please limit your essays to x words

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorB

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If the instructions say please limit your responses to 300 words and you put in 305 words will that be a problem? I assume some programs that these schools use might just take the first 300 words in which case this would be a problem. Anyone have any idea how this works?

Members don't see this ad.

DoctorB said:
If the instructions say please limit your responses to 300 words and you put in 305 words will that be a problem? I assume some programs that these schools use might just take the first 300 words in which case this would be a problem. Anyone have any idea how this works?

Not to sound mean, but you want to go to medical school, right?

300 words = 300 words. Just take out 5 unnecessary words. Also, you don't exactly "have" to go all the way up to 300.

There has to be some kind of cut-off, you know?

Some online applications do automatically cut the words at the prescribed limit.

Members don't see this ad :)
defrunner said:
Not to sound mean, but you want to go to medical school, right?

300 words = 300 words. Just take out 5 unnecessary words. Also, you don't exactly "have" to go all the way up to 300.

There has to be some kind of cut-off, you know?

Writting an essay under 300 words is difficult when you have a lot to say. I have already cut down a lot to get to 305.

Most likely they won't notice, though I'd cut to 300 just in case.

DoctorB said:
Writting an essay under 300 words is difficult when you have a lot to say. I have already cut down a lot to get to 305.
So cut it five more. Following instructions is a good idea on a med school app. This ain't for art school.