Please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MysticHealer

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, So i'm trying to decide whether or not to retake the MCAT in August, I took it Last Aug. and got a V:9, PS:11, W:p and a BS:10
And I'm a second semester Junior with a 3.506 GPA and majoring in Biochemistry. Think I stand a chance at some of the better schools?
By better I mean perhapse the Ivy's or just schools out of my home state New Jersey? ok so the word better dosen't apply.
Thanks for your input,
:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

So I forgot to add that I've been doing biochemical research for the past 2and a 1/2 years. Don't have any publications yet. Some but few EC, Lab work takes up a lot of my time.
So I'm considering going-md-pdh. I love the research.

What is your science GPA?
Are you an under-represented minority?

You have a good MCAT score and should apply in June. Once you have such a nice score, it is generally risky to take it again (statistics are NOT in your favor here). In addition, the August MCATS will cause your applications to be complete much later than most others. Although this year that was ok, next year everything might be back to normal.

If you have some oustanding ECs or are a URM, you have a chance at the Ivies. You may have a slight chance if you are not a URM and have average but good ECs.

You might have a shot at top 50 schools, but if I were you I would apply to a WIDE range of schools. You should also make sure your personal statement and interview skills are top-notch.

Lots of members of this board have similar scores and have done very well, while others have not because this process is a crapshoot as you will find out shortly. Please please please apply to a wide range of schools!

Dr Kermit comes to mind, I believe her scores were pretty similar and she has done very well in the process, because she applied to a wide range (although got into top notch schools as well). Maybe she'll come over here and enlighten us! :D

Best of luck to you!

p.s. I believe average stats of matriculants are about a 30 and a 3.6

Members don't see this ad :)
I think with that GPA that I would take the MCAT again. Your GPA is kinda low and a good mcat score can offset that.

MysticHealer, This whole admissions process is difficult to predict...
I think you should talk with your school's premed advisor (if it has one) or any other advisor. He/she will probably have a better understanding of this whole process than us and will be better able to evaluate your personal file.

I agree in talking with your premed advisor. This topic has been discussed a lot. Do a search for Accepted with MCAT's under 25, Accepted with MCAT's under 30, and GPA.

Personally I had similar stats (9,10,10,S) 3.5 GPA, applied to 21 schools (a wide range, Ivy and non-ranked) had 7 interviews(inc. Ivy), and as of right now 3 accepts and 1 waitlist.

The process has a lot of variables that nobody can predict. I would just say keep up the good work and if you want a Harvard or Duke, you will need to retake the MCAT, if you want your state school, or a good private school you should be okay.

Just my thougths :)

Hey I see you live in Piscataway do you go to Rutgers?

If you do, definately make an appointment with Dr. J at the HPO and find out what he says. He gives awesome advice. This past summer I didn't know if I should retake the MCAT (9V, 9P, and 10B) so I asked him. He looked over my file and took everything into consideration and told me that I would *probably* get in wtih my MCAT score, though he made no promises. He turned out to be right, I've gotten accepted at NJ med, Robert wood, and NY Med. My GPA is a little higher at 3.7 or so (though me AMCAS gpa is only a 3.5). Anyway the point is....go see him :) He could give you good advice on where to apply to also.

In my opinion you should not retake the MCAT. Well as long as you don't necessarily want the ivy's. Those scores should get you into NJ Med and Robert Wood and many others. I have a couple of friends with stats like yours who have gotten accepted. I would think as long as you ECs are decent and your letters are good also you should be fine at least for the jersey schools and a bunch of others.

Good luck :)

MysticHealer,

I agree with all the advice to talk to your advisor. Just wanted to add that if you're thinking of applying for MD-PhD programs, you might need a better MCAT score and maybe higher GPA. I'm sure there's someone here who can tell you this for sure. You can also check out the MSTP Blvd thread.

Good luck!

Make sure to include schools like Finch, GWU, and Albany. Your MCAT score is pretty good and like other posters said...statistically you're more likely to go down on a retry with that score. That said...you really do need to be happy with any admission you happen to get. 56% of all applicants are completely rejected each year. I don't know the difficulty of your undergrad because you left the name out. A GPA without an institution attached is nearly meaningless.

First off, I want to thank everyone for posting their input.
Yup you guessed right I attend Rutgers University. For those who know our Pre-med advisor, Dr. J, I did speak with him. He considerd my file and said I'd stan a good chance at the NJ schools and a few others. And on retaking the MCAT he told me I'd be crazy. But if i really wanted to go else where retaking it might be necessary. At that time I had planned to stay instate.
I Decided to post here to get a second opinion. Not that I doubt my pre-med advior but I'd perfer to a wide perspective.
So I have a 3.5 at Rutgers Does this change my situation?
I'm still at a loss as to how the average pre-med student selects 15 medical schools on average to apply to?
Thanks again

you can delete a post by using the edit feature (the pencil and paper icon abopve your post)

Mystic Healer-
I PMed you :)