Please recommend a Community College

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tomoko

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have decided to choose the Caribbean route. Being an English major, I am looking for a Community College to complete the pre requisite sciences:

Two semesters (with Lab) of:

General Chemistry -> Organic Chemistry
Physics
Biology

1. Please kindly recommend me a Community College in USA where I can complete the pre requisite sciences ASAP (within 1 year? for a full time student).

2. From Internet search, I found Pima Community College at Tucson, Arizona.

Does anyone know of this school?

And how is Tucson, Arizona? A desert: hot, dry, with expensive water? cheap living cost?

(Please don't laugh at me, because I have never been to America.)

3. Or does anyone know if distance learning sciences can be accepted (with the Lab in college)?

Thank you very much for your kindness and help.
And good luck to you all!

Tomoko

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Tomoko....

I would venture to say that any community college would suffice. Although there are some that are much better than others. I assume that you are japanese from your name. I know that there are a lot of japanese student at Santa Monica College in Southern California. And that school has a very good reputation.

As far as completing your pre req's in one year.....good luck!
that would be quite an impressive load to carry. Especially since most school require the one year of general chem before you take organic chem. Although some schools might let you work your way around that. But even if you did, there would be a couple logistical problems.

First, I'm sure that there would be serious time conflicts in when the classes are offerred. Some of the classes would probably be at the same time and day. Also, the labs are large chunks of class time, and I would think it would be near impossible to get a schedule that worked out.

I hope this helps a little

Tomoko...

I agree with the above poster - to try and get all the pre-requisites completed in 1 year would be very difficult, if not impossible. Often you cannot get into the class you want, or there are other prereqs which you must take first.

Most any community college would suffice and most communities of moderate size have them. MY advice would be to choose a community where you want to live and then settle there, enrolling in a local community college.

Yes, Arizona is hot and dry, but the water is really no more expensive than elsewhere in the US. Air conditioning will be your bigger expense.

I would discourage you from distance learning as the medical community is somewhat suspicious of it (ie, they will be unsure how to judge your course work compared with those who have taken it the old fashioned, didactic way) and most of the med school science pre-reqs have laboratories (which obviously cannot be done at a distance) required.

Best of luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are a # of schools with accelerated programs for pre-professional students. Typically, they cover one academic year in one semester by doubling the hours and splitting the semester in half. Thus, it is possible to complete all prerecs in ~8 months.

Park College in the KC, MO area had this setup, as well as a # of other colleges. Some of the chiropractic colleges know of accelerated programs.

In 1993, I completed 63 semester hours in two semesters in an accelerated program. Most of my classmates went on to healthcare programs, eg MD, DO, DPM, DC, DMD and DVM. The great majority in the US.

Some of the Carib programs have one year pre-MD programs. MUA comes to mind and possibly SGU.

In my opinion, Santa Barbara City College is an outstanding CC. The city is expensive, but the tuition is bearable (I think for int'l students also).

I don't know of any accelerated programs with them, but many parts of their science dept. were better than my undergrad. I learned anatomy using real bones and real cadavers. I dissected a cadaver with a small team of 4 others the following semester.

You can find them on the web.