Please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunflower79

Plays well with knives
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I recently graduated from undergraduate college, and while I was in college my grades were ok - I made a fair number of As but also flaked on some other classes - basically I wasn't dedicated about school and I wasn't sure about what I wanted to do. (GPA around 3.3)

Medicine has been in my mind but now I know it's really what I want to do. I know I need to take some post-bacc classes, but given that, do I still have a shot at med school? Dare I aspire to attend a CA school? (I am a CA resident) I am feeling pretty demoralized about my academic record hindering me like a ball-and-chain. :(

Is it true, then, that post-bacc GPAs are calculated separately from your undergrad? If so, how much weight is given to the post-bacc as opposed to the undergrad one?

I know there are people who have flunked out of classes like o-chem and still get into top schools (though I'm sure those ppl aren't the majority) -- so does that mean I have some hope?

Thanks for the advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by kareniw:
•Is it true, then, that post-bacc GPAs are calculated separately from your undergrad? If so, how much weight is given to the post-bacc as opposed to the undergrad one?•

I'm surely not the expert on this one, but I think I remember seeing, probably on AMCAS but maybe on one of my secondaries, that you have to have a certain number of semester hours in post-bacc for them to consider it as a separate GPA. I believe the number was 12, which would equate to 3-4 classes.

And to field your question about how that GPA is weighted, I think it depends on how many classes you take, where you took them, and how long it took you to get through. They will certainly weight it heavily if you take the entire pre-med science requirement within 2-3 years as opposed to just taking a few classes sporadically to boost the GPA.

I hope others can be of more help. Best of luck to you!

If you have time to do some searching, you'll find that others are in similar situations. Imtiaz comes to mind, if I remember correctly.

There's a 'raising GPA' thread running right now in another forum, maybe the "everyone" forum? It'll be easy to find.

I think many, many students have been in a position in which they needed to raise their GPA's to have a decent shot at entrance, I think many have taken the time to do just that--raise their GPA's. If you do that and you show the adcomms what has changed about you that makes you ready and able, you will have a chance. They do understand that people 'evolve' over the years, and they like to see a positive trend and NO EXCUSES.

Good luck,
--kris

Members don't see this ad :)
hi kareniw,
i don't think a 3.3 gpa is all that terrible if you work you application and get a good mcat score. people have gotten in with way worse gpas. don't set your heart on stanford or anything (that doesn't mean you can't apply), but study hard for you mcats, get some clinical/research experience if you don't already have some, work on your personal statement, and apply to a wide variety of schools. I dont know if post-bacc classes are necessary or will really help all that much

Hey Kareniw,
Sure you have a chance to get into CA schools. I did, and I was in a pretty similar situation. Never loose hope! Post-bacc gpa is weighed more heavily than your undergrad GPA and also admission committees like to see improvement over the years. Also, some schools like somewhat non-traditional applicants. You might wanna check out one-year Master's programs. I know Georgetown and Boston have excellent programs; there're others. I think that would give a great boost to your application. Or on the other hand you can take separate classes. I'm sure you'll succeed!
Goodluck to you.