Please help_scramble phone call: what to ask?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cliffh65

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I call the PD during scramble, what should I ask?
What kind of questions would PD ask me?
Any input would be highly appreciated.
Thanks a lot!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Just say you are very interested in the open position. Everything would probably be easy from there. I doubt it would be much of an interview situation, just judging based on how you talk normally would be my guess.

The two important questions I tend to ask are:

1. Why are you in the scramble in the first place?

2. What about my program interests you?

1. Why are you in the scramble in the first place?

These are exactly what was asked to me when I scrambled. I was also asked "If we accept you here will you be looking to transfer away, or will you stay?"

What's your feeling when people give you a forthright answer, such as a more polished form of "I am scrambling, and you have an open spot in a specialty I'm interested in."

I'm not trying to be a smart-ass, but if we end up having to scramble, time we spend researching the ins-and-outs of a certain program could mean it being filled by someone else.

True-

If you are scrambling, where in the world will you find time to do research on a program unless you have had experience with the program-like if you interviewed there before, you did an elective there, etc. Time taken to research a program takes a good amount of time. So, while you are doing the research, another applicant got the spot.

Most likely, you will be selecting programs based on (1) geography (places close to home or what not) and if those programs are filled then you would probably apply to programs where (2) you could see yourself, but isn't your top choice...and if worse comes to worse, you'd might be applying to a program where you just (3) "want a spot", like Boondocks, USA.

So, if you are asked the "Why are you interested in our program?" question, what do programs expect out of applicants "scrambling for a position", who are just vying for a position (2,3 above), who have no experience with said program (which I think is true for a majority of those scrambling).

I think it's a fair question, and only needs a simple answer. Of course, we're both in the scramble -- I've got an open slot and you have no match. Neither of us is really going to get to look the other over completely, but I need some sense of what you are looking for.

Are you looking for a fellowship? Do you like the location? Are you looking in a competitive field and any spot will do?

Are you looking in a competitive field and any spot will do?

Do you (or most PD's if you can speculate) put much much stock into what the person was originally trying to match? For example, I'm trying for Rads, but I would be happy in Anes or ED- I just like Rads the most. Should the worst happen, I was thinking about trying to scramble for all three at the same time since there have only been about 15-30 or so spots for each, traditionally. But my whole app is geared towards Rads. What's your opinion on that? Would I be outa luck for the other two specialties?