please - your thoughts on my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ohiohopeful

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an Ohio resident who graduated in May from a small private college in with a cgpa of 3.85 and a scgpa of 3.75. I decided I wanted to be a doctor the summer after my junior yr So, I didn't take O chem 2 until the spring of my senior yr. I took the MCAT twice with the following scores:

June - 24O (7V; 10BS; 7 PS)
August - 26P (9V; 10BS; 7PS)

I've applied to 7 MD schools (mostly instate) and 5 DO schools - I've just finished sending secondaries. I have great EC's with 2 summer research internships and great LOR's. I'm just worried it's too late in the cycle to get interviews with that MCAT score. Just wondering if you all had any advice or thoughts on my chances of getting in or even an interview. I really appreciate anyones input, it really helps hearing from people that are going or have gone through the same thing.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think you're in decent shape for getting DO interviews, where the season isn't as "late" as it is for MD schools. MD interviews are more iffy, but Wright and NEUCOM, at least, are possible if your ECs are really strong. If you don't have some rural experience, you might consider getting some (shadowing at the minimum) and letting schools know via update letter, especially NEUCOM and your in-state DO school.

Thanks for your thoughts - I really appreciate the time you take to reply, not just to me, but everyone in the same situation!

Any thoughts on how update letters are viewed in general? Do they get read prior to the interview offer decision, or do they just become part of the file?

Any thoughts on how update letters are viewed in general? Do they get read prior to the interview offer decision, or do they just become part of the file?
They become part of your file. They'd be read with the rest of your application at the monthly file review meeting where interview offer and acceptance decisions are made. It's my opinion that they help if you are borderline in some respect, but they won't totally pull you out of the basket if your application is poor.

I've seen it happen that some added rural shadowing resulted in a positive acceptance decision.