Please tell me BCPM GPA counts as much as Overall GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cee

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok, as it stands, my overall gpa is about 2.8.. i graduated with a 2.6 gpa in economics.. however, so far my science gpa (BCPM) is about a 3.8 (i'm halfway done with my sciences).. knock on wood, if i finish with above a 3.7 BCPM gpa but my overall gpa is 2.9, will i even be considered? i am hoping that schools will notice that i've changed careers, am rededicated, and have a very late (but spiking) upward trend in my class scores... looking at mdapplicants.com, i dont see a lot of people like me with these type of statistics (high BCPM gpa, low cumulative gpa).. so i'm kinda worried here.. and most of the people with low gpa's are much older than me and have had previous careers for a while (doing something really extravagant, like fighting in iraq or some crap like that).. i graduated in 2003, worked for a year, realized what i wanted to do, then came back to school and volunteered, etc.

i can tell you right now, i am NOT the same student i was before.. for some reason, i'm actually pretty interested in my classes.. i wish i could convey that to admissions people, but my past academic career is still haunting me on a piece of transcript paper.

Members don't see this ad.

chuckcamp said:
ok, as it stands, my overall gpa is about 2.8.. i graduated with a 2.6 gpa in economics.. however, so far my science gpa (BCPM) is about a 3.8 (i'm halfway done with my sciences).. knock on wood, if i finish with above a 3.7 BCPM gpa but my overall gpa is 2.9, will i even be considered? i am hoping that schools will notice that i've changed careers, am rededicated, and have a very late (but spiking) upward trend in my class scores... looking at mdapplicants.com, i dont see a lot of people like me with these type of statistics (high BCPM gpa, low cumulative gpa).. so i'm kinda worried here.. and most of the people with low gpa's are much older than me and have had previous careers for a while (doing something really extravagant, like fighting in iraq or some crap like that).. i graduated in 2003, worked for a year, realized what i wanted to do, then came back to school and volunteered, etc.

i can tell you right now, i am NOT the same student i was before.. for some reason, i'm actually pretty interested in my classes.. i wish i could convey that to admissions people, but my past academic career is still haunting me on a piece of transcript paper.

Osteopathic schools don't have a BCPM gpa. They do however have a "science gpa", but this does not include math at all. Osteopathic schools also only count the last time you took at class. This means that if you got an F freshman year in a course and then you went back and got an A only the A would count in your gpa calculation for Osteopathic schools. If you failed or did very poorly in some classes early on and you know that you can do better in them then I would go back and take some of those classes over if you want to go the Osteopathic route.

Funkdoctor said:
Osteopathic schools don't have a BCPM gpa. They do however have a "science gpa", but this does not include math at all. Osteopathic schools also only count the last time you took at class. This means that if you got an F freshman year in a course and then you went back and got an A only the A would count in your gpa calculation for Osteopathic schools. If you failed or did very poorly in some classes early on and you know that you can do better in them then I would go back and take some of those classes over if you want to go the Osteopathic route.

ok then "science gpa".. ya, i did pretty poorly in some economics classes, but i was hoping to get my overall above a 3.0, but have my "science gpa" outshine it and hopefully do well on the MCAT.. but if i gotta go back and redo all my grades (basically get another econ degree, with all the retakes), it would be a last resort.. man, i hated those classes too

Members don't see this ad :)
For DO schools, i have a question about "science" classes. Do anatomy fall into that? Also I took one classes called science technology and nuclear weapons and also psychopharmacology. Will these be included in my science GPA?

What's a BCPM gpa and whats the BCPM stand for?

I'm pretty sure the "science gpa" includes math courses.

Chuckcamp,

I was out of school for about 8 years when I came back to do my premed prereqs. My gpa was crap. Now I have gotten A's in my last 51 hrs, including all prereqs. I had a D in Oceanography and a C in Environmental Bio from 1993. So, my overall is 2.96 and my science is a 3.67. I applied very very late. I wasn't complete at most schools until mid Feb. I received three interview invites, from which I am waiting to hear back. So, it is possible, but listen when people say to apply early. I got cold feet and wish that I wouldn't have. Had I applied in Aug or Sep, I would know where I was going to be going to school next year.

Good Luck! Schools do take more than just the numbers into consideration; you will be fine!

According to the admissions office of TUCOM-MI science grades are more heavily weighted than other grades. However, DO schools try to consider the entire applicant...not just science grades and MCAT.

KHep said:
Chuckcamp,

I was out of school for about 8 years when I came back to do my premed prereqs. My gpa was crap. Now I have gotten A's in my last 51 hrs, including all prereqs. I had a D in Oceanography and a C in Environmental Bio from 1993. So, my overall is 2.96 and my science is a 3.67. I applied very very late. I wasn't complete at most schools until mid Feb. I received three interview invites, from which I am waiting to hear back. So, it is possible, but listen when people say to apply early. I got cold feet and wish that I wouldn't have. Had I applied in Aug or Sep, I would know where I was going to be going to school next year.

Good Luck! Schools do take more than just the numbers into consideration; you will be fine!

just curious, how did u do on the MCATs (if u dont mind me asking)

chuckcamp said:
just curious, how did u do on the MCATs (if u dont mind me asking)

Not great. But, adequate. I was in the process of finishing up Orgo 2 and Physics 2 when I took it. And I had been sick the month leading up to it cuz I managed to pick something up when I went on a mission to Honduras at the end of Feb. 10V 8B 7P O So, it was the equivalent of the national mean.
If I don't get accepted this time around, I am taking it again in August, but only if I feel really prepared.

OSUdoc08 said:
Wrong.

BCPM is the same for both the AMCAS and AACOMAS.

Math is thus included.

Yes, the newer of duplicated courses are the only ones counted.

Yeah I guess if AACOMAS decided to start using BCPM. Why don't you take the time to read this web page, particularly the last paragraph. Again no disrespect you have been through the process and I haven't but, is this some sort of fake webpage or something?

https://aacomas.aacom.org/html/ins_sess_ac.htm

chuckcamp said:

sorry, but science GPA is a sham. what matters most is your culm GPA. at least at my school thats the way it was