Please read: Michigan's or Johns Hopkins' secondaries and U Chicago, too

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you have filled out Michigan's or Johns Hopkins' secondaries, please post what format it was in, what questions were asked, and any other information about it. Thanks.

Also, post if you have filled out U Chicago, Pritzker's secondary, too.

Members don't see this ad.

michigans was very basic and had a 1/3 of a page for an essay, I don't remember the topic though.

I though U-M's was kind of strange (but I only applied to three schools, so maybe it isn't). You receive a little blue form right away after applying that asks you to type (on a typewriter on their form, how irritating, I don't even own one) all of your pre-med requirements, and at the bottom you have about 4" to write out a little essay. Oh, and you of course have to fork out the cash...

My secondaries from the other two schools had between 3 and 5 essays on top of a bunch of other stuff, but the U-M one says simply to send your letters of rec, no more essays. I quickly came to the conclusion that this was a number-heavy app process.

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I remember, Michigan asked you to list six (?) activities that were important to you and then on the bottom half of the page they ask you to pick one and talk about it. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but thats what I remember.

Plus, I believe that they prescreen before they send secondaries so only 25% get this part.

Good luck.

hi there,

I'm not lloking at the exact app for Hopkins, but I do remember some of the questioning.

1. Did you take a break from your schooling? If so, why?
2. Work experience
3. Honors, awards, etc.
4. Why medicine?
5. Volunteer experience

I'll try to remember and grab it at home and send you a message.

electra

All I can add is good luck at U Chicago. I applied early with great MCAT/GPA, and interviewed in September thinking I was golden. I STILL haven't gotten a ****ing answer out of them. Don't worry, you'll get bitter too.

michigan may also offer you an interview at the same time they mail you your secondary.