Please stop!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

big daddy 2004

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
+pity+

I wish I could explain why but this posting of grades and scores and then asking what are my chances is on my nerves. There are many publications available with the average GPAs and MCATs. These are a good metric for comparison.

More importantly, people need to asks themselves, will I be a good doctor? Do I want to be a physician? Am I commiteded to this ten plus year marathon? If your answer is yes, then absolutely apply regardless of your stats.

If you do not believe that you are capable of becoming a great doctor, then why should a member of any ad com believe in your application?

Please don't apply based on whether or not you will get in. This attitude defeats the purpose of the degree.

Good luck to this year's applicants. Godspeed.

Members don't see this ad.

I sympathize with SDN newbies who are nervous about admissions. Indeed they have reason to be nervous because it's very competitive in general. But look at it this way newbies:

1. if you're asking whether you should apply because of XYZ stats, it's like what the OP said. Ask instead whether you've done the best you can to prepare yourself as a future physician. Have you shown the academic performance that you're capable of and that will be demanded of you in the future? Or are you just doing enough to get by? If the latter then do NOT go to medical school-- at least not now. You won't make it with that attitude.

2. If you HAVE done the best you can, then by all means apply! Someone out there will recognize your effort and potential contribution to the field.

3. If you've already made up your mind to apply, then asking "what are my chances" is pretty pointless, don't ya think?

my $.02,
sunflower79 :)

I think they should post whatever they want.

Having said that, it would be nice if people READ a couple of threads first...I mean, maybe someones GPA is 0.1 different to poster Y but really we know as much about them as anyone else so our answers are likely to be the same...

thus, by reading a couple of pages first you'll find far more advice relevant to your own situation AND will then end up posting perhaps more pertinent questions....

Members don't see this ad :)
hey i didn't want to start a new thread so i'll post here, ok?

i have a 3.7 gpa, ~30 mcat, state school - what schools should I apply to? Would I have a good chance at any top 20 schools? Any advice appreciated.

btw is times new roman too racy for secondary essays?

Originally posted by carrigallen
hey i didn't want to start a new thread so i'll post here, ok?

i have a 3.7 gpa, ~30 mcat, state school - what schools should I apply to? Would I have a good chance at any top 20 schools? Any advice appreciated.

Jefferson Medical College, Class of 2007

Well, I hear Jefferson lets in just about anyone.... :laugh: ;)

Originally posted by tBw
Well, I hear Jefferson lets in just about anyone.... :laugh: ;)

yep...!

here's the latest MSAR...

applicants: 10,000
interviews held: 5,000
interviews declined: 5,000
withdraws: 2,500
acceptances: 2,500
acceptances refused: 2,300
matriculants: 200

Originally posted by carrigallen
yep...!

here's the latest MSAR...

applicants: 10,000
interviews held: 5,000
interviews declined: 5,000
withdraws: 2,500
acceptances: 2,500
acceptances refused: 2,300
matriculants: 200

whhaaaaaaaaaaatttt????? those arent really the stats are they?

Originally posted by sinfin
:laugh: check out the NAY (no acceptances yet) thread. they are definitely not the stats. ;) if they were, they would've received an application from me...

Originally posted by sinfin

...in other news, did you just hear that they took the word 'gullible' out of the dictionary? ;)

Hey this a great forum, I wish I had found it earlier.

I need some help guys, thanks in advance....

I have a 37S, but my GPA is only a 3.8...I know, horrible...but i TOTALLY bombed freshman orgo, I was like, so not into that class. Anyway, should I even bother applying this year, or should I do like one of those masters programs, or maybe just apply to like St. Georges or Ross or something? Thanks for any advice you might have!

here's a thought... if you're tired of pre-allo and newbies begging for advice then maybe you need to move on to allo!:) The cycle continues with new students...whether or not the vets are in the mood to answer the same old questions.

Originally posted by Maple
here's a thought... if you're tired of pre-allo and newbies begging for advice then maybe you need to move on to allo!:) The cycle continues with new students...whether or not the vets are in the mood to answer the same old questions.

Excellent point Maple... I know it can be a little tedious to see the same old questions, but i guess that just means we've moved on to the next phase...

Think about how the MS4's must feel when we go into allo asking things like--- how do I get AOA? , or what do residency program directors look for? You don't have to read, or respond to threads you don't want to...remember your empathy kids;) :p ;)

Peace ~Doc

hey I have a 4.9( on a 4.0 scale) and a 44 mcat score, I discovered the cure for genital herpes and saved several refugees in the war in Iraq. Should I even try this year to apply for school or should I take a year off and try a postbacc and pay the adcoms.

Please what should I do.

What did the sign on the whorehouse say?

We're closed... BEAT IT!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Sometimes I just make myself laugh so hard...

BTW, Times New Roman is way to risque for a secondary. Anyone think ADCOMS know about the ARIAL conspiracy?

Hey, I to have a question, I have a 9 on the mcat (v2 p2 b5) I was a biology major. I was arrested and convicted for armed robbery and attempted murder. I also graduated in 7 years to get my b.s. it took alot of concentration and time because I had no job and nthing really happened to set my life back. I hate sick people but like money. So I occasionally sling a little rock on the streets. i brought my gpa up from a 0.9 to a 1.8, thats 100% I think, I am currently applying to UCLA, Hopkins, Wash U and Yale, are there any other schools I should consider.

-0-

This is what I have to deal with in medical school? People are trying way too hard to be funny on this thread...it shows.

Late

Now I know why adcoms look favorable on nontrads.

this thread makes me feel like i graduated from KG again

Originally posted by dcpark74
This is what I have to deal with in medical school? People are trying way too hard to be funny on this thread...it shows.

Late

Now I know why adcoms look favorable on nontrads.

LOL... when you've suffered through a year of med school or two and your favorite chair has a new indentation exactly mirroring your gluteus maximus, you'll find it funny too. All in due time, my friends... all in due time.