Please suggest schools that I have a chances at

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

woodhorse22

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My GPA is a 3.96 and MCAt score is 25. I don't plan to retake the MCAT and I am applying this June.

Out of the 20 DO schools, the following look good to me, but please add any where I would have a chance:

1. Kansas City: unfortunately they won't take my community college credit
2. Michigan State
3. CCOM
4. Nova Southeastern
5. Ohio State
6. PCOM- they won't take my CC credit either
7. U. of New Jersey
8. VCOm

please add

Members don't see this ad.

Apply to NYCOM you can be accepted with that score with that GPA. If you are instate by any of the DO schools you should have a good shot for them as well. Also apply to your local state MD school. Again many schools have lower standards for instate students.

Yeah you should add where you live, because that would help out a lot more to answer your question.

NYCOM you almost have to be in NY or I think NJ or Conn from what I have seen. I was in Philadelphia and never heard back from NYCOM and had a higher MCAT but worse gpa.

Members don't see this ad :)
I definitely wouldn't waste my money trying to get into Ohio State. You may have a shot at Ohio University.

please add

PCOM will take your CC credit just like virtually every other med school (except some allopathic -BU, Vanderbuilt) And even those schools accept CC credit if you transfered to another undergrad school after attending

My GPA is a 3.96 and MCAt score is 25. I don't plan to retake the MCAT and I am applying this June.

Out of the 20 DO schools, the following look good to me, but please add any where I would have a chance:

2. Michigan State
3. CCOM
4. Nova Southeastern
5. Ohio State
7. U. of New Jersey
8. VCOm

please add

you definitely have a chance at all those schools, if you want to get accepted somewhere and don't care where, you should add LECOM (both), WVSOM, maybe PCSOM, and all the Touro's.

2. Michigan State
3. CCOM
4. Nova Southeastern
5. Ohio State
7. U. of New Jersey
8. VCOm

please add

If you bumped your MCAT score up by about 3-5 points, you'd have a good shot at a lot of the allo schools as well. I'm not saying you should do that if you want to go DO, but it would open up a lot more (and likely cheaper) options.

OP with your GPA, you should retake the MCAT imo

It depends on how that 25 MCAT is distributed, too.

8, 9, 8 = good
4, 11, 10 = bad, pretty much anywhere.

Don't bother w/LECOM unless you will have a DO LOR (I had to withdraw after initially applying) - that holds true for a bunch of others - you need to know where.

It depends on how that 25 MCAT is distributed, too.

8, 9, 8 = good
4, 11, 10 = bad, pretty much anywhere.

Don't bother w/LECOM unless you will have a DO LOR (I had to withdraw after initially applying) - that holds true for a bunch of others - you need to know where.

And if you can't figure out a way to get a DO LOR you should be publicly flogged... go to the AOA website to find a DO near you!

2. Michigan State
3. CCOM
4. Nova Southeastern
5. Ohio State
7. U. of New Jersey
8. VCOm

please add

Um... I talked with someone at admissions at KCUMB and they said " just be sure to take upper division chemistry and biology courses (aka there biochem and genetics requirements) at a university and everything would be fine"

You have exactly the same stats as I had. You should be able to get into 85% of the school you apply to without any problems assuming you have good ECs.

If i were you, I will retake MCAT this summer while applying for both DO and MD schools.

The reason I didn't retake my MCAT was because I took it only once in August. I felt like I could have done much better. I wish I had one more chance at MCAT, but I am not willing to waste a year.

msucom favors instate a way lot more than out of state, i think they're something like 90% instate and the tuition difference is somewhere like $50,000 out of state to $25,000 instate (approximately) so its something to consider. as long as you apply early, however, you should still have a good chance because you're stats are on par there and they try to fill their class by october.

i'll throw in 2 cents for DCOM. as far as your grades go, awesome job. Your MCAT is adequate to get into most DO schools, so a retake is not going to hurt you (unless you go down like 5 points). I would say apply broadly - 15 schools, visit them, fall in love with one or two and go where you want. How are your EC's? Clinical Experience? Shadowed anyone? You NEED a letter from a DO, and an MD letter never hurts. These are all important. Concerning your upper level classes...how many were taken at a CC? I consider upper level - Orgo, Phys, Physics (kinda sorta), Biochem, Micro, P Chem, etc. (you get the idea...gen chem and intro bio are not on that list). You need a good personal statement, regardless of your stats, and you should be an articulate individual in your interviews. Dont crack under pressure and dont can your answers. Buy a nice set of interview clothes and go impress some people. Best of luck

2. Michigan State
3. CCOM
4. Nova Southeastern
5. Ohio State
7. U. of New Jersey
8. VCOm

please add

You should take a look at DMU, the state schools are tough to get a interview at unless you are of obviously instate.

I'm going to be a senior in the fall and I'm beginning to work on my application. I just got back my April MCAT scores and I'm hoping you might be able to offer some feedback on schools that would be a reasonable bet.

I have a science GPA of 3.2 and an overall GPA of 3.5. My MCAT was 8-PS, 7-BS, and 12-VR with a writing sample score of R. I have lots of clinical experience, science and non-science extracirriculars, and strong letters of recommendations from osteopathic physicians and a variety of professors.

What schools would everyone suggest I check out? PCOM's been a favorite of mine. I haven't checked out many of the others yet. Let me know what you think. Thanks!

mtmedic86, I would recommend the same thing to you as everyone has been saying to the original poster of this thread, actually go and visit the school and get a sense of what it's like there. I had my decision down to my top choice (which I was waitlisted at) and my second that I got into, but after visiting them for the interviews my second choice became my number 1 because I love the area and I think its going to be the better school for what and where I want to practice. As far as your grades, scores, and all the extra stuff you're all right so as long as you apply early (can't stress how important applying early is enough), you should have a good shot at a lot of schools. Best of luck to you in the long and arduous application process - remember there's a light at the end of the tunnel