Please Offer Some Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LittleLuck

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Fellow SDN'ers

As I sit through another cycle of applying to med school, I am getting more and more worried because I have not yet 1 single interview. I am a re-applicant

MCAT 31R (10V, 11PS, 10BS) Also on my last MCAT i had an 11V.
cGPA 3.92
sGPA 3.86
2 semesters of research (Chemistry and Psychology)
3 years of volunteering in High School
Resident Assistant at my college for 3.5 years
TA position at my school for Organic Chemistry
I am currently working at a cancer research center/lab as a lab coordinator and also volunteering at New York Presbyterian. These positions allow me to shadow physicians as well.

I did not apply to top heavy schools or anything of that sort. My question is can there be something in my app that is a red flag? I should also mention i got one interview last year with a 29 but was waitlisted and obviously did not matriculate.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Based on what you listed, I don't see anything substantially wrong; I could seriously see you getting accepted.

There are possible other things like bad LORs (rare though)...

Are you a CA resident?

Based on what you listed, I don't see anything substantially wrong; I could seriously see you getting accepted.

There are possible other things like bad LORs (rare though)...

Are you a CA resident?

Fortunately no haha, I'm from New York. Just to provide some more information, my MCAT scores came out on 8/28, but I had done all my secondaries before, so I was complete at most of my schools (17 in all) beginning of September

Members don't see this ad :)
What kind of volunteering did you do in high school? Your credentials are really great overall, but I do notice you have a lot more research on your resume than clinical experience. You mentioned that you applied last year; did any school give you feedback?

What kind of volunteering did you do in high school? Your credentials are really great overall, but I do notice you have a lot more research on your resume than clinical experience. You mentioned that you applied last year; did any school give you feedback?

Well I worked at a specialized hospital for approximately 20+ months(throughout the school years), 8 hours a week. I'm also volunteering at a hospital at present, its been about 3 months there.

And unfortunately the few schools I tried didn't give me great feedback, so I became discouraged and didn't ask all the schools, which was a mistake that I now realize and curse myself for.

As I sit through another cycle of applying to med school, I am getting more and more worried because I have not yet 1 single interview. I am a re-applicant

cGPA 3.92
sGPA 3.86
I am currently working at a cancer research center/lab as a lab coordinator and also volunteering at New York Presbyterian. These positions allow me to shadow physicians as well.

I did not apply to top heavy schools or anything of that sort. My question is can there be something in my app that is a red flag? I should also mention i got one interview last year with a 29 but was waitlisted and obviously did not matriculate.

Besides the improved MCAT score, what other improvements did you make in your application between the first and second time you submitted an application, other than a month or so of clinical volunteering?

Were you involved in any altruistic activities in college? Any leadership? Did you have any shadowing listed? When did you start the TA gig?

Besides the improved MCAT score, what other improvements did you make in your application between the first and second time you submitted an application, other than a month or so of clinical volunteering?

Were you involved in any altruistic activities in college? Any leadership? Did you have any shadowing listed? When did you start the TA gig?

Well I always thought me being a resident assistant constituted as a leadership experience since we were responsible for a large number of students, as well a student activities, several fundraisers, planning of conferences, and other school related activities. I started my TA position junior year, it was for about 6 months only. Between last year and this got the full time gig as a lab coordinator at the cancer diagnostic lab. I wasn't too shadow heavy but my job and the hospital gig allows me to see physicians at work. Thats about it for the gap year..

Well I always thought me being a resident assistant constituted as a leadership experience since we were responsible for a large number of students, as well a student activities, several fundraisers, planning of conferences, and other school related activities.
There are RAs that are basically babysitters, and RAs that are more like cops, but it sounds like you did utilize the position to demonstrate leadership qualities.

I'd consider your clinical experience (where you interact directly with sick people) to be on the weak side, as you have gained so little during the college years. Hopefully, your current volunteer gig gives you maximum patient experience. I think it will be very important for you to send schools update letters about this, where permitted, to let them know you are activiely engaged in plugging this serious hole.

If you didn't have a listing that included mention of shadowing, discuss any augmentations to that experience. Also include the progress you're making at your job. With the contacts you have, I suggest you arrange some formal shadowing experience with a few office-based physicians so you can see that side of medicine, too.

Strongly consider adding some nonmedical community service, ideally serving the poor, for a few hours a week and include mention of this.

If you do all this and end up reapplying next season, you'll be in a much stronger position, but hopefully, update letters will have the intended positive impact for this application year.

Just my opinion.

Thank you for taking time out and offering some advice Catalystik, I very much apprreciate it. I will send an update letter pertaining to the issues you addressed, and hopefully it will have a positive outcome.

Your numbers are stellar, and your ECs look great, so I suspect two things are possible:

1) it's still early in the game, so be patient, interview invites might be coming.

2) there's a red flag in your file. Do you have any legal issues? Any disciplinary actions? OR there's a bad LOR in there. At our school, a bad LOR is enough to sink a candidate, but not prevent an interview invite.

if you have a pre-med committee, perhaps chat with them to see if you can fish out anything negatory. OR chat with your own advisor.

Please let us know how things turn out...good luck!

Hello Fellow SDN'ers

cGPA 3.92
sGPA 3.86

Your numbers are stellar, and your ECs look great, so I suspect two things are possible:

1) it's still early in the game, so be patient, interview invites might be coming.

2) there's a red flag in your file. Do you have any legal issues? Any disciplinary actions? OR there's a bad LOR in there. At our school, a bad LOR is enough to sink a candidate, but not prevent an interview invite.

if you have a pre-med committee, perhaps chat with them to see if you can fish out anything negatory. OR chat with your own advisor.

Please let us know how things turn out...good luck!

Thanks for taking time out to post in this thread, it means a lot to me! Yeah I did have a committee and we do interviews where our advisor puts everything in a letter, and I thought my interview went pretty well and it seemed like we understood each other, but you can never know these things. And no I do not have any disciplinary action against me. I will definitely tell you guys how it goes as I send an update letter to schools this morning, hopefully things will sway my way for a change.

Your clinical experience seems on the weak side, and your application overall seems a bit lackluster (no evidence of passion for anything, medically related or not).

Still, I would expect your application to receive attention at least from state schools depending on your overall "story."

It's still early in the cycle, but you don't want to be one of those applicants who gets a late interview->waitlist->rejection, putting you in a very difficult spot for round 3. I suggest you start preparing yourself for that scenario right now. No significant changes from one round to another would definitely put a negative mark on your application. If the worst-case scenario comes, then this way you will be ready.

Your clinical experience seems on the weak side, and your application overall seems a bit lackluster (no evidence of passion for anything, medically related or not).

Still, I would expect your application to receive attention at least from state schools depending on your overall "story."

It's still early in the cycle, but you don't want to be one of those applicants who gets a late interview->waitlist->rejection, putting you in a very difficult spot for round 3. I suggest you start preparing yourself for that scenario right now. No significant changes from one round to another would definitely put a negative mark on your application. If the worst-case scenario comes, then this way you will be ready.

Just out of curiosity, what activities would show "passion" for medicine on a piece of paper? Would I have to invent a new drug that cures AIDS? Or start a free clinic? Because I really don't understand how one would show passion through activities besides the one's I have been apart of already.

Just out of curiosity, what activities would show "passion" for medicine on a piece of paper? Would I have to invent a new drug that cures AIDS? Or start a free clinic? Because I really don't understand how one would show passion through activities besides the one's I have been apart of already.

You have been volunteering with NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital which I believe is under a not-for-profit organization as a whole. So, your passion towards healthcare is evident. However, it is also a good idea to blatantly go out there and work at community service events for disadvantaged and underserved communities even if primary care is not something you are pursuing. I just don't understand what's going on with your case. As someone previously stated your application appears to be strong and your ECs are very decent. I too would suspect that ADCOM see a red flag in your Personal statement or Letter of Recommendation. Give it time though, it's still some what early! I have multiple friends that got into medical school with interviews in January and February.

You have been volunteering with NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital which I believe is under a not-for-profit organization as a whole. So, your passion towards healthcare is evident. However, it is also a good idea to blatantly go out there and work at community service events for disadvantaged and underserved communities even if primary care is not something you are pursuing. I just don't understand what's going on with your case. As someone previously stated your application appears to be strong and your ECs are very decent. I too would suspect that ADCOM see a red flag in your Personal statement or Letter of Recommendation. Give it time though, it's still some what early! I have multiple friends that got into medical school with interviews in January and February.

I appreciate you kind words sir, and congratulations on your acceptance at VCU! I'm going to keep my head up and take the advice of everyone and do some non-clinical volunteer work.

This is for you to figure out. Medical schools ask for essays/interviews for a reason. Sometimes it isn't what you do, but how you do it, and this is often the biggest factor beyond grades/MCAT for admissions. You will see people with a laundry list of ECs that do poorly and people with a handful of ECs do extremly well across the board. There is a reason for that.

By the way, I suggest you take care to not show that sarcastic/defensive posture in your essays/interviews/interaction with other people. It is grounds for rejection, and perhaps it may be revealed somewhere in your application that you would not suspect.