Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Please help!!

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by Optimistic, Nov 5, 2001.

1. Optimistic

Optimistic Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I know this is such a silly question to ask on this forum but I think no body else can answer it better than you guys. since you all have gone through this. I dont know how to answer the question in my personel statment about why I want to go to osteopathy school. Very honestly , only reason I want to go is because I like their philosophy of treating patient. But I know that is not good enough. Besides that I dont have too much room to write big stories. so what should I do?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Dr JPH

Dr JPH Membership Revoked
    Removed 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Your reasoning is fine. In fact, it is probably what they want to hear.

Maybe say WHY you like their philosophy. Any specific example or event in your life? Any experience with dealing with patients that helped you develop this belief?

Expand on what you said and you will be fine.

Good luck!

4. Felice J. Esposito

Felice J. Esposito Junior Member

I suggest that you read Gevitz's book entitled "The D.O.'s". If will both inform you and inspire material for an essay.

5. Optimistic

Optimistic Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks guys!

6. Yosh

Yosh Livin' in the WINDY CITY
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I am a 1st year now...and after applying two years in a row....the one piece of advice during interviews...

BE HONEST...

They can read people...they do this every year...instead of trying to tell them what you think they want to hear...tell them what you really believe..

They read your essay and liked what you had to say....so be that person..don't try and BS them....

If you like the idea of the patient, hands-on contact..say that...just read up on osteopathy...make sure you know what it is about...and tell them what you feel.

Once you make it to the interview process....they are clearly interested in you...let yourself shine...and you will do just fine...

Best of luck...I gotta get back to Gross Anatomy.....Ughhh...

7. I think everyone has some good input.
    Do yourself a favor and read
    "Empathy and the Practice of Medicine" Spiro et al or my favorite
    "The lost Art of Healing" by Bernard Lown.

While I like "The DO" the other 2 really give you a flavor of what holistic means
    both written by MD's! The most important thing you can do as a physician MD/DO is understand what your patient feels and by doing this you'll know better how to help them. And then again don't forget the somatic-visceral and visceral-viceral inputs that can cause your patients distress can be adjusted by a simple counterstrain, soft tissue, or muscle energy osteopathic manipulative treatments (you'll learn all of this your first year).

Good luck
    :) Diane