Please stop this MD vsDO nonsense! It is pointless and not to mention degrading!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medschool08

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I cannot believe that everytime I visit the DO threads, there is something either about DO degree change or the MD vs DO issues. I understand the worries that some of you may have about the degree, but the fact that there is always someone arguing for the degree change or that they wish they were MD has become kind of degrading and honestly disrespectful to those people who are just glad that they got in med school somewhere!

I am going to the DO school and these threads have made me doubt myself and my decision a few times due to the overwhelming negative energy in the threads. But, I realized that if you really want to be the doctor for the right reasons, then it shouldn't matter if you have DO or MD written on your white coat. ( Of course, if you want to get into competitive specialities such as dermatology, then I would understand being a little concerned about getting the DO degree).

But, come on people. Grow up, have some confidence in yourselves because you will need A LOT of it in the future!! Be proud of your accomplishments and your future degree. In case you guys haven't realized this, it is mostly the pre-meds and some first year med students that still have some issues with the DO degree. Out in the real world in the hospital, no one has time to deal with such useless and pointless issues. SO, it is in the hands of us pre-meds and med students to change our attitude about our Degree.
After all, don't we all want to go into medicine to help people and make a difference in the world? Are all those essays we wrote in our personal statements and med school applications truly our inspirations or just an act to get in?

SO, please for the love of God, please stop all this degree change nonsense and let's start having a more positive attitude toward our future medical degree. We are going to be DOCTORS and that's all that matters. POSITIVITY is the key to our DO degree being more recognized by people and this can only start with us: the PRE-MEDS and MED-STUDENTS!

I will be most probably leaving the SDN and moving on to more important things in life such as med school and learning how to become a physician!

Hopefully, the next time I visit this thread, it will have a more positive energy to it. Maybe you guys can start a thread about some of the medical health care issues such as: potential drugs for certain diseases such as cancers, new vaccines and other health care related problems!!

Members don't see this ad.

I get your point. But you just started the very kind of thread you hate

Members don't see this ad :)
You I get sick of seeing it myself, but you have idiots in the world and as long as they are alive and kicking we will always have this ******ed debate between the two degrees. I am applying DO and if accepted will most definitely not change my initials at the end of my name.:D:D

DOs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OOHhh OOOT!!! (in honor of the fallen 300!!!!!!:D Gerad Bulter is SOOOO hot LOL)...ok ok DOs UNITE!!!!!

I realize that, but no one else had the guts to say what needed to be said about these threads! However, I also encourage people to not complain about their degree, but instead teach others about it and post some medically related issues such as the increasing occurence of chronic diseases in USA. I for one would like to discuss some of the cancer vaccines that have been coming out with some of the pre-meds or even med students. Where is our passion for medicine and knowledge?

Anyways, I was hoping that people would read this thread and take in some of my ideas without posting any opposing or non-opposing arguements. if you don't agree with this, that's fine. But, do we always need to have these long and exhausting arguements for each post? Can't we just leave this thread as it is- which is a new and more positive way of thinking about D.O degree?

The only way we can promote our degree is by changing our own view of it! From then on, it is easy to teach others about it and spread the positive energy with the rest of the world!!

I totally feel the same way as you. I mean how dare this self absorb people have the audacity to try and change osteopathic medicine because they were MD-rejects. That's all it is and will ever be. It's sad because the majority of us respect and appreciate the degree. :D

I cannot believe that everytime I visit the DO threads, there is something either about DO degree change or the MD vs DO issues. I understand the worries that some of you may have about the degree, but the fact that there is always someone arguing for the degree change or that they wish they were MD has become kind of degrading and honestly disrespectful to those people who are just glad that they got in med school somewhere!

I am going to the DO school and these threads have made me doubt myself and my decision a few times due to the overwhelming negative energy in the threads. But, I realized that if you really want to be the doctor for the right reasons, then it shouldn't matter if you have DO or MD written on your white coat. ( Of course, if you want to get into competitive specialities such as dermatology, then I would understand being a little concerned about getting the DO degree).

But, come on people. Grow up, have some confidence in yourselves because you will need A LOT of it in the future!! Be proud of your accomplishments and your future degree. In case you guys haven't realized this, it is mostly the pre-meds and some first year med students that still have some issues with the DO degree. Out in the real world in the hospital, no one has time to deal with such useless and pointless issues. SO, it is in the hands of us pre-meds and med students to change our attitude about our Degree.
After all, don't we all want to go into medicine to help people and make a difference in the world? Are all those essays we wrote in our personal statements and med school applications truly our inspirations or just an act to get in?

SO, please for the love of God, please stop all this degree change nonsense and let's start having a more positive attitude toward our future medical degree. We are going to be DOCTORS and that's all that matters. POSITIVITY is the key to our DO degree being more recognized by people and this can only start with us: the PRE-MEDS and MED-STUDENTS!

I will be most probably leaving the SDN and moving on to more important things in life such as med school and learning how to become a physician!

Hopefully, the next time I visit this thread, it will have a more positive energy to it. Maybe you guys can start a thread about some of the medical health care issues such as: potential drugs for certain diseases such as cancers, new vaccines and other health care related problems!!

:thumbup: AMEN!