Pleaseeee Give Me Your Opinion About What You Think Are My Chances

hellokitty12903

10+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2005
Status
Hi Everyone,
I was wondering if you could pleaseeeeeeee give me your opinions. I wish so much to go to USC Dental School. I interviewed in November, and yet have not heard from the yet. Here are my stats:

Overall GPA: 3.51
Science GPA: 3.50

AA: 18
PAT: 15
QR: 16
RC: 19
Bio: 16
GC: 17
OC: 20
Total Sci: 17

Can you guys give me your opinion of what you think are my chances of getting into USC? I love USC so much, I wish so much with all my heart to go there. Can you give me your opinions? This really means a lot to me. Thank you soooooo much. :)

Profchaos

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2004
Status
hellokitty12903 said:
Hi Everyone,
I was wondering if you could pleaseeeeeeee give me your opinions. I wish so much to go to USC Dental School. I interviewed in November, and yet have not heard from the yet. Here are my stats:

Can you guys give me your opinion of what you think are my chances of getting into USC? I love USC so much, I wish so much with all my heart to go there. Can you give me your opinions? This really means a lot to me. Thank you soooooo much. :)
Another :sleep: thread. Why do you wanna go to USC anyways, they are so expensive and their boards are low. Your stats are average, maybe you should try to be proactive and push them a little bit. BTW I don't like anything to do with hellokitty, I think that cat is fat and phony. Just kidding :smuggrin:

Biogirl361

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 7, 2004
Visit site
Status
hellokitty12903 said:
Hi Everyone,

i don't know anything about USC but i think that you should have retaken your dat a long time ago when you got your scores if you wanted to have the best chance of getting into your 1st choice no matter where that is. you have a good gpa but not good enough to get away with 15's, 16's, 17's on your dat. that being said, if you got an interview that early and haven't been rejected yet then they must at least be considering you, so i guess like the rest of us you will have to wait and see...at this point in the process nobody can actually estimate anyone else's chances anymore.

ItsGavinC

Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2001
Arizona
Status
Dentist
GPA is great, but DAT scores are low.

Don't sell your self on one school. You never know what doors might open for you.

airvent

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2004
Status
Your OC is fine..but you would definitely get in somewhere if you brought each score up be 2 points. Retake it and study Biology!!!

And do not get too enamored with one school. Like GavinC said other schools have different things to offer that you may not even be aware of yet.

dentist_to_be?

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2005
Status
Dentist
Your GPA is high... which is good, thats half the battle. Unfortunately, they use the DATs to compare you with other students... especially with a lot of undergrad programs having grade inflation, so graduate programs have now resorted to using the tests to judge how you compare. I personally think its sucks, because one test doesnt judge your ability as a student. However, my school has been accused of grade deflation, everyone has low gpas, so we rely on standardized tests to get us into grad schools.

Best of luck. Dont lose faith, they might just be waiting until all the interview are done. Im sure youll get in, you got an interview, which means they are seriously considering you.

SadSmile

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2005
Status
Want an honest opinion?

Your GPA is not impressive because your DAT is low. The admission people will look at GPA and DAT, and just think that your grades have been due to some unusually generous curves.

I know people with 3.2 - 3.4 Science GPA who went through a $65 DAT Review Book during their spring break and one extra week after that (two weeks total) and got 19 or better in all sections. When they were asked what course they had taken to prepare for the DAT (they meant Kaplan or anyother review courses) at their interviews, they told the interviewers about all the pre-req's they had taken over the years.

To be honest, all those pre-req courses should have given you enough info to get 19 on the science sections if you had gotten A's or even B's.

17 or below with 3.5 GPA makes people question the level of difficulty of your science classes, which is crucial.

Sorry, I didn't have any encouraging things to tell you but good luck.

Qarmonist

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Nov 11, 2004
Status
hellokitty12903 said:
Hi Everyone,

What school did you go to for undergrad by the way and what was your major. Also did you do a lot of extracurriculars and stuff they may be holding you and comparing you with others over what extra things youve done which. Gluck and yes USC rocks I know I happen to agree 100% with you. 100k extra is well worth it, in my opinion, and the boards aren't low either, no school really has low boards, they all manage to to get through. Most students that don't pass boards are the people that either want to get married and have the mind frame of ending school in the middle and settling down, or hate dentistry and go into a different proffessions, thats mostly what messes up those board numbers.

Mo007

Gifted Hands
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2003
Columbus, OH
Visit site
Status
SadSmile said:
Want an honest opinion?

Your GPA is not impressive because your DAT is low. The admission people will look at GPA and DAT, and just think that your grades have been due to some unusually generous curves.

I know people with 3.2 - 3.4 Science GPA who went through a $65 DAT Review Book during their spring break and one extra week after that (two weeks total) and got 19 or better in all sections. When they were asked what course they had taken to prepare for the DAT (they meant Kaplan or anyother review courses) at their interviews, they told the interviewers about all the pre-req's they had taken over the years.

To be honest, all those pre-req courses should have given you enough info to get 19 on the science sections if you had gotten A's or even B's.

17 or below with 3.5 GPA makes people question the level of difficulty of your science classes, which is crucial.

Sorry, I didn't have any encouraging things to tell you but good luck.
I concur.

Take this advice seriously, as well as others.

I had similar GPA, but slightly better DAT... especially the PAT, get it up to at-least 17.

Good Luck... you need it. ;)

openwidepls

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 1, 2004
Status
Did you apply to any other schools? And did you have volunteer and shadowing experience - which are also extremely important? I think that your profile matches pretty well with USC acceptance stats, but I can think of a few other schools that you would have an even better shot at getting in (Buffalo for one). If this cycle does not work out for you (and I really hope you get in!) I would retake the DAT with much focus on the PAT portion. Honestly, the rest of your scores are very similar to others that have been accepted, regardless of what some of these cats might be saying.

Good Luck To You

aceking

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2004
Status
your DAT is too low for any Cali schools maybe except for LomaLinda.

low dat may give second thoughts about your decent gpa.

however, i know that USC are probably the slowest app processing school in the nation. very slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. If you get a reject letter is probably going to be in like June and that applies for every applicant.

maybe u have or u will get some good new from outside of Cali