please need your urgent help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yousif kamon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
today i had a call from one of the IM program (not participating in the NRMP ) and they offer me prematch , i already registered in the NRMP and i can not withdraw from the match (last day was yesterday) , what happen if accept the prematch , i know it is NRMP match violation , my question could the NRMP pevent me from starting residency in the prematch program ? thank you for reply

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't think they could stop you from going to the out-of-match program, although you'd almost certainly incur sanctions for the match violation. You'd have to consider how much that matters to you (they can give up to a lifetime ban, although I believe that's unusual), especially since the NRMP runs the matching system for most of the IM fellowships too.

Sorry to hear about that though. It's a ****ty situation for the program to put you in, contacting you the day after the rank list deadline.

Last edited:
thank you for reply , i am confused , the program that offer me the prematch is very good program , and my chance to match through the NRMP is very slim , i dont know what to do ?

Ask the program what to do. Since you want to accept the offer they would likely be very eager to help you out.

You'll probably be flagged for a match violation, which may or may not be a problem when using NRMP to match into a fellowship.

thank all for reply , i will not apply do fellowship after residency

thank all for reply , i will not apply do fellowship after residency

well for one, you never know if you'll change your mind about fellowship - so it's just best to not burn down bridges....however if you don't think that you'll match, then you might as well accept the pre-match offer...best case scenario: you accept the pre match offer, you don't match in the NRMP and therefore you'll have no future sanctions....look out for yourself at this juncture.

today i had a call from one of the IM program (not participating in the NRMP ) and they offer me prematch , i already registered in the NRMP and i can not withdraw from the match (last day was yesterday) , what happen if accept the prematch , i know it is NRMP match violation , my question could the NRMP pevent me from starting residency in the prematch program ? thank you for reply

If a program was garbage enough to give you a prematch offer after the rank list deadline then perhaps it's not the greatest place ever. I don't know a single "good" IM program that is outside the match as is so I'm not sure how it can be "good" as you say. But anyway, not a great situation to be in. I do feel for you.

If the program is offering pre-match position that means they won't be participating in the match. As such, maybe you can try to contact them and tell them that since they made the mistake of contacting you after the RoL, you won't be able to accept their offer till after match day in order to not violate the NRMP.

I don't know if they'd be willing to wait a few weeks, but it might be worth a shot.

try to contact NRMP and see if you can get a waiver, and get out of the match. Make sure you tell the program what the situation is. Tell them you are interested but because they contacted you after the ROL deadline, you need to verify with NRMP what the repercussions would be for your future, and if there is a way to get out late.

If the program is offering pre-match position that means they won't be participating in the match. As such, maybe you can try to contact them and tell them that since they made the mistake of contacting you after the RoL, you won't be able to accept their offer till after match day in order to not violate the NRMP.

I don't know if they'd be willing to wait a few weeks, but it might be worth a shot.

Isn't the match binding though? I think this would only work if OP did not match, otherwise it would still be a violation if he matched and then subsequently signed a contract with the other program after match day.

try to contact NRMP and see if you can get a waiver, and get out of the match. Make sure you tell the program what the situation is. Tell them you are interested but because they contacted you after the ROL deadline, you need to verify with NRMP what the repercussions would be for your future, and if there is a way to get out late.
I second this, try to get a NRMP waiver

Isn't the match binding though? I think this would only work if OP did not match, otherwise it would still be a violation if he matched and then subsequently signed a contract with the other program after match day.
I meant him telling them that he can only accept their offer if he doesn't match. They might not be willing to wait around, but since they aren't participating in the match its not like they have a deadline.