PLEASE Help

Discussion in 'General International Discussion' started by Kannan, Sep 9, 2001.

1. Kannan

Kannan Junior Member

Hi!
    Could anybody PLEASE help an international student (Indian) on how to apply for pre med in the US
    The whole process is extremely confusing and I am close to tears
    I can't even decide which 10 colleges i have to apply to.
    Please help.

Thanks

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. vietcongs

vietcongs Senior Member

contact the colleges which you are interested in and ask for an international student application. they should send you an application, you fill out the application and return it with an application fee, then you wait for acceptance. you do not have to declare a pre-med major until your second year at most schools. if you want to research top schools in the us. www.usnews.com us news and world report has educational rankings. hope this helps.

4. Kannan

Kannan Junior Member

Thx a lot for replying
    My problem is i am not sure on which colleges to apply.
    usnews.com doesn't have rankings for pre med when i checked.
    when i search with collegequest.com it gives me this huge list of colls, many having the range of my preferences.
    so can somebody help me with the list?
    The second problem is the SAT compulsary?
    since almost all collges say:
    " TOEFL Required,
    All other standardzied tests welcome but not required"
    also how about SAT II

sorry for taking your time,
    but it would be great if anybody could guide me.

Thanks a lot.
    Sincerely,
    Kannan.K

5. dude7

dude7 Senior Member

hello kannan, i have never dealt with this but i should be able to help you. First of all it really doesnt matter which university you do your pre medical education at. Just make sure you maintain good grades. I suggest you apply at state schools, which are larger universities, they usually have a lot of accomodational facilities for international students. as the previous poster stated, call or write universities here in the US and then you should ask them what to do. I am willing to bet that they will be more that glad to help you. So to recap, get a list of universities and contact them saying that you are an international student that would like to attend for education. If you need help with which universities to apply to, just ask me. I hope this helps :)

6. lalo5

lalo5 Member

Please somebody know where can i find National Board Dental Examination,,i would like to take the test, i am looking for used aids.
    Thanks
    Lalia

7. leorl

Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    Kannan, as had been said, it doesn't really matter where you go for premed. As an international student, you've probably only heard of the more prestigious ones anyway. The only difference would be cost. However, perhaps it might help as a premed to go to a school which has known hospitals connected to it, or are known for being good premed schools.

I'll give you just a random list, and my knowledge is very limited.

Case Western Reserve University (Cleveland, OH)
    Washington University in St. Louis
    Johns Hopkins
    Vanderbilt, Emory, the ivy leagues, stanford, UCLA, Northwestern, University of Chicago, University of Michingan... gosh...there's so many. Just search around :). Do you have a specific place/region you'd like to go? start there and then search for schools in that city/area.

8. Kannan

Kannan Junior Member

Thanks a lot everone.
    It was wonderful to get so much of help and replies.
    I am trying out each of the suggestions given by you'll.

i'll let you great guys know if something works out

thanks again
    kannan.