Please Read& advise. When to take Step 2 CK- In a difficult situation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InternalRocks

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Posted here a number of months ago- unfortunately I had to complete an extra month of surgery due to illness during my rotation. I was overworked during the rotation (100 hrs/wk in a very malignant place), worked for 14 days straight, and I got pneumonia and had to be at the hospital for 4 days, which I had an excuse for.

The surgery department felt that my surgical "experience" was inadequate that first month, so they made me repeat a month (which I am currently finishing) at the end of this, my third year.

I have been studying for Step 2ck, and am scheduled to take it August 9. Unfortunately, due to the surgery rotation, I have not had adequate preparation. After August 10, there is a transition to a form with less questions, thus the results will not be available until October 10.

What should I do? Will I still be invited on interviews without a Step 2 Score? Is it looked down upon if step 2 scores are not sent in with the app? Does any residency require step 2 during application? I got a 215 on my step one.

Members don't see this ad.

I got invites from some schools before my Step 2 score came back. I'd also heard that most schools wait for the dean's letter to be released November 1st but I had almost all my invites before then.

Keep in mind that you can submit your application on September 1st even if you don't have your LORs or scores in, which I did. I think you'll be okay if you get the results October 10th, just have them released automatically to avoid any delays.

I got invites from some schools before my Step 2 score came back. I'd also heard that most schools wait for the dean's letter to be released November 1st but I had almost all my invites before then.

Keep in mind that you can submit your application on September 1st even if you don't have your LORs or scores in, which I did. I think you'll be okay if you get the results October 10th, just have them released automatically to avoid any delays.

Thank you for your response. I appreciate it. please keep responses coming

Last edited:
What should I do? Will I still be invited on interviews without a Step 2 Score? Is it looked down upon if step 2 scores are not sent in with the app? Does any residency require step 2 during application? I got a 215 on my step one.

Unless you're an IMG/FMG, you are freaking out over nothing. I didn't have my Step 2 scores until after ROLs were in. If you're a US/DO grad, your Step 1 score should be OK (not Stanford/UCSF/Hopkins OK but good enough for the majority of programs). Just apply and go about your business.

If you're an IMG/FMG it's a bit more of an issue but as long as you take it and get your ECFMG paperwork going, it shouldn't be a huge problem.

Good Luck.