PLEASE I need help on low MCAT practice test.Any advice to improve?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Henri1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello
I took kaplan on site as well as online class since May. I have been studying while working full time. My exam is this April however my practice test is not getting any better. I always get the low 20s. please I need help how to study and do this exam right. I dont know what I am doing wrong, I practice a lot and try to study 40 hrs a week despite my full time work. i just took a full length aamc practice test today and got only 18 agsin. the scores are spread as below:
physical section :7
VR : 3
Bio: 8

I am really doing my best but I don't know what am I doing wrong? They say practice makes perfect, I've been practicing a lot. I would greatly greatly appreciate your help please as my exam is jn less than 2 months. what can I do yo improve? Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest you flash your D Card at the school bully.

On a serious note, take some ESL classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
According to the conversion chart to the old official practice tests, a 3 in VR is roughly what you would get by randomly guessing (around a 25%). Your problem is probably an inadequate grasp of the English language--you have to address this problem before you can do well on the MCAT.

You've posted the same question on 4 threads. I'm sure you'll get the same answers. If english is your second language, work on that before taking the MCAT. For cheap verbal score building, read things like the Wall Street Journal and other higher-level english trade publications to acquire better verbal reasoning skills. Practice reading for comprehension, content, and speed. Try to acquire an older content of the TPRH in the classifieds section (should about $30-50) and use that to monitor your verbal progression.

Whereas your Physical sciences and Biological sciences section are relatively typical for just starting to study, your verbal is shockingly low as people have mentioned. Are you not finishing the sections? How do you feel when you're answering the questions? Are you narrowing it down to the 2 possible answers and picking the wrong one? Are you randomly guessing? You need to review the exam and address this deficiency in reading comprehension.

I would go back to Kaplan and talk to them. How did you do on their practice tests? diagnostic? Is this the first time you realized how low your scores are? I am pretty sure you can attend unlimited "retake" classes with them. Also ask them to extend your access until July/August, as you might have to delay taking the MCAT until your practice test scores are closer to your goal.

Judging from your post and your VR scores, I think it's likely that your problem is that English is your second language and you just don't have a solid enough grasp of it yet to do well on an exam as hard as the MCAT. I would suggest taking some time off to concentrate on improving your English skills before coming back to study for the MCAT.