• Scariest Story Contest

Now that it's getting close to Halloween, we're running a contest to hear your scariest stories! These can be scary stories that you've experienced or stories that you've heard and the story with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Please, ideas for a physiology model

J.opt

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2002
    Hey, my physiology professor is letting us build a homemade model about a process o system having to do with physiology for extra credit, and I thought that it would be great if I did something that had to do with vision. I was looking into building a model like the one described by rpames here http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71516&goto=nextoldest but my professor doesn?t want us to use lasers.
    Do you guys have any ideas?

Andrew_Doan

Doc, Author, Entrepreneur
    Moderator Emeritus
    Verified Expert
    15+ Year Member
    Gold Member
    Oct 1, 2002
    San Diego, CA
    www.facebook.com
    1. Attending Physician
      How about building a model to demonstrate how the globe is made of concentric circles and then show how blunt trauma causes rupture of these circles when the eye expands with trauma.

You can use a balloon for the globe and use styrofoam strips to represent the corneal limbus, sclera, and other structures of the eye.

If you could use a laser pointer, then you could build a model to explain Snell's law and the critical angle of reflection. This is the principal behind why we can't see the trabecular meshwork without a gonioscopy lens.

sin(-1) i = (1.00/1.33) sin 90

critical angle = i = 48.75 degrees

where i = incidence angle of light (coming from water = tear film)
      90 degrees = reflected angle of light (leaving from water to air)
      1.00 = index of refraction of air
      1.33 = index of refraction of water/tear film

Any light hitting the water-air interface less than 48.75 degrees will become internally reflected.

About the Ads

J.opt

7+ Year Member
      15+ Year Member
      Oct 24, 2002
        Thanks Andrew :clap:
        I was thinking of using some strings to demonstrate how the sphincter muscle contracts and relaxes, but I think that I?m going to go with your fist idea. :thumbup:

About the Ads
        This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.