Please share if you went on the Dartmouth Med School tour...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by SuperGrover, Apr 16, 2002.

1. SuperGrover

SuperGrover Member

Resident [Any Field]
    When I visited Dartmouth last month, I wasn't able to see any of the actual *school* tour because both of my interviews were at the hospital in the late afternoon. The hospital, of course, was lovely, but I don't have any feel for what it would be like to be a first- or second-year student at this school. Does anyone who attended this tour have any comment about the facilities--the classrooms, the anatomy labs, etc.? I remember seeing the library and the student lounge, which is interesting considering that they're both at the hospital rather than the school itself. Anyone care to share?

I was excited to receive an acceptance letter yesterday in the mail (yay!), and I'm hoping that the mailman will bring the famed DVD soon so that I can hopefully get a better glimpse at the school. Does anyone know if it shows facilities at all?

I may just break down and visit sometime in the next few weeks. Has anyone heard anything about a second-look weekend?

Thanks very much...I appreciate it!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. anatole

anatole New Member

Dartmouth visiting days are May 3 and 4. Anyone going?

4. vyc

vyc Senior Member

i vaguely remember the actual school not being as impressive as the hospital.
    (i remember going down into the basement classrooms?? it was dark!)

but dude, that hospital is the most amazing one i've ever seen.

5. botticelli

botticelli Member

Supergrover, were you on the waitlist? Do you have any information about how many students have been admitted, etc.???? Thanks!!!!

6. rubberducky

rubberducky Member

I am going to second look. I also did not see the campus because it was snowing too hard and I had to get on the road. I would like to hear other people's impressions. We all know the hospital is great. How about the campus?

7. SuperGrover

SuperGrover Member

Resident [Any Field]
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by botticelli:
    <strong>Supergrover, were you on the waitlist? Do you have any information about how many students have been admitted, etc.???? Thanks!!!!</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Botticelli,
    I wasn't on the waitlist...I received an acceptance 6wks. post-interview. If you're interested, the acceptance letter came in a small envelope that was slightly thick--in fact, I announced to my family that it was "another waitlist" before I opened it, because it really felt like it had an envelope in it. The envelope-feeling thing inside was actually a handwritten card from the director of admissions welcoming me. It was very nice, overall, I have to say.

The letter didn't say anything about how many people had already been accepted--it just mentioned that in normal years the applicant pool was around 5500.

I remember their discussing the "batting average" concept of admissions scoring at the interview, and I got the impression that a lot of the decisions come late because they hold off on deciding about many. Are you currently on the waitlist, or have you not yet heard? I really hope it works out for you. Dartmouth seems like a really great school, and I'm thrilled to have been accepted, but it may be a bit expensive compared to another option I have. I promise that if I need to decline, I will do it ASAP. Good luck to you!! :)

8. botticelli

botticelli Member

SuperGrover, thanks for the kind response! I was waitlisted a couple of weeks ago for the Dartmouth/Brown program and was just wondering about the numbers because there are so few spots in that program. Good luck!!

9. Hopkins2010

Hopkins2010 Banned
    Banned

I was accepted to Dartmouth and got the DVD.

It doesnt really show much of the facilities from what I remember except for some of the main sections of the DHMC.

The campus itself seemed ok to me. Its exactly how I would picture a small, quaint New England college.