psu
pitt
temple
meharry
vermont
evms
vcu/mcv
mcw

i'm considering adding dartmouth, oregon, vanderbilt, miami, howard, uconn, but i think these would be a long shot b/c of i would be out of state.

so if anyone can help cut them from the list based on my chances on getting interview b/c i'm OOS, it would help. thanks

Go to the AAMC website to see how many out of state matriculants there are to some of the schools. A few of the schools you listed RARELY take out of state applicants. The ones that I caught from your post were: vermont, miami, and uconn. Ditch there three, they are a waste of money for someone from Texas.

i filled out the med schools on amcas and it was $1060 :eek:

$1060 :eek: :mad:

I mean i knew it was gonna be alot but to see it, it seems crazy, so can anyone care to try to cut this sucker.

so here it goes one more time:
GW
georgetown
iowa
ross franklin
chicago-pritker
loyola
tulane
BU
Tufts
St. louis
wake
creighton
albany
einestein
mt. sinai
nymc
nyu
rochester
SUNY-upstate
case
cinci
drexel
jefferson
psu
pitt
temple
evms
vcu
mcw
vermont

man to see the thing on bottom say $1060 was crazy.
thanks for the cuts.

Why so many new york schools? Cut out albany, SUNY etc.

Personally I'd say be very careful of applying to out of state public schools...most have state preference making it more difficult and really quite a waste of money and time for you.

I'm pretty sure the VA schools (except for UVA) don't accept out of state...Hmm, maybe I'm thinking about NC, though I might be confused. Either way, from what I've heard, you are a really strong candidate to get into one of the TX schools. If you don't want to spend so much money, I would consider cutting your list of out of state schools down to like 10-15.

sadly this is my second time applying, i for some reason didn't get into TX school first time, so i wanna minimize that.

also, i used this AAMC website, which tells us the schools and their percentage for accepting OOS students.

http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/2004/2004school-2.htm

this schools had above 30% OOS acceptence rate and had my kind of mcat/gpa, so i picked em.

thanks for input