please start med school single!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frenchy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why is everyone in med school in a relationship already? Come on people you are still young!! Wait till you're 30 to commit yourself! And I thought I could hook up once in med school but 80% of the class is in a serious relationship. It limits my choices man!

Advice: Break up before you start med school!

PS: For you sexy 2nd yr watch out for the new girl coming in this Fall! I'll be lookin for ya!

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, it was like that when I started med school too. Most peole were in relationships, were engaged or married. All the good ones were taken, anyway. :)

I wonder what's up with that. People probably figure once they start medical school, they won't have time to look for anyone else. They think that committing to a serious relationship will shield them from being lonely. They probably also think that serious relationships will be an easy way to "get some" without too much effort. I say, you are seriously limiting your options if you believe that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think thats a rather incorrect generalization. Some people might be staying in a serious relationship for those reasons alone, but probably not most people.

I know I'm staying with my guy because I haven't yet met another guy who I could see myself being with for the long term. My guy is sweet, smart, cute and willing to move around with me! Plus, he likes cute fuzzy animals. What more could I ask for?

Sure, I'm only 22. I realize thats young and we're not going to get married anytime in the near future because its possible we might meet a person better for us. But why throw away an awesome relationship for maybe's and what if's that quite possible will never happen?

xylemera said:
I wonder what's up with that. People probably figure once they start medical school, they won't have time to look for anyone else. They think that committing to a serious relationship will shield them from being lonely. They probably also think that serious relationships will be an easy way to "get some" without too much effort. I say, you are seriously limiting your options if you believe that.
"what's up with it" is that some of have just found the right people. You make it sound as if people "put up with" serious relationships so they're not loney and can get some. These are actually part of serious relationship, not just reasons to stick it out. I didn't get engaged before med school because I was about to go to med school. I got engaged because he was the guy I was going to (and did) marry and it was the natural progression to our relationship.

Frenchy: Best of luck, but who wants to marry a doctor? I do suppose you didn't say anything about marry, though..... ;)

A couple in my med school class met over their cadaver and are now engaged. They are extremely cute.

jmwalker said:
A couple in my med school class met over their cadaver and are now engaged. They are extremely cute.

:laugh: :laugh:

Good story for their grandkids....

How about because we're 23-24 years old and know what values and priorities work for us? That enough reason for you?

I think most people have the mentality that if you're not engaged or already married by the time you're out of college then there's something seriously wrong with you. I call it the sorority complex.

In my class, during first year, about 10 people were married. Now, nearing the end of third year, it's about 30 (including a few intra-class couples who met during first year). By the end of this summer, it'll be approaching 50...and that's only that I know about. I think it's just that the age of med students is similar to the average age of marriage in the population, resulting in lots of new unions.

That being said, I've been single for all of med school, as I don't go out much (due to studying...all our tests are on Mondays), and none of my classmates have ever bothered to ask me out. :confused: :rolleyes: Though I don't know if I would want to date a classmate anyhow...med school can be very gossipy and high school-ish about such things. I agree with Blade though....all the good ones are taken!

I don't know if I agree that all the good ones are taken. I know lots of good guys who aren't married. Which of course begs the question, why am I not dating them? I don't have a good answer for that, but I think it's some combination of lack of time, recognition of some fundamental incompatibilities, not wanting to settle, and the fact that I have absolutely no patience for men who are hamstrung by their insecurities. Probably mostly the latter. There's a key to dealing with me that no guy has yet figured out, and after many attempts to help various guys do so, I've decided it's something that can't be taught. So I'll just be pleasantly surprised someday when I meet a guy who gets it. And anyway, I like having guy friends that I'm not romantically interested in--except when they start trying to explain physiology in engineering jargon. That just makes my brain hurt. :scared:

jmwalker said:

Well, I hope they invite the cadaver to the wedding. I mean, that's the LEAST they can do. ;)

Haha, at least they have an interesting story to tell people how they met for the rest of their lives. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Gleevec, man your avatar really makes me want to go out and buy the Family Guy DVD's, such a great show. :thumbup:

Smurfette said:
In my class, during first year, about 10 people were married. Now, nearing the end of third year, it's about 30 (including a few intra-class couples who met during first year). By the end of this summer, it'll be approaching 50...and that's only that I know about. I think it's just that the age of med students is similar to the average age of marriage in the population, resulting in lots of new unions.

That being said, I've been single for all of med school, as I don't go out much (due to studying...all our tests are on Mondays), and none of my classmates have ever bothered to ask me out. :confused: :rolleyes: Though I don't know if I would want to date a classmate anyhow...med school can be very gossipy and high school-ish about such things. I agree with Blade though....all the good ones are taken!

Yeah, I think we have a similar situation at our school. Our classes are much smaller (around 60 people), but I think a similar percentage are engaged/married. Seems like every few months starting from the summer after first year, people were getting married (to non-med school people). Weddings during the spring, the summer, etc. We had around 10 intraclass couples (that's 20 people total, about a third of our class!) eventually hook up in first year, though I think only 1-2 remain. One couple already are engaged and have set their wedding date, though. :thumbup:

Blade28 said:
Yeah, I think we have a similar situation at our school. Our classes are much smaller (around 60 people), but I think a similar percentage are engaged/married. Seems like every few months starting from the summer after first year, people were getting married (to non-med school people). Weddings during the spring, the summer, etc. We had around 10 intraclass couples (that's 20 people total, about a third of our class!) eventually hook up in first year, though I think only 1-2 remain. One couple already are engaged and have set their wedding date, though. :thumbup:

That's a HUGE percentage! We don't have anywhere near that many couples at this point--at least, not that have gone public. Then again, I am always the last grape on the vine...

Smurfette said:

awwwww don't worry cutie...i will date you.... :) :cool:

Samoa said:
I don't know if I agree that all the good ones are taken. I know lots of good guys who aren't married. Which of course begs the question, why am I not dating them? I don't have a good answer for that, but I think it's some combination of lack of time, recognition of some fundamental incompatibilities, not wanting to settle, and the fact that I have absolutely no patience for men who are hamstrung by their insecurities. Probably mostly the latter. There's a key to dealing with me that no guy has yet figured out, and after many attempts to help various guys do so, I've decided it's something that can't be taught. So I'll just be pleasantly surprised someday when I meet a guy who gets it. And anyway, I like having guy friends that I'm not romantically interested in--except when they start trying to explain physiology in engineering jargon. That just makes my brain hurt. :scared:

hon, the good ones that aren't married are prolly ghey hon....let it go...if pamela couldn't change them...I don't think another knockout like you can :)

ugh....here I am thinking I will be going to med school and meeting my future hubby (hence holding out on dates thinking ahh I'll be moving anyway and probably wanting to meet guys in med school). Well I guess that is pretty much out the door. It seems from all I've heard from yall that nothing ever successfully lasts among fellow med students......this sux!! :mad: :rolleyes: :smuggrin:

It depends on the size of the class, definitely, but I've always thought that classmatecest is a bad idea. We've only got 52 in our class, and we have to spend at least 4 years with these people... man, and I thought dormcest or teamcest was bad. :scared: It's really not worth potentially ruining your relationship with your classmates, in my opinion... unless you're going to a ginormous school with 700 per class or something.

rjhtamu said:
I think most people have the mentality that if you're not engaged or already married by the time you're out of college then there's something seriously wrong with you. I call it the sorority complex.
its more of a regional thing. I swear it isn't like this everywhere else in the country.

Carbon said:
It depends on the size of the class, definitely, but I've always thought that classmatecest is a bad idea. We've only got 52 in our class, and we have to spend at least 4 years with these people... man, and I thought dormcest or teamcest was bad. :scared: It's really not worth potentially ruining your relationship with your classmates, in my opinion... unless you're going to a ginormous school with 700 per class or something.

Well the school I am going to is 200 per class.....but what about dating students from other classes, not your own but for example, upperclassmen!??

Carbon said:

if u wants babe, u can date me luv....see I'm all dressed up and nice for you to pick me ;) :luck:

::Seabass:: said:
its more of a regional thing. I swear it isn't like this everywhere else in the country.

agreed. my impression is that this is a more southern/texan phenomenon. in the coastal cities where i have spent most of my time, people think you're crazy and doomed for getting married under age 25. whereas a good friend of mine grew up in texas, and when she goes back to visit, people consider her an old maid b/c she is 25 and still not married.

I'm single and starting med school.

exgatr said:
I'm single and starting med school.

I am starting med school too and I am happily single!! Of course, that doesn't mean I ain't wanting that special guy :D I just can't find him yet. :rolleyes:

DrWuStar said:
my impression is that this is a more southern/texan phenomenon.

this is pretty likely. I'm finishing undergrad in Tx, and my friends are dropping like flies! Not that getting married young is a bad thing, it just not for me, even though I've been dating my guy longer than these girls that are getting married. What gives? :rolleyes:

Well, I'll definately be starting medschool single :cool: :scared: I had hoped to date some in medschool, but I guess this thread is bringin me down to Earth. Still, I suppose I could be one of the few who do, at least I'll be going to one of the larger (200+) schools.

Not just Texas, for the early marriage thing. Fully 75% of UK's second year class is MARRIED (not just dating)! :scared: That was an important factor in my decision not to go there. Not just cause there'd be no one to date, but I'm thinking that those people's whole social lives will be really focused around their families, so they won't have much time for hanging out.

I'm not banking on meeting my future hubby in medschool, but it would be nice. I'm already an old maid by KY standards for sure. :laugh:

special guy? that's an oxymoron right? 90% of guys a pr*cks... and an equal percentage of girls are also pretty disgusting (personality, not looks - that's another issue altogether). i'd say that between personality and religious difference, 95% of the opposite-gender population is undatable. to think a higher percentage of datable people will be found in med school doesn't really make sense.

to steal a phrase from seinfeld, it's a wonder people are ever getting together to breed... thankfully there's alcohol, nature's sexual catalyst.

Disenchanted 1 said:
wanting that special guy

mlw03 said:
special guy? that's an oxymoron right? 90% of guys a pr*cks... and an equal percentage of girls are also pretty disgusting (personality, not looks - that's another issue altogether). i'd say that between personality and religious difference, 95% of the opposite-gender population is undatable. to think a higher percentage of datable people will be found in med school doesn't really make sense.

to steal a phrase from seinfeld, it's a wonder people are ever getting together to breed... thankfully there's alcohol, nature's sexual catalyst.

Are you a guy or a chick? Either way, i sense some baggage...

rjhtamu said:

Maybe their complex is resolved when they contribute to the >50% divorce rate :p

I'm respectfully disagreeing with all who think classmates are a poor dating option - I met my fiance over a cadaver as well & we are getting married in December. :love:

(of course, if you just want to randomly hook-up with someone, you might want to steer clear of classmates, that could lead to some awkward situations down the line.) :eek:

Disenchanted 1 said:
I am starting med school too and I am happily single!! Of course, that doesn't mean I ain't wanting that special guy :D I just can't find him yet. :rolleyes:

How YOU doin'? ;)

Yeah, dating is tough in med school. Not sure what the prospects are in residency, though...

What a cool thread :) My husband and I met in grad school (we worked for 6 years before med school, so we really don't count as far as the young'ns go). When I got out of college (nope, no sorority) I did have the feeling that it was 'about that time' and was dating a guy when I started grad school at 21. I got married at 25 and now look back and thing SHEESH - I was YOUNG even though then I felt old. I found myself looking for a significant other, not out of loneliness, really, but just because it was the thing to do. Oddly enough, the 'one' just took me by surprise :D Just show up for your day & see what happens!

mlw03 said:
90% of guys a pr*cks... and an equal percentage of girls are also pretty disgusting (personality, not looks - that's another issue altogether). i'd say that between personality and religious difference, 95% of the opposite-gender population is undatable.

Agreed!!

Long-term....personality is such a HUGE issue...caring, genuine, and cultured inidviduals are difficult to find! :)

-Harps

mlw03 said:

If you have that much hostility towards members of the opposite sex, it's no wonder if you have trouble finding people to date.

I had a very difficult situation before I started med school. I met my ex-girlfriend after I just graduated UCLA and she was still a junior. We instantly hit it off but I was to move to Philly four months later for grad school. But I told her she was my girl and I wanted it to work even with the impending distance, she didn't believe me but I kept my end and made it work. Needless to say we spent quite a lot on plane tickets and phone bills for the next two years while I was getting my masters. Then about that time we both applied to medical school. Well she was a superior candidate than me and got acceptances and scholarship money to go to a California school while I got accepted to 3 high priced eastcoast schools. I wound up at Howard in DC and she did get into GW but I told her the extra 30K a year saved by going to school in Cali was worth us waiting another four years to be together. Again we visited each other a lot during our first year in med school. Well starting the summer before 2nd year things started getting really bad between us. And after I went back to DC for school she started to cheat on me but kept on talking to me on the phone like nothing had changed.

Well that's my long story. The moral is medicine is a hard and long road. The most successful relationships I've seen that started before med school is between the student and a supportive husband or wife. Two very ambitious people both going for medicine at the same time wind up having their goals clash. So while in pre-med don't plan on keeping your college girl who is also a pre-med unless by some miracle you both get accepted into the same medical school you both want to go to.

xylemera said:

Yes, obviously that's the only reason people have for being in a serious relationship. Or maybe they're in love and have found the right person.

There's nothing wrong with not being in a relationship. There's also nothing wrong with being in one. I love my fiance (and soon-to-be-husband) and I wouldn't trade what we've got for anything in the world.

ATC2MD said:
What a cool thread :) My husband and I met in grad school (we worked for 6 years before med school, so we really don't count as far as the young'ns go). When I got out of college (nope, no sorority) I did have the feeling that it was 'about that time' and was dating a guy when I started grad school at 21. I got married at 25 and now look back and thing SHEESH - I was YOUNG even though then I felt old. I found myself looking for a significant other, not out of loneliness, really, but just because it was the thing to do. Oddly enough, the 'one' just took me by surprise :D Just show up for your day & see what happens!

Awesome!

I have a question: Approximately what percentage of MCO's student body is married and/or has family? And what support services are available? Thanks, I'm looking to start a family in Medical school, probably around the time I start my PhD Year 3 of medical school; if all goes as planned. We've been together for seven years now and will be getting married next summer 2005.

Potlucks, meetings, seminars, family network, handing off kids for a day for *alone* time with the spouse.

Thanks in advance,

-Tom

I think it'll be probably be great in regards to med students if one was say a 1st yr and other one was a 4th yr, cause the 4th yr will have been there, and will be able to provide adequate emotional support for the 1st yr, plus the 4th yr wont be as stressed.