Please share with me how & what you study for anatomy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

C U in MD school

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok, so i've been trying to study anatomy, but i cant do it. i got netter, but there so much stuff on each plate. how are we supposed to know all this?

how do you guys study for anatomy? please, share!

Members don't see this ad.

CU, how many times have I told you NOT to study for anatomy!! Netter's not going to do much on its own.. you'd need a clinical anatomy text book to guide studying (though I told you the most important stuff before on email). If you want my UCSF syllabus info to guide you, let me know. Talk to you later...
B

If you really feel the need to study anatomy during your summer befor emed school, you could get the BRS anatomy book and read that and do the questions at the end of every chapter. The only way that you reallyl learn anatomy is by doing. Doing can be fideling with the cadaver in the lab, drawing diagrams for how things are organized, or answering questions from a book or just quizing yourself as you go along. And yes, you do need to know practically every structure's name in netter for your anatomy class.

Members don't see this ad :)
That is exactly why we tell you not to study anatomy prior to starting med school. WAIT til you start the class.

In the class, you will be introduced to it bit by bit, and as you do the dissections, section by section, it will make sense.

Once you are in the class, I highly recommend using drawings as a study tool. Example..be able to draw the brachial plexus, and then extend each nerve all the way down, noting not only the muscles that each innervates, but the structures that it passes by as landmarks (eg it may go under a particular blood vessel). The relationships of the structures to one another are very important, especially for exam purposes. Exam questions tend to ask things like.. a person sustains an injury to a particular area, which structure is most likely to be injured? Also, for the lab practicals, you'll identify the structure much more easily by noting the landmarks around it and it's relationships to them rather than just try to recognize it.

Again...DON'T TRY TO STUDY for med school now. PUT NETTER AWAY. Nearly every course in medical school is overwhelming when you look at the sheer volume. Wait til you get there and it is broken down for you. Otherwise you will get yourself all psyched out (as you have already). Anything you learn over the summer will only be a very small tidbit compared to what you will learn once you start.

You will wind up developing your skills in absorbing an amazing amount of material in a very short period of time.

So RELAX for now. Med school is stressful enough. Don't start stressing now.

listen to MD03. that advice is wise.

Go buy BRS physio and study that. I've been doing that a lot lately and I feel the returns are huge. [Brag] I just took the first test after reading the book twice, and got them all right [/Brag]

But seriously, I think that would help you more than any anatomy studying.

Please, please, enjoy your summer! Stop studying! I seriously do not think it will help you much.

However, when you do start school and are studying anatomy, I found that the Netter CD-ROM was a great study tool. you can make your own tests and for me it was easier to study that way than staring at a picture.

How am I preping for anatomy this summer? Dude, I've just started planing a road trip out to Colorado with some of my best friends. I can't wait! (I can wait for med school; August will be here before I know it [as always]!)

Thanks everyone for your inputs.

The reason I've been trying to study anatomy, is not that I want to get ahead of my class but rather I just want to survive my first year. i think i'll just relax and hope everything goes well in the fall.

There is still time left to salvage your summer. Drop the Netter's and slowly back away! Pre-anticipatory anatomy jitters are much worse than the actual course. You will do fine.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by C U in MD school:
•Thanks everyone for your inputs.

The reason I've been trying to study anatomy, is not that I want to get ahead of my class but rather I just want to survive my first year. i think i'll just relax and hope everything goes well in the fall.•••••Good call. You'll survive. Anatomy is not as hard as people make it out to be. A lot of learning anatomy is learning how to dissect. There's no way to learn that from a book.

As I review gross anatomy and embryo. for my USMLE Step 1 coming up in a few weeks, I realize how much I have forgotten...Some of it comes back quickly, and some information I have to relearn. I find myself particularly invested in relearning neuroanatomy. My point is Anatomy knowledge retention is by its nature a short term memory thing and I wouldn't sweat it by "preparing for it"...I would, however, prepare for each lecture, small group conference, and dissection session prior to that session during the school year. Now that, as well as reviewing the material you just learned after class while it's still fresh in your head, will go much farther than preparing for the course before it has started. If you "really" have to prepare now, then I would recommend memorizing the names of bones (esp. in skull and hands and feet), nerves, and major muscle groups. Otherwise relax, like everyone else has said you'll do fine. As long as you go to class and to each dissection, the rest will just automatically come together.

Good Luck!!!! :cool:

Hi

If you must read anatomy over the summer then I'd also recommend a concise clinical book like <a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0683061283/dissectionroo-20" target="_blank">Mini Moore</a>.

You might find dissectionroom.com interesting for upper limb and vertebral column anatomy (gratuitous plug :wink: ).

Recently been looking at some great <a href="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1902470303/dissectionroo-20" target="_blank">CD-ROMs from primal pictures</a> but they are a little bit pricey.

Good luck

Chris