please, please help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mazya

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in already in WesternU, and have interviews for UHS, NOVA, and CCOM. Since I already got in my state school, I am reluctant to go to the other interviews. I am losing on anything? Does it really matter which school I go to? Please let me know what you think.

Members don't see this ad.

Everyone is a bit biased about the advice they give. If you are happy at the California school, then just go there and stay focused on your education and don?t look back. You will be able to achieve all your goals in any of the schools you mentioned, it just depends on how hard you work. Some of the schools might be a bit more organized in their clinical rotations or they might have you rotate at hospitals that you like. But I would pick a place that you will be happy living in.. Med school is hard enough without living in a place that you will be unhappy.
I am sure you will do fine.. Someday you will look at this and realize that this was one of the "easier" decisions that you had to make....

mazya,

I was accepted at both Nova and COMP. I picked Nova for several reasons:
1) Nova is a lot closer to my home town
2) The facilities at Nova a nicer and in a safer area
3) Nova is not in the LA area, I live across the street not across the city
4) The cost of attendance is about the same, but I think living expenses are less in FL
5) From talking to the students at both schools, I felt that the first semester/year at Nova was a lot less stressful (so far so good)

Hope this helps,

Clinton

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both for your replies. They are very helpful. I guess my biggest concern (and yes I know that it is wayyyy to early for me to think about it) is residency. Well, I have a questions about residency matchup. How much does the name of the medical school contribute towards being matched up (Let's say, everything being equal for the applicant like the GPA, Boards scores...).
Would someone from WesternU be automatically at a disadvantaged compared to someone from CCOM or UHS or NOVA? Thanks again for you advice.

mayza-
when making my decision for entry to med school, i weighed the clinical end very heavily b/c after all, you are training to get a job..

true, settle in a city you like and can deal with..chicago is damn cold and i hate that..however, compared to some other schools on my list at the time, ccom had the most stringent academics that produced the best board scores and it also had quite an appealing list of excellent rotation sites..

the rotation sites are now different, but still stronger than many other schools..

there is always a very big risk in attending a newly established school which may not have good clinical sites..the way you get around in the do world is to make connections--any world really..you need to have the flexibility in your program to get out there and showcase yourself in hospitals where you may want to practice..

take the interviews at the other schools--it cannot hurt to see what others have to offer and give yourself a little trip too!!

please don't sell yourself short on location only..you are training for the rest of your life..it is a big decision..make it with all the info..

good luck