Please Read!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rerock

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I JUST found out I was accepted to Rosalind Franklin. I have already been accepted to Penn State. I HAVE NO IDEA WHICH TO CHOOSE! Neither school is a top choice for me, and both are far from home. Does anybody have an opinion? Does anybody know the strength of the clinical rotations comparatively for these schools?

For Penn State, I really liked the curriculum and focus on the humanities, friendliness of student body (that I saw on second look weekend), but am not sure the diversity of clinical training at the school because of the rural location. Does anybody know more?

At Rosalind Franklin, I like the location and the fact that I would spend two years in Chicago. I did not get a strong sense of the student body (I interviewed late there and have not gone back to visit). HOw big an issue should its probationary status play in my decision? IS it a detriment that there is no affiliated hospital?

People say match lists are no predictor of where a student will match, but like most students at Rosalind Franklin, I am from California and hope to return. Also does anybody know how happy students are at either of these schools? I would like to have a decent quality of life, at least as much as possible, during medical school.

What would you guys do if you were in my shoes????????

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, breathe and relax. I can tell you are very excited!

Conglatulations!!!

I would choose RF because of the location. I love Chicago ( it gets really cold so it may be tough for you since you are from California)

I would choose Penn...but my inlaws live near there and my husband has an uncle there who is a radiologist and another uncle there who is a family practice doc.

I mean, philly cheesesteaks...you gotta pick Penn.

Members don't see this ad :)
bmcgilligan said:
I would choose Penn...but my inlaws live near there and my husband has an uncle there who is a radiologist and another uncle there who is a family practice doc.

I mean, philly cheesesteaks...you gotta pick Penn.
Penn State is different than Penn...I dunno if you are mistaken.

I would choose penn state. But I really think it does with the gut feeling you got when you went to each school.

i dont know much about RF but their current status (probation, no affiliations) is to me a significant issue that i wouldn't want to worry about

My vote's for Penn State.

teh-t said:
i dont know much about RF but their current status (probation, no affiliations) is to me a significant issue that i wouldn't want to worry about

Precisely what I was trying to prevent discussing.

should i have not mentioned this?

I wouldn't worry about the probation thing. Location is a big deal because this will help determine how happy you are while you spend four years there. Opinion wise, I would choose Penn State because of the warmer climate (somewhat).

I'm not sure what this probation thing is all about (heck, RF didn't even exist as RF when I was applying) but if it's an LCME thing, I would definitely take it into consideration. The LCME are the folks that accredit medical schools. If they yank a school's accreditation, a degree from there is essentially worthless (without jumping through extra hoops, at least). So, if that's the scoop, it should certainly play a role in your decision. Hopefully others closer to the situation have more to add. Congrats and good luck. Peace.

I;ve spoken to many ppl about the probation issue, including current/former students and a friend that goes there now. It should not be a weighing factor in your decision. Many schools have gone through the same and not lost their accredidation. The school has addressed nearly all the issues that the LCME were concerned about. Do an SDN search and you can find more info about it.

I personally am going there as an AP student and really excited about it. First of all, its in Chicago!!! Great food, culture, sights, etc...

RFUMS student also do very well on the USMLE step 1 and I understand that the clinical experience you get is great. Plus, as mentioned before, you get to do your rotations in a diverse environment. Hope that helps a little! :)

Penn State.

RF isn't even in Chicago, it is 40 miles away in the city of "North Chicago".
The lack of an affiliated hospital should be a very big deal, particularly for accreditation. The school has also been in the news this week over arrests of two former members of the board of trustees who are accused of defrauding the school.

Penn State is highly regarded (highly ranked in Primary Care) & Milton S. Hershey Medical Center is a highly regarded tertiary center. It may be rural but all that means is that the patients have traveled farther to get there. It has over 500 beds and is a level 1 trauma center.

Compare to a school with a tarnished reputation and no affiliated hospital, I'd say it is a slam-dunk. Penn State.