Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Please Kick me in the Butt

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by DMB MD, Apr 28, 2004.

1. DMB MD

DMB MD Junior Member

Hi, this is my first post on these boards, but I have been "lurking around" for the past month. I figured now was the right time to register and post.

I am finishing up my freshman year as an undergrad, and have been doing well thus far. (3.6 GPA, Vol. at local hospital, starting research in my physiology professor's lab over the summer) But starting around two weeks ago just before midterms I started slipping. I just don't want to study (even though I eventually make myself do so) and am loosing the motivation and ambition I had in the beginning of the year. I don't know what it is. I love vol. at the hospital and all the experiences that come with it, and I am not questioning my decision to pursue a career in medicine, I know it is for me. I just can't get myself to work hard anymore.

I feel I just need a kick in the butt from others who know how I am feeling.

Ted

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. SailCrazy

SailCrazy I gotta have more cowbell
    10+ Year Member

A kick in the "but" eh? Well, I could chastise you for not spelling butt correctly... :D

More seriously, I don't think its reasonable to always be going 100% on your studies. The key is to make the most of you non-study time. If you're not studying, don't sit around and tell yourself that you should be studying. Go do something else that you'll enjoy. That way, you're at least "recharging the batteries" when your not studying, rather than beating yourself up over it.

... just my $.02

4. DMB MD

DMB MD Junior Member

I am sorry I was nervous about my first post.

:D

5. SailCrazy

10+ Year Member

I think that fits right in here!!! :laugh: :laugh:

6. Spitting Camel

Spitting Camel Anteater for Life!
    7+ Year Member

I'd be happy to kick your a$$.

Bend over... :laugh:

Welcome to SDN, my friend!

7. beanbean

beanbean 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Completely normal for this time of year. Just a few more weeks...don't lose your focus now!

8. Amy B

Amy B I miss my son so much
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Welcome to SDN[​IMG]

We all get into a slump when it comes with school. That is why you have to make sure your life isn't just school and getting into med school and worrying about MCAT, etc. ...... Keep hobbies or start a new hobby, anything that gets you away from classes and studying and the pressures of trying to get into med school. Then you will keep yourself fresh for school.

Couldn't find any smilies that would consitute a kick in the butt but this is close.
    [​IMG] How about if I knock some sense into you. :laugh:

9. pekq

pekq Gunner
    7+ Year Member

Ah yes, I remember the days when I was not yet a gunner. I was just an ordinary pre-med riding the curve to ace my pre-med courses. There was little incentive for me to work hard. But then I went into advanced bio courses with all the pre-med survivors and became a hardcore gunner. You too, will feel the gunner in you kick in once the competition racks up a notch or two.

As for a$$ wupping, take courses in biochem and bioengineering.

10. lesstalkmorock

7+ Year Member

pekq - right on brotha

there are a lot dmb fans on sdn. personally, i prefer nancies.org. whats your fav dave song? mine's pig.

11. fullefect1

fullefect1 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I have had the same problem as you recently, and I am in the same position as a freshman. Like SailCrazy said, make sure you make the most of your free time. This defenitely helps, especially when not thinking about studying or anything school related. It makes your life so much less stressful. Several weeks ago I was very stressed, then I just decided to not ever to think about school work except for certain times of the day that are set aside for studying. It has been working so far. You should try this if you are not currently doing it.

12. Pinkertinkle

Pinkertinkle 2003 Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Eh, im just post padding

13. SailCrazy

10+ Year Member

Isn't there a better thread in the Lounge for that?!? :D

14. DMB MD

DMB MD Junior Member

Thanks for the responses, it is nice to know that others feel stressed at times also.

I would have to say my favorite song is #41 or Spotlight. Are you going to any shows this summer?