Please thank those who wrote you recommendation letters!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chnobli

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just sent off letters of appreciation to the nice people who took time and wrote me recommendation letters!

I feel that I was accepted to a great school because some people gave me much support!

So, do not forget to write a thank you note to those people who wrote you a rec! I am sure that they really appreciate it and love to hear from you!

Chnobli
:D

Members don't see this ad.

I also sent cards to my interviewers at the school I got into, letting them know I got in and expressing my thanks for their belief in me!

What about gifts for your recommenders? Anyone have any ideas on that?

Members don't see this ad :)
After getting my recommendations, I bought gift baskets for my recommenders. I probably spent a good $30-$40 on each person putting together an ensemble of crackers, cheese, meet, wine, chocolate. I think its a small price to pay considering they are really helping you on the start of your career as a physician. Without them you could not go to medical school is the way I look at it.

How do you know who actually sent in the recommendation. I mean I asked all my profs as I went along, and not sure how many of them actually took their "precious" time to write a few sentences. Should I send to all who I asked and make them feel guilty. Also, when did you send it.. after your acceptance letter or after AMCAS submission? Should we send even if we don't get accepted anywhere.. in the hope they will write again for round 2 :confused:

Wow, nray you went all out! I hope I get to write you a recommendation someday! :wink:

•••quote:•••Originally posted by driven:
•How do you know who actually sent in the recommendation. I mean I asked all my profs as I went along, and not sure how many of them actually took their "precious" time to write a few sentences. Should I send to all who I asked and make them feel guilty. Also, when did you send it.. after your acceptance letter or after AMCAS submission? Should we send even if we don't get accepted anywhere.. in the hope they will write again for round 2 :confused: •••••It is probably best to keep track of exactly which letters of have gone in and when. Not having all your letters in on time can really put you behind in the interview process. Some schools require a specific set of letters (e.g., one from each chemistry, physics, biology) and they will not consider your application complete until they have received all the required letters.

I kept my recommenders up-to-date on how things were going via e-mail throughout the application process. When I finally was accepted I wrote them each a short note that I sent by regular mail thanking them for their help. A fruit basket might be a little overkill but giving them a professional and personal "thank-you" is obligatory.

I sent thank you's as well. Then when I was accepted, I dropped them all an email to let them know what happened. I do know of one person who bought gifts for them. I thought it was kinda weird, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

I sent thank you cards to teh people who I only asked to write on or two letters...The docs who I actually worked with and who I had send in recs for all the schools I bought them a nice bottle of wine...something mid price range that the wine person/dude at the store said was somewhat of a collectors item since it's not always available. That or chocolates. One of my refs had a secretary that I interacted and bugged :) most of the time, so I sent something for her too :)

I sent thank-you cards. Two of the three that wrote me recommendations were nice enough to send me a copy of the letter so that I could read the nice things that they had to say :D . Or maybe it was in case I didn't get in and I needed another letter. :rolleyes: