Please Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

voiceMD1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
my statistics:

-3.2 gpa (upward trend junior+senior)
-34 MCAT
-Peace corp volunteer (2yrs)
-URM
-many leadership roles and extracurriculars

Should I apply next cycle?:xf: if not how should i prepare to apply.

Members don't see this ad.

What is your clinical experience in hours?
How many physician shadowing hours do you have?
What is your BCPM? Did you retake any low grades, and if so, what are your AACOMAS GPAs?

--I have two summers of research experience, havn't shadowed any physicians (may do so in the future). I served as a hospital volunteer (for 1 summer). Also, served as an executive officer for several campus organizations, immigrant mentor, and I currently work in the public health sector. BCPM is 3.0 (AACOMAS).

Members don't see this ad :)
--I have two summers of research experience, havn't shadowed any physicians (may do so in the future). I served as a hospital volunteer (for 1 summer). Also, served as an executive officer for several campus organizations, immigrant mentor, and I currently work in the public health sector. BCPM is 3.0 (AACOMAS).

I almost forgot, I have 1 research publication related to public health outreach.

Research and a publication are helpful. You have more than enough community service through the Peace Corps experience, which will be highly regarded. It's good to see that you have leadership as well.

While adcomms can be lenient wtih Peace Corps alumni in regards to some of the expected ECs, having only three months of clinical experience and zero physician shadowing would be stretching their tolerance. If you want to apply as soon as next summer, I strongly recommend that you resume some type of activity in a clinical milieu where you work with patients, as soon as possible. Do some physician shadowing. Gather Letters of Recommendation. Start framing the structure of your Primary Statement. Apply broadly to both MD (65-70% chance) and DO schools.

Research and a publication are helpful. You have more than enough community service through the Peace Corps experience, which will be highly regarded. It's good to see that you have leadership as well.

While adcomms can be lenient wtih Peace Corps alumni in regards to some of the expected ECs, having only three months of clinical experience and zero physician shadowing would be stretching their tolerance. If you want to apply as soon as next summer, I strongly recommend that you resume some type of activity in a clinical milieu where you work with patients, as soon as possible. Do some physician shadowing. Gather Letters of Recommendation. Start framing the structure of your Primary Statement. Apply broadly to both MD (65-70% chance) and DO schools.

Thanks for the feedback. How much shadowing experience is usually desired by most medical school....6months, 1yr, more than a year??

Also approximately how many schools would you suggest I apply, some people suggest 15-20, is this too many OR not enough?? I heard the net/total to apply is approximately $6,000-$8,000...Are you aware of any financial aid resources (websites, contacts, etc.) to help me fund this process?:xf: I know a couple of students who decided to max. credit cards to afford everything needed to apply:eek:

Thanks

1) How much shadowing experience is usually desired by most medical school....6months, 1yr, more than a year??

2) Also approximately how many schools would you suggest I apply, some people suggest 15-20, is this too many OR not enough??

3) I heard the net/total to apply is approximately $6,000-$8,000...Are you aware of any financial aid resources (websites, contacts, etc.) to help me fund this process?:xf: I know a couple of students who decided to max. credit cards to afford everything needed to apply:eek:
1) Shadowing can be done in intense bursts over a short time. About 50 hours is average, split among a few types of doc, to include a primary care physician. I commonly suggest 60-80 so as to cover the expectations of most if not all programs.

2) I think that 20 should be fine if you're including a good number of DO schools 5-7, say).

3) Look into whether you qualify for fee reductions for Primary and Secondary applications. Maybe try to group your schools into a (drivable)geographic region to decrease plane fare. Look for opportunities to stay with local med students instead of paying for a hotel. See if family members will provide you with loans. Look at SDN's Finance Forum for more ideas: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=30