Please rate and critique my resume

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reese07

15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You need to list your GPA. I know he said other than grades, but if he's calling it a resume, it should list GPA.

I would format it Major: Biology Minor: Chemistry instead of Major/Minor. Less confusing IMO.

It should be ordered by importance. Is your research really the least important part of your application?

Don't know if you're applying MD or DO, but if it's MD, I would leave out that the doctor you shadowed was a DO.

I'd say that your very well off. Your resume is very strong and possess real life time experiences and makes you seem like a very interesting individual from reading. I'd say that you might want to tell us how mant semesters/months of research you did and how many hours of volunteering you did. Otherwise I see you as a very well rounded individual.

Members don't see this ad :)
you need to list your gpa. I know he said other than grades, but if he's calling it a resume, it should list gpa.

I would format it major: Biology minor: Chemistry instead of major/minor. Less confusing imo. < yes>

it should be ordered by importance. Is your research really the least important part of your application? < iffy doesn't really matter that much, i'd say that its better to go from a general or less important to more important end, much more functional and impressive in style.

don't know if you're applying md or do, but if it's md, i would leave out that the doctor you shadowed was a do. < there is no war between md's and do's, you can include that he was a do. However feel free to just say that he was a internist>
:hungover:

Those descriptions are a bit long. For a more professional resume, I'd suggest editing them to sound more concise. Your school probably has a career center - drop by there and see if someone can go over the resume before you send it out.

National Honor Society is high school. No one cares about high school. You are in big boy or big girl world now.

*I was booked to do medical and volunteer work in Peru during spring break, but my team cancelled it, due to the earthquake in Chile.

It is wonderful that you booked a medical/volunteer trip in Peru, but it never happened. Do not list things that never happened...it's tacky and looks like fluff.

*i was booked to do medical and volunteer work in peru during spring break, but my team cancelled it, due to the earthquake in chile.

it is wonderful that you booked a medical/volunteer trip in peru, but it never happened. Do not list things that never happened...it's tacky and looks like fluff.

+1

yeah, for christ's sake don't put stuff down that you almost did. and plethora is ******ed take it out. shorten your stuff down a bit my eyes glazed over. concision is your friend i promise.

that hospice stuff is hot. that national honor society stuff is not.

also, don't think you can fool us with your clubs and senator status etc., this prof sounds like he's trying to be impressed with your resume and i don't think you're cutting it.

Good starting point but it needs some work. Mainly I would focus on shortening it, and making it more professional.

1. Do not use words like "plethora" in a resume.

2. Do not start a sentence with "Basically, we...." in a resume.

3. Under extra-curricular studies, give one sentence description of what you did after each one. You should have a similar format throughout your whole resume.

4. Under medical volunteering, put this in a bullet or list type format. And do NOT interpret the experiences. Just list them. You are going into way too much detail, and it is extraneous detail at that. Don't try to dress up extremely basic activities, just list your title and what you did, when, and for how long.

The fact that I am able to be an important part of a person’s last moments and to have a chance to provide them with emotional support is a very personal and satisfying experience for me.
This type of sentence should never be on a resume. Perhaps in a personal statement, but not a resume.

5. Do not list an activity you never did.

6. Under non-medical volunteering, you give a list in sentence form. I would change this to bullet point list. Title, what you did, when, for how long.

7. Too much detail in your description of science research. 1-2 sentences max.

I have dates listed for every bullet point on my resume, ie "research in lab x, dec 2008 - present". Gives the reader insight into the time depth of your research/whatever.

Isn't TWU, Texas WOMEN'S University?

If so, it's quite impressive that they have a men's basketball team...

FYI, TWU is a coed school and does have an intramural mens basketball team.

Way to instantly associate your real life identity with 120 posts on a message board. Seriously, did you think this through?

Way to instantly associate your real life identity with 120 posts on a message board. Seriously, did you think this through?

::thumbup::
i agree with marcus . it's not such a good idea to let people know who you are in real life and how we can attribute your views to your real life identity.
it can come back and hurt you in the future.
best to stay safe.

resume otherwise looks nice. since in your OP you indicated that your professor wanted a resume from you ..
i would suggest filling out more detail about the clubs you were involved in. IE what was the purpose / goals of the club.
i mean helping hands does sound like a prehealth club aimed at helping people with health care issues or perhaps it's a soup kitchen.. who knows?
i mean this is for your professor to get to know you a bit better other than grades so perhaps more is better.

please note i would not use this as a resume for professional job.
best of luck