Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

pleasssse help. Columbia vs. Maryland

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by aowm88, Dec 26, 2008.

1. aowm88

Pre-Dental
    i got into other schools but these are my two favorites. what are the key things that distinguish these schools from each other? :confused:

OTHER than facilities.... lol, thanks!
    also i'm not in-state maryland so other than price as well.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Bodhi4092

10+ Year Member

Dentist
    I have not been to Columbia, but from what I understand their curriculum is tied into the med school so you might get a lot of information in lecture that isn't relevant to your goals. Maryland only has gross anatomy in the med school across the street and might be a bit more efficient lecture-wise, plus they record all the lectures online. I also keep hearing that Columbia's facilities are older and UMD is brand new, but you may just be tired of hearing that. A big factor to consider is whether you want to live in NYC or Baltimore for 4 years.

4. CookieDough

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I am also down to my final stretch as far as picking between Columbia and Maryland....

5. aowm88

Pre-Dental
    thanks for the responses guys :)
    lol yea maryland is obviously prettier.
    nyc and baltimore are both great, major citites. i'm talking about the schools themselves. like is this a pick one out a hat situation or are there real differences?

curriculum:
    - i know maryland doesnt have block scheduling for exams so its pretty much some kind of test every week. is columbia like that also?

-maryland takes boards after the first year. how about columbia?

- also, at the interview at columbia i think i remember hearing people talk about how the curriculum is changing for 1st year students... does anyone know about this? i really dont remember i may be thinking of somewhere else.

for sure i know columbia has a pass/fail/pass with honors grading system while maryland has the standard letter grade system but either way you are positioned via class ranking so that doesnt really matter too much.

class size:
    columbia's is 75. maryland's is 130. is smaller better?

to address the classes with med students thing at columbia:

i know. it's fine. they teach towards the boards... like everyone else. i dont think it matters because they dont grade everyone together and its not all their classes anyway. just the ones that are similar enough to make sense to take together. people keep talking about anatomy but when i interviewed they said that you learn everything but you focus on whats most important which is head and neck; and the combined lectures break of into groups for follow up discussions that focus on dental rather than general medical applications. sooooo really i dont think it'd be a disadvantage or an advantage either way.... unless someone knows better and would like to share (pleaassse???)

clinical:
    please no hear-say on this one. does anyone for a fact (i guess these means people who currently attend these schools and have experience with this) feel that going to columbia would not allow for adequate clinical training? or is this just something people say and the truth is really ur education is what you make of it?

i guess these are my main questions. cookiedough, add questions too so we can figure out where to gooooo!

#4 aowm88, Dec 27, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  6. nydds25

2+ Year Member

You are right about the Columbia curriculum change. This is what we were told on interview day....

The first year and a half will be only med school courses. No dental lab's, or preclinic lectures. No picking up hand tools or tooth anatomy. You will feel as you are a med school student. 1.5 years in, there will be a lot of preclinic and dental lectures to make up time , then I guess start clinic summer before 3rd year.

This is what I was told by a few students and touched upon by the deans. They also said the details are still being ironed out. My interviewer also told me the condensed med school didactic is gonna be really tough.

7. HupHolland

5+ Year Member

Dentist
    :eek:

Can someone else in the know at columbia confirm this? that sounds scary.

We're in dental school to become a dentist, not a physician.

Hup

8. nydds25

2+ Year Member

Yes.. I would like more input on this as well from current students or other interviewees. This is honestly what I was told. They said with the new condensed med school curriculum, there would not be enough time to do the dental lectures and labs for the first year.

9. aowm88

Pre-Dental
    i think i'll email dr. mcmanus cuz he said we can email him questions. because the curriculum part of the presentation seemed pretty fuzzy at the time and even more so now. i'll post his response when i get it

10. nydds25

2+ Year Member

Not sure if you had interviewed there, but in the presentation, they focused on how they view dentistry as "a subspecialty of medicine" and want their students to have a strong foundation in systemic health.

This is supported by the change in their name from School of Dental and Oral Surgery, to the College of Dental Medicine.

11. HupHolland

5+ Year Member

Dentist
    No I didn't interview, but I do know you learn by doing not sitting in a lecture hall. All that extra time in the lecture hall with the med students is pointless unless you do a 3-4 year internship/residency afterwards as they're required to do. Lecture provides a foundation; you don't build the house until you actually do.

All this changing the name of the school and granting a DMD vs. DDS is just to give clueless kids a hard on.

Hup

12. aowm88

Pre-Dental
    didnt take long for this thread to get weird/useless. thanks

13. tjdent

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    its a one-year GPR and thats only if you plan on practicing in New York state

14. HupHolland

5+ Year Member

Dentist
    Re-read the post. I was talking about med students.

Hup

PS - and, yes, this thread has gotten side tracked.....

to the OP: I absolutely love Maryland. I love my (most of) my class and (most of) my instructors. There will be bad apples whereever you go. There are plenty of opportunities for research, although very few people actually persue them because often times you're just trying to stay afloat with the DDS curriculum. However, we have 3 months off after 1st year and 5 weeks off between D2-D3.... so there is plenty of time to do some "research" then. The city of Baltimore is alright- look at my others posts for the pro's and con's. However, we're extremely close to DC which is one of my favorite cities in the country. We're also not far from Philly. The rate of people specializing at Maryland, I would venture, lower than Columbia but I don't think going to Maryland puts you at a disadvantage when comparing to Columbia kids. Our school is more clinical in nature (and if what was written above about nothing getting into pre-clinic labs/courses until 1.5 years deep, I find that kinda scary) and we have very advanced facilities so I think people see GP in a better light than people from schools with med curriculums and decrepit facilities.

That's my 2 cents.

#13 HupHolland, Dec 29, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  15. summersy

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I interviewed and got accepted to both maryland and columbia and chose columbia. It is true about the nicer facilities at maryland, but columbia has everything you need to succeed. The cirriculum change is true as well. We had a meeting with the deans about it. It really looks to be impressive if it is implemetned correctly. It looks to be a more efficent use of the time. They are cutting hours of some classes, e.g. anatomy to reduce the reduncy. They are also talking about more clinic time and getting in earlier as well. I am sure that you will still need to do a gpr afterward even if you are not staying in New York. Though if you are looking to specialize I SAY COLUMBIA FOR SURE... OUR MATCH RATES ARE INSANE I THINK LAST YEAR IT WAS 14 FOR 16 IN ORAL SURG. If not the strong medical background will allow you to deal with medically comprimised patients.. sometimes I wonder if we will need to know alot of stuff that we learn, but I am sure it will come into use... So just my opinon is columbia, but I am not saying nothing bad about maryland..

16. tjdent

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Can anyone confirm that? thats very impressive if accurate

17. Mackchops

Mackchops Toothy grin
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    The year I applied it was 11 of 13.

If you're sure you want to specialize, I'd choose Columbia. If you're unsure, or sure that you DON'T then go to Maryland. Columbia doesn't hide the fact that their curriculum is designed with the belief that dental school should be at least 5 years long and expects their graduates to do post-grad training.

Maryland might be a more well-rounded school, but if you want to "specialize" in getting into a specialty you can't beat CU's placement rates...

18. caloriefree

7+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Is this true that one needs to do GPR even if you're not staying in NY after graduation? Is this only for Columbia or for other NY dschools as well?

19. tonto1

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    not true at all, you can do whatever you want to do after you graduate from columbia just like any other school.