Please someone teach me how to be efficient and get in as much studying as I can

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alysp13751

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just started classes again after a long hiatus in my studies. bcos of that, Im not used to studying, I have classes all thorugh out the day with 3 or 4 h breaks in between class sometimes and having to go to different buildings. What are some of the things you do to make the most out of any time you have? Im doing very basic stuff, biochem, gross anatomy, embryo and histology and some byophis. Lets hear some ideas plz

Members don't see this ad.

I just started classes again after a long hiatus in my studies. bcos of that, Im not used to studying, I have classes all thorugh out the day with 3 or 4 h breaks in between class sometimes and having to go to different buildings. What are some of the things you do to make the most out of any time you have? Im doing very basic stuff, biochem, gross anatomy, embryo and histology and some byophis. Lets hear some ideas plz

All I could see at first was "Please someone teach me how..."

I got excited because I was sure it said "...to dougie"

Damn

Damn

and I got excited when I saw I had a response because I was sure it said something helpful!

Members don't see this ad :)

Damn

LOL, I was thinking the same thing. I was even going to make that same comment.

To the OP this may or may not be helpful. I started timing myself using a stopwatch ( I saw it on that doctors' diaries show ). Basically, you stop the timer everytime you eat, go to the bathroom, surf the web ect. For me it really opened my eyes to how little work I was doing. For you you probably already get that part but after I realized that I try to get better and take less non work related breaks and beat my time for the day. By doing this I was able to spend more of my dedicated work time towards actually doing the work. It becomes sort of a competition to best your own time.

I also have a hard time retaining things. Mostly because I goof off while studying ( stopwatch helps ) But I also had to really understand what my needs were in terms of grasping the material. For me that was see one, do one, teach one. For example, going to class is your first chance to try to understand the material. Next is the work that you put in on your own time to try to "translate" if you will what you learned in class into something you understand. Finally if you can teach someone the material (study buddy, spouse, dog) then you know it well. In order to do that though you need to figure out how you study best. Again for me I have to physically write it down, I can just hear it or read it, I have to write it to learn it. Weird but it took me a while to figure that out. Maybe you are more auditory and taping the lectures is good for you. Perhaps you are more visual and need to read on your own time.

In conclusion ;), figure out how you learn the material best, use a stop watch, and see one, do one, teach one.

That's all I got.

To the OP this may or may not be helpful. I started timing myself using a stopwatch ( I saw it on that doctors' diaries show ). Basically, you stop the timer everytime you eat, go to the bathroom, surf the web ect. For me it really opened my eyes to how little work I was doing. For you you probably already get that part but after I realized that I try to get better and take less non work related breaks and beat my time for the day. By doing this I was able to spend more of my dedicated work time towards actually doing the work. It becomes sort of a competition to best your own time.

I also have a hard time retaining things. Mostly because I goof off while studying ( stopwatch helps ) But I also had to really understand what my needs were in terms of grasping the material. For me that was see one, do one, teach one. For example, going to class is your first chance to try to understand the material. Next is the work that you put in on your own time to try to "translate" if you will what you learned in class into something you understand. Finally if you can teach someone the material (study buddy, spouse, dog) then you know it well. In order to do that though you need to figure out how you study best. Again for me I have to physically write it down, I can just hear it or read it, I have to write it to learn it. Weird but it took me a while to figure that out. Maybe you are more auditory and taping the lectures is good for you. Perhaps you are more visual and need to read on your own time.

In conclusion ;), figure out how you learn the material best, use a stop watch, and see one, do one, teach one.

That's all I got.

Good stuff! :thumbup: Thanks!

That's all I got.

im def going to try out the stop watch thingy, ill tell u how it goes. Where did you buy it though? sports shop?

look into the program at gunnertraining.com. It helps with remembering stuff. I'm not sure how familiar you are with what they offer, but each day there are quiz questions to answer that help you review stuff you have learned. It's nice because if I just have a free 1o minutes, I can pound out 15-20 questions right there. In addition, it's a nice change of pace from reading a textbook or drawing figures multiple times, so it's kind of like taking a break but still getting stuff done.

im def going to try out the stop watch thingy, ill tell u how it goes. Where did you buy it though? sports shop?

Honestly, I searched "stopwatch" on the web and just use one of the websites. Also I use my phone when I don't have internet access.

Efficiency and getting as much studying as you can are two different things. Learning needs rest periods and studying while tired is not very efficient. A lot has to do with stress management, good sleep, exercise and diet. 15 minutes of meditation or a short nap right after studying can, for some reason, help your brain memorise. Go figure. So, work hard, play hard, rest hard and stay away from drugs and alcohol.

Efficiency and getting as much studying as you can are two different things. Learning needs rest periods and studying while tired is not very efficient. A lot has to do with stress management, good sleep, exercise and diet. 15 minutes of meditation or a short nap right after studying can, for some reason, help your brain memorise. Go figure. So, work hard, play hard, rest hard and stay away from drugs and alcohol.

Good all around advice.

Studying gets so much better when you learn how hard you can push yourself and how to relax in between study sessions. I don't know if this really applies to the OP but exercise made a huge difference for me as well. I used to think there was no time for anything but if you're physically and mentally balanced you can absorb more and your studying is more efficient.

is to plan to learn a certain amount in your study session rather than plan to study for a certain number of hours. I made this switch in the transition from undergrad courses to med school and it makes a huge difference because drifting doesn't pay off.

Incidentally, in med school my study skills improved immensely while my study *habits* fell to pieces. Something to think about.

thanks for some of the tips, it really helps. I get a bit frustrated about having so many classes and so sparse during the day