Please need advice ! Assume it's you

ZooZoo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am schudled to take the oat exam Monday the testing place is an hour away from me and it's early morning ... I studied for about 2 months straight for 12 hours straight ! However I was not rlly strong at the material ! I started taking practice exams yesterday and today I took the oat practice exams that I bought from Barnes and noble it had two practice exams ... However I scored about 13 out of 40 ( very very poor I'm physics section ) questions on each section but the maximum was a 26 out of 40 in the quantative section . I am freaking out and crying because I have studied and put so much effort ! Idk what to do ? I'm not sure should I just stop and not take the exam since I'm scoring below f on each section. What would you do if you were in my position please please be realistic and help me and not hurtful becuSe in stressed enough ! Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I would take the ADA practice exam as that is the closest thing (so I've heard) to the real OAT exam. See how well you do on that. IF you aren't doing close to as well as you want to on the real thing, then I might suggest pushing the date back (even though it means paying the fee). IF pushing it back isn't an option, I would still do the practice test and try to get a hold of any other practice questions and try those, go over why you get questions wrong and learn from them. Don't lose hope!!! You can do this!!

'

Reactions: 1 user
I would take the ADA practice exam as that is the closest thing (so I've heard) to the real OAT exam. See how well you do on that. IF you aren't doing close to as well as you want to on the real thing, then I might suggest pushing the date back (even though it means paying the fee). IF pushing it back isn't an option, I would still do the practice test and try to get a hold of any other practice questions and try those, go over why you get questions wrong and learn from them. Don't lose hope!!! You can do this!!

'

I lost hope I feel like no matter how much I do it won't work ... But yeah I'll take the Ada exam and let u guys know . Thank u

DON'T stress. I know it's HARD AF not to. BUT don't lose FOCUS. I recommend taking the ADA as well. And from here to your test day, just do practice test & figure out why you got the incorrect answers wrong.

DON'T STRESS!!
xoxo.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am schudled to take the oat exam Monday the testing place is an hour away from me and it's early morning ... I studied for about 2 months straight for 12 hours straight ! However I was not rlly strong at the material ! I started taking practice exams yesterday and today I took the oat practice exams that I bought from Barnes and noble it had two practice exams ... However I scored about 13 out of 40 ( very very poor I'm physics section ) questions on each section but the maximum was a 26 out of 40 in the quantative section . I am freaking out and crying because I have studied and put so much effort ! Idk what to do ? I'm not sure should I just stop and not take the exam since I'm scoring below f on each section. What would you do if you were in my position please please be realistic and help me and not hurtful becuSe in stressed enough ! Thank you

I don't know if I can be both realistic and not hurtful, but here's an attempt. You're studying the wrong way. If you truly invested that much time into studying you should not be scoring this low. How are you studying for this exam? What materials are you using? Are you doing practice problems? Let me know, maybe I can help you out.

Personally, I think the ADA practice is easier than the real OAT.

Hello . I started end of July basically June . I bought the big blue Kaplan book ... I made a Schudle for myself to finish the book so I would do two chapters a day and it was a lot ... I basically started from zero because I took chemistry a long time ago as well as physics . I would get all the Orgo probelms wrong doing the practice problems as well as physics . I literally would start from 9 in the morning till 9 or even more if I didn't finish with very few breaks.... I try very hard and that's why it upsets me cuz I tried and I still can't get high score ... I just took the Kaplan online exams ... And I got 260 so for bio it said 310 for other parts 200 200 280 .... I'm just panicking and not sure what to do ... I'm not sure if I should take the exam with my scores like this I realzied I'm weak in physics the time kills cuz when I try to do the problems I see that I'm almost running out of time and I don't want to keep guessing cuz that's wrong ...thanks for ur help

I don't know if I can be both realistic and not hurtful, but here's an attempt. You're studying the wrong way. If you truly invested that much time into studying you should not be scoring this low. How are you studying for this exam? What materials are you using? Are you doing practice problems? Let me know, maybe I can help you out.

y

Can you share with us the proper way of studying? I'm on the same boat as ZooZoo... Perhaps you can tell us how you studied and what ways helped you to a high score on the exam?

Reactions: 1 user
Hello . I started end of July basically June . I bought the big blue Kaplan book ... I made a Schudle for myself to finish the book so I would do two chapters a day and it was a lot ... I basically started from zero because I took chemistry a long time ago as well as physics . I would get all the Orgo probelms wrong doing the practice problems as well as physics . I literally would start from 9 in the morning till 9 or even more if I didn't finish with very few breaks.... I try very hard and that's why it upsets me cuz I tried and I still can't get high score ... I just took the Kaplan online exams ... And I got 260 so for bio it said 310 for other parts 200 200 280 .... I'm just panicking and not sure what to do ... I'm not sure if I should take the exam with my scores like this I realzied I'm weak in physics the time kills cuz when I try to do the problems I see that I'm almost running out of time and I don't want to keep guessing cuz that's wrong ...thanks for ur help

Can you share with us the proper way of studying? I'm on the same boat as ZooZoo... Perhaps you can tell us how you studied and what ways helped you to a high score on the exam?

Of course, check out my thread: https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/oat-experience-advice.1156678/

You need to actively learn the material, it doesn't really help if you read whats in Kaplan but you don't know how to apply the concepts when doing problems. I hope I'm stating the obvious when I say that you should learn what you did wrong on practice problems and understand how you can get similar problems right the next time you encounter them. It's difficult for me to give you solid advice that will improve your scores because I cannot pinpoint what concepts you're getting wrong.

In my thread I point out that I don't recommend seeking out expensive tutoring or classes, but this is under the assumption that you've been exposed to most of the material on the OAT in undergrad or other schooling. If you've never seen most of the concepts on the OAT, I think you can really benefit from a tutor or someone teaching you directly and in person.

@ZooZoo Have you taken classes in college that covered the material on the OAT? If so, how long ago? It can be very difficult to grasp the material if you have never seen it before in your life.

Of course, check out my thread: https://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/oat-experience-advice.1156678/

You need to actively learn the material, it doesn't really help if you read whats in Kaplan but you don't know how to apply the concepts when doing problems. I hope I'm stating the obvious when I say that you should learn what you did wrong on practice problems and understand how you can get similar problems right the next time you encounter them. It's difficult for me to give you solid advice that will improve your scores because I cannot pinpoint what concepts you're getting wrong.

In my thread I point out that I don't recommend seeking out expensive tutoring or classes, but this is under the assumption that you've been exposed to most of the material on the OAT in undergrad or other schooling. If you've never seen most of the concepts on the OAT, I think you can really benefit from a tutor or someone teaching you directly and in person.

@ZooZoo Have you taken classes in college that covered the material on the OAT? If so, how long ago? It can be very difficult to grasp the material if you have never seen it before in your life.
Thanks for sharing!
I agree with on actively learning the material

Meehai ... I have taken these courses two years ago apparently now that I re taught myself I thought it was all new for me I don't know why but I feel like I forgot all . I find it impossible to get a good score since I crammed so much info the Kaplan has so many chapters and ur right I know how to do things but when it comes to actual problems I get stuck ... I'm going to take the second Kaplan exam tommrow I'll let u know how it goes

How are u studying for it and when is ur exam ?
I'm studying from the Kaplan blue book and taking notes. Also taking practice tests.
I' haven't set a date yet, but i'm aiming towards late september.
I wish we could study together :)

I'm studying from the Kaplan blue book and taking notes. Also taking practice tests.
I' haven't set a date yet, but i'm aiming towards late september.
I wish we could study together :)
Mine is Monday :( I know I just wish I had someone to study with cuz it would of made it so much easier talking it out instead of stacks of note cards ... Good luck :)

I second the idea that you should know what you did wrong (that was what helped me the most). Be sure to work through the practice problems that you missed. It's not enough to just glance through the solution if you're struggling with it. Also mark where your thinking went wrong, where you used the wrong equation, etc. I made my marks obnoxious, so that I would see it and remind me what I missed, but a different method may work for you. Lastly, schedule structured breaks and take them! I know it's hard when it's crunch time, but your brain really can't work continuously for so long. Give your brain some time to rest. On top of that, try not to study the day before the OAT. Get some of your friends to help you relax! Resting well is really very important.

I hope that these tips are at least somewhat helpful, and do your best! :D

Mine is Monday :( I know I just wish I had someone to study with cuz it would of made it so much easier talking it out instead of stacks of note cards ... Good luck :)
Good luck!!! Let me know how it goes! Is this your first time taking the OAT?